“High Crime parking lot with no servalience”

SpringHill Suites Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Logan, Utah
“High Crime parking lot with no servalience”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed here for one night before flying out of the Salt Lake City airport over Christmas. I should have been concerned when we checked in because when we walked up to the desk, 2 employees were talking about a car in the less visible side of the paring lot that had been broken into. We left our car in the parking lot there for 9 days. We parked in the closest spot possible to the front lobby doors of the hotel. When we got back, one of our tires had been terribly slashed. When I reported this to the desk clerk, she said that 2 employee cars had been vandalized in the lot in that same time period. One had a window smashed, and the other was keyed really bad. She said that the lobby and front doors have cameras, but that they face IN the hotel. NOT at the lot.

There is a very small pool but not a hot tub. Other than that, the room was affordable and clean, and breakfast was great. Still, it wasn't worth getting our tire slashed.

Room Tip: Park where you can see your car and DO NOT leave your car there.
1 Thank HollyUtah
RHemsley, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I'm sorry to hear that that happened to your car. Unforunately, as is the case everywhere, theft can occur if items are left unattended in a vehicle. Your comment is the first time I am hearing about vandalism. We do our best to be vigilant. I'm sorry again for your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Marcellus, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is about as close to the SLC airport as you can get (next exit on 80) and was very economical and convenient. The hotel itself in tucked in behind the Hilton Garden Inn (stayed there my last visit - see my TA review if interested), which makes it a bit hard to find, but once there we were very impressed with the lobby and room. Both were immaculately kept and modern.

The room was very functional, with a nice couch, desk, fridge and microwave, two queen beds and a bath setup where there was a half-bath, and then a separate room with the shower and a sink. It was a good design for multiple guests as one could shower while the other(s) still had access to the loo! However, it offered limited privacy (sound-wise) due to the sliding doors.

We used the airport shuttle which was convenient and quick. Our driver was courteous and helpful, and very prompt.

Highly recommend this hotel - we found our stay enjoyable. One tip - if we stayed again I would ask for the top floor, as you could hear kids above us running around for a short while before bedtime.

• Stayed January 2014
RHemsley, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
You have a way with words! I'm glad everything was to your liking, and we would be happy to put you on the top floor next visit.
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel was just a few minutes from the SLC Airport making it very convenient for a late cold night arrival. The hotel staff was very quick and friendly and the room was very comfortable. I liked that the heat was already on and I didn't have to wait for the room to warm up. Breakfast was a combination of cold and hot which was very much appreciated. I definitely will be staying here again on future business trips.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Great! We'll see you next time you are in Salt Lake City.
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed with my 3 kids and wife one night before we had a flight and we both thought it was one of the cleaner hotels we had been to in a long while. The front desk staff was very helpful, the pool is a bit small but the kids had a blast. We did not get to eat breakfast as we left at 4am but there was hot coffee so I was happy!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing us. Here is a secret about the pool at our hotel, if you ask the front desk they will turn on the fountains that shoot out from the pool deck and into the pool. They are aren't usually on as they put out a lot of spray, but the kids love them. See you next time!
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, United States
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The décor was very nice at this property, but I would not call the room a suite. The desk was separate from the 2 beds by a translucent partition. I looked in the booklet, and it said there was 24 coffee in the lobby, but there was not. Also it said the Pool and Whirlpool were open 24 hours, but there is no whirlpool.
The walls are thin, as I heard people talking in the next room and using the toilet at 2:00 am.
The door to the shower room is also translucent and right across from the bed, so there was light shining out when my hubby was up very early to shower. It made it a little harder to sleep.
The breakfast was very crowded, and not too good.
There are so many other hotels in the area. I am sure many of them would be a better choice.

1 Thank Sharon P
RHemsley, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry you weren't happy with you choice to stay with us. I would hope you might give us one more chance when you are back in Salt Lake City to do a better job for you. We usually receive high marks on our breakfast selection.
Greensboro, Georgia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We were halfway through a 26 day road trip when we stopped at this hotel. It was all that the reviews had said - clean, comfortable, and convenient; and should have rated 5 stars. However, after a good night's sleep, my husband went out to the truck a little before 8:00 the next morning, loaded his suitcases, locked the truck, and came back in for my things. About 15 minutes later, he went back out with my things and found that the truck had been broken into and all of his things stolen! Since we were on a road trip, this included all of his clothes, his medicines, laptops, an expensive gun - over $6000 worth of items. We were always careful to take everything in at night, but this was in broad daylight in the parking lot directly in front of the hotel!!!
While we were talking to the front desk person, the assistant manager walked up, asked what happened, and kept walking. She was unavailable because of a "meeting". Marriott's insurance agent told us they were not responsible because their signs clearly say that they are not responsible for things left in vehicles. I really don't know how you pack to leave without leaving things in the locked vehicle if you have to make 2 trips into the hotel!! When I mentioned that there were no security cameras or personnel, she said that would only be a deterrent. Wouldn't a deterrent be helpful??? I finally wrote Arne Sorenson, CEO, who sent my letter to the manager of the hotel. He wrote back, apologized, and offered to refund the price of the room. Of course, with the automobile deductible and the homeowner's deductible, we were out far more than that. We also lost a day of vacation trying to replace some of the stolen items and talking to police, as well as putting a cloud over the rest of our trip.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frances M
Your comments serve as a poignant warning to all travelers, to beware of criminal activity everywhere. As I said in my letter, I'm very sorry this happened to you.
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Room cramped. Separate toilet room. Noisy on I-80. No jacuzzi. No restaurant. Breakfast poor. Instant oatmeal. No waffle. Fresh cantaloupe at least. Airport shuttle shared by 3-4 properties. Property is cutting corners and it shows. Breakfast below standard. Would not recommend or stay there again. Many other hotels nearby.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business