“simple stay from reservation to check-out”

Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“simple stay from reservation to check-out”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The SLC Hyatt Place offered up exactly what the hotel brand does best; a consistent stay from start of the first contact to checkout. I booked the hotel in a pinch when the last evening flight from SLC-to my destination departed full at 10pm and I was a standby reservation. In this scenario I needed (actually wanted) a nearby airport location combined with the brand standard comfort level that I enjoy. Having stayed at Hyatt Place before and seeing the rate as reasonable though pricier than the Microtel/Comfort Inn level of other hotels, I booked the reservation as soon I was realized I couldn't get a seat on the flight.

The hotel answered the courtesy phone situated in Bag Claim of Terminal One promptly. No complicated phone directories or being put on hold just to summon the shuttle van. THe phone is located right by Door 6 which is the pick up location for the van. About 10 minutes later the van arrived for me. The driver apologized for being late. Late? Who knew? I'd say an "on-demand" pickup after 10 minutes of an unannounced call is great service indeed.

Plan on around 7-9 minutes for the van ride. THe hotel location is off the flight path, thus the hotel is quiet. For those with kids seeking or hoping for a location of a hotel with eating nearby for the kids, this isn't your hotel. The hotel is situated in pure low rise office park territory with seemingly nothing around. Runners however that want more than the standard hotel fitness center can surely loop around the officer parks/warehouses and crank out the mileage. Check-in was a breeze. I wasn't hungry but there is hot food available, drinks, and snacks. The elevator is huge too. You could be a traveling concert pianist and have space to fit your grand piano in the guest elevator.

The room itself was classic Hyatt Place which really was the point after all. The signature couch was there; love it. The bed was super comfortable. Just a single bathroom sink so although there was a mini-fridge, there wasn't an extra sink near the bar as some of these hotels have. No big deal there. The air con worked fine and soon I got down to the business of sleeping.

THe next day I didn't have time for the gym, but the fitness center is standard for a limited/hybrid service hotel. Check out was also very fast. There's a mixed complimentary breakfast and paid menu hot items available

THe van operates 2x/hour to the airport which is reasonable. The front desk said at slow times they can be a bit more flexible, but I was leaving at 7am. The driver that took me back to the airport was just as friendly as the one that picked me up. Overall, the hotel delivered textbook Hyatt Place amenities and service. In my mind, it's a service worth paying for. One can expect a spacious, well designed room floor plan, and a good mix between complimentary munchies and paid extras. I would definitely come back to this hotel and based on what I saw at this hotel I'll remain loyal to Hyatt Place's when the time/need arises.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Chester idaho
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We booked our reservation well in advance with credit card and received a confirmation email and reservation number. We booked with Hyatt Place for the following reasons:
It is close the the airport and we were to arrive back late at night.
It offered the "Park and fly" option so we could leave our cars (We met in SLC in separate vehicles)
The suite had 3 beds for my family of 4 (including 2 teenagers of different genders)
The reviews were positive
The hotel was more expensive than those located downtown but that is too be expected and worth it if you want to save time getting to the airport. I also paid the additional price for the park and fly package, also worth it for convenience. The reason I am giving such a poor review is because we got none of that on or second night back from our return trip, and our reservations were not honored.
We arrived in SLC at 11:00pm tired and with kids. I called the hotel for a pick up and the shuttle arrived promptly. The problems began when we got back to the hotel. There were three parties from our flight ready to check in all with reservations and confirmation numbers, but NO ROOMS!
The clerk on duty was upset and flustered, he seemed more concerned about how his manager put him in this situation than the predicament of us and our fellow travelers. It was like he felt he was doing us a favor finding us rooms. He was able to locate barely enough rooms for everyone. The room he found for us however was not the same size suite as we reserved. They only had a room with a pullout and a king bed available. "I asked if they could get us 2 rooms as that I have a boy and a girl that are too old to share a pullout" He was quite positive that this was our only option and very rude about it "What is the problem, there are 2 beds and 4 people, its the best I can do". With no other option and tired we got back on the shuttle and drove 30 minutes up to the Cottonwood Heights Hyatt, as we had no idea how to get there ourselves. (REMEMBER: We have two cars parked at the hotel and paid already on the first night for that convenience so we could get an early start in the morning,)

On a positive note: The Hyatt did pay for our second night stay and shuttle ride BACK to the Airport Hyatt to pick up our cars in the morning and the room was clean. But believe me, the loss of travel time and sleep on a barely full size sofa bed with my 5'8" daughter, while my husband got the privilege of sharing a bed with his 16 year old son was not worth it.
Why would they sell rooms that have reservations, I understand if something goes wrong occasionally, but all the travelers on our flight lost their rooms? unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lynda M
ohio
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Even though you can see the planes landing from this hotel, I noticed they really don't start arriving until after 6:30 a.m. so it's really a non issue. Very nice, clean place. We had the double queens with sleeper sofa (family of 6) and had plenty of space. Pool is nice, even has some toys. Breakfast was really good, large selection. They also have salads and pizza and stuff available all night for late arrivals. It is a 5 minute shuttle to the airport in the morning. Very convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I stayed one night June 2014 after arriving at SLC on an evening flight before heading off to a family reunion. I chose the hotel because it was close to the airport, reasonably priced, and because it had late night food service. Our overnight stay was quite pleasant. The staff when we arrived was very friendly and alert. The room was large, with a comfortable sofa for watching TV. What they had for food is not really room service. They have a lobby cafe/bar where you can call in your order then pick it up to take to your room. My husband took a grab-and-go salad on our way up to the room, and I later ordered flatbread (like a pizza) and beer for "take out". The food was fresh and tasty. The complementary hot breakfast in the morning was also good including scrambled eggs, sausage and fruit, though they were a bit slow refilling the coffee urns. I looked around the facilities before checking out and it looks like they have a nice pool and exercise room, but we did not use them.
Overall, it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Big Piney, Wyoming
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Clean, comfy, spacious, and modern - the staff was friendly and helpful, and breakfast was great. Didn't use the exercise room or pool. Very quiet room as well - thought we were alone on the floor! Will stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2014
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It was nice clean hotel for family stay, very close to airport. Break fast was good. only issue was cleaning up of tables during breakfast was little slow, needed to call few times. But overall service was good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nikhil D
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 26 May 2014

On the outside, it looks great -- stylish, warm. Staff is very nice. But they mis-wired the rooms. If you're lying in bed to read, you have to go to the main switch by the door to turn the whole room dark. The receptionist told me to move some plugs from the "bottom to top" but the plugs were behind a massive couch. And when I spoke to some maintenance guys, they said it was a mistake in the design of the building and "nothing could be done." Really. No solution? I can think of several.

So if you like to stumble to your bed in the dark, you'll love this place.

Breakfast was good. But, really, fix the electric mess (which I also experienced at another Hyatt Place). Incredible!!

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the airport. Noise.