“Check-in was a big fiasco!”

Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Daughter had a pre-paid gift card from the hotel. She called and made a reservation. When she called, she informed them of the gift card and was not required to give a credit card number. After driving 7 hours to get there, the hotel worker at the desk told her she needed a credit card to check-in. When she informed the employee she did not have a credit card nor did she have a debit card, nor was she told she would need one when she made the reservation. The worker said to bad, so sad. The employee would not take my card number over the phone which I have done on several occasions. The employee emailed me a link that I could use to input my card information. I did that and was given the option of using the card to cover room and taxes only, all charges, or other. I selected room and taxes. My daughter called back and stated the worker would not accept my selection even though they offered a choice. The worker said I has to select all charges even they gave an option on the link he provided. It took more than an hour and half to get this all straightened out. What a pain. I won't be staying these this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael M
Jeff N, Director of Sales at Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Michael M,

I'm very sorry for the poor check-in experience. Please know that we take every precaution to protect the personal information of our guests, especially their credit cards. That being said, we certainly could have handled this better. I will have our front desk staff review these procedures.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,011)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

A. Very nice and comfortable rooms.
B. No working ice machines on floor. Had two that were down for the week we were there. When an engineer was asked about them, was told that they had more important things to do than repair ice machines. We asked about refrigerators. Were told that hotel had three and that we were the first on the list. Never did see one. This is a facility that has over two hundred rooms (est.).
C. Don't try to get a block of rooms close together. Our party's travel agent requested a block of rooms close together. Rooms ended being all over the property!! The request wasn't a last minute request. Request sent in several months ahead of time.
D. Found out half way through the week that hotel had a shuttle available to make runs to the Salt Palace. One thing unique about Salt Lake City street blocks is that they equal two to two and a half times the length of a typical city block. When the feet are tired and sore, the shuttle service was nice, just wish the staff had informed us going in. They knew why we were in Salt Lake City.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the high rise. The two story section doesn't have an elevator. Moving a lot of...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Pines-SA,

I apologize that the ice-machines were not working when you stayed with us. Please know that we do view these machines as very important to our guests! I will share your comments on this topic, along with room blocking, and shuttle service with our team to look for ways to improve their responses to customers.

Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel lives up to the standard of other Sheraton hotels. Clean, centrally located with excellent customer service. We did not get to take advantage of the amenities like the pool, but our room was great with a lovely balcony view of the mountains. There was some traffic noise, but nothing too bad.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Annie L,

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review and for your loyalty with Starwood!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Salt Lake City was the kickoff to our family vacation, hitting 5 states and 3 National Parks. We were greeted by the manager who congratulated us on our 100th stay with Sheraton. She then proceeded to upgrade our room to the club level. In addition, some chocolate covered strawberries were sent up for us to enjoy.

The rooms were great, spacious, comfortable and the club level included breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres. Service was prompts and water pressure was good, beds comfortable. Starbucks in the lobby and easy and free parking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear walker6325,

I hope you had a great time on your family vacation, it sounds like a lot of fun! Thank you for selecting our hotel as the beginning of your trip and we hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Hotel looks impressive at first glance, but the accommodations are only okay. There wasn't really special about the rooms, the tv was terrible with only a few analog cable channels. Shower pressure was less than impressive. Overall the room was only okay. Scored this on Hotwire for a girls weekend away with my kids, and wouldn't pay full price unless you're dying to get close to downtown and don't really care about much other than the location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear EMSt0ne,

Thank you for the feedback on your stay and I'm glad you enjoyed our downtown location. You may be interested to know that we are upgrading our cable TV and we will be giving our guests a much greater selection of HD programming for their rooms!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel is an SPG hotel so we expected some benefit. We were in smaller rooms on the road side which we could hear traffic from. A party was in the room next door, security finally shut it down at 3:30am. We had no sleep that night. The hotel has a Starbucks! Rooms are very noisy!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel, or don't stay on the street side. If your an SPG member it doesn't ma...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ASUTraveler
Jeff N, Director of Sales at Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear ASUTraveler,

Thank you for being a loyal Starwood Guest! I appreciate your feedback on the noise during your stay. We should have shut down that party sooner and I will share your comment with our security team.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed at this property about 6 months ago and loved it, so the next time I was in SLC I booked it again. I must say I was not as impressed the second time around. The accommodations are still nice - the bed is comfortable, the room was clean and the location is an excellent downtown location with relatively easy parking. I ordered room service the first night and had the steak salad. It was delivered promptly and I must say it was outstanding!

The reason why I am only rating my stay as "average" for this trip is because of the inconsistent service I received. When I first checked in the person at the desk was very nice and courteous. I noticed the room was a bit warm when I first walked in but figured it would take a while to cool off. I left and came back later in the day only to find that the room was 82 degrees while I had the thermostat set to 75. I called down to the desk to have the attendant tell me "oh - yeah - they are working on the AC in the tower and that it would hopefully be fixed later that afternoon". Mind you it was about 5:00 PM at this point, so later in the afternoon seemed like it wasn't going to happen. The room eventually did cool off a bit, but I think that was only due to the temperature outside dropping a bit, and it was still pretty stuffy in the room. The next morning it was colder than what I had the thermostat set at, and the next afternoon it was warmer than what I had the thermostat set at. I am convinced that the hotel controls the temperature in the room, because the thermostat in my room did nothing.

Another "beef" I had was with the Club. There was a time I went in to grab some coffee and the machine was not operational. There were a few times when I went in to grab some water and there was no bottled water. The hors d'oeuvres selection in the evening was also limited.

Finally - on my second day I misplaced my hotel key card at some point during the day, so when I got back to the hotel I went to the desk to get a replacement. I showed the attendant my ID and told him my room number. He said "that's not your room number". I said "yes it is" - he then shook his head at me like I was the stupid one. We went back and forth like this a few times and he finally came back and said "I'm going to get my manager to help you". After waiting a few minutes the manager came out, apologized and resolved the issue (apparently they showed me as being in a different room).

In summary - the pros are the room and the location, but this visit these things got overshadowed by poor service and a lack of temperature control in the room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank themosh1

Dear themosh1,

I'm sorry your 2nd visit wasn't as good as the first. Based on your review, I definitely see room for additional training for our front staff and I will share your experience with them. This information helps us always improve and we hope you will still continue to be our guest in the future.