“All around bad experience”

Higher Ground Coffee
Description: They did not have an official name for a while, so the sign outside says The Coffee Shop.
Salt Lake City, Utah
“All around bad experience”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I felt like trying something new and was in the area. I arrived early in the morning and was first confronted by the worst parking lot. The Grand Canyon sized pothole at the entrance of the lot scraped the entire bottom of my car, only to be compounded with no place to park. I finally got through the door to be greeted with a unpleasant musty odor, the tables were dirty and the place was mostly empty. When i approached the counter the man working was sitting on the side playing with his laptop, dishes were piled three deep on the back counter and the place looked grimy. The service was generally friendly, yet the man behind the counter looked confused and my drink was not very good. I wanted to have my drink to stay in a mug but I was informed that "All the mugs are dirty," and had it to go instead. That musty smell turned out to be coming from the server as he reeked of B.O. needless to say I left very dissatisfied. I tried Higher Ground once more the following Sunday. When my husband and I arrived there were ten high school aged kids smoking MARIJUANA on the patio, the store was empty of customers and employees. After waiting about five minutes one of the girls who had been smoking marijuana on the patio came rushing in to help us. Again the drinks were not very good, the girl behind the counter had to ask my husband three times what he ordered as she kept forgetting due to her intoxication. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank Meridith S

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Awesome local coffee shop”
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I read about Higher Ground Coffee in my local newspaper a few weeks ago. I am not a regular coffee drinker but I will splurge on occasion. While I am known to visit Starbucks, I prefer patronizing local shops when feasible. This little coffee shop is great!! The coffee was excellent (I had the White Chocolate Mocha Mint and it was so creamy and rich.) It was also the perfect temperature (hot but not so hot that I burned my tongue.) The little shop has plenty of seating and bright light. The barista was very nice and quick. It had a "Cheers"-vibe to it (as certain people walked thru the door, they were greeted by people already in the shop.) Some food items are also on the menu (oatmeal and bagels.) I can't wait to try the iced chai on my next visit.

• Visited May 2011