“Top Notch”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The property is immaculate and very beautiful. Everything is very opulent and detail oriented. The service was great and the staff were helpful and friendly. We requested a room high up and on the north end of the hotel and we received the northernmost room on the 16th floor. With floor to ceiling windows we had an amazing view of downtown SLC and the mountains. The layout of the room made it feel very spacious and the bathroom was very clean and big with marble everything and high quality into every corner of the whole room. The King bed was comfortable the only complaint that I can come up with is that the pillows were a bit too stuffed and a bit uncomfortable. I am sure we could have requested different ones and we would have been taken care of immediately, however, I didn't find it necessary. I do feel it was pricey but the service was great and the hotel is by far the best in Salt Lake City.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
TheGrandAmerica, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear kurtg19-

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your feedback! When your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you as our guest once again.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

The hotel is very nice. Being so close to the free portion of the light rail makes it very easy to get other parts of Salt Lake City, particularly the Salt Palace and the area near the LDS headquarters. It is a great place to stay for a conference.

One thing which just stuck in my mind and rubbed me the wrong way was having to pay a separate $10/day fee to swim in the indoor pool. Don't get me wrong, it's not a lot, and I would not notice if they just upped the price of a room, but it comes off as an unfortunate reminder of airline fees. That said, that fee also gives you spa access, which is lovely, but it would be nice if they could disconnect the pool access from that fee.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I did not stay in the hotel as I was only here for a conference but I agree that it is beautiful. My complaint was the bartender was not friendly and they severly overcharge for a low tier wine. $14 for a glass 1/3 full for wine that is less than $14 a bottle. I understand "markup" but this was ridiculous.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
TheGrandAmerica, Director of Restaurants at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at The Grand America Hotel. We truly appreciate the feedback you have given us. We are sorry to hear about the issue you had with our bartender and have discussed this with our entire bartending team and are taking the necessary steps to avoid this issue from affecting the experience of our current and future guests. We will also take this opportunity to reevaluate our current pricing. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again at the Grand America.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel was absolutely gorgeous. The decor is extremely elegant, very traditional and very high-end finishes. The staff is really nice and helpful, as well as courteous. The food was great. I wanted to take that marble bathroom home with me!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
TheGrandAmerica, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear GnatChat -

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is always great to hear our guests appreciate the detail in our furnishings, our food and helpful staff. We hope you'll stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Salt Lake City.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

While on business in Salt Lake City, we stayed at the Grand America, an amazingly beautiful hotel with an incredibly elegant atmosphere. Upon check in, we could hear a harpist playing in one of the entry areas, and the music was wonderful. We appreciated the citrus water and chocolate chip cookies that were in the lobby as well. Our room was an executive king suite and it was spacious and clean. The decor and furnishings are very elegant. The day was so nice that while I was in my room, I opened the sliding glass door (we were on the 7th floor) to let in the fresh air. Across the street at Little America, construction was going on, so normal construction noise could be heard, but only when the door was opened. The sliding glass windows looked like they could use cleaning from water and dust spots on the exterior, but I'm not complaining, just stating. The internet connection in the room was very fast, which was a plus. The bed was quite comfortable, but when my husband came to bed, I felt like I was falling into the middle. We had dinner at the hotel in a banquet room and the food was surprisingly delicious. We were served filet mignon and salmon as well as potatoes mille feuille, which was very delicious. The hotel provided a turn down service which consisted of putting out a robe as well as a tray containing slippers, a chocolate, a breakfast room service menu, and information for the next day's weather. We also used the fitness room twice, and the exercise machines were first rate. This gym had a large selection of equipment. Aside from the room rate, other fees that we paid included a fee for the gym (per room) and parking. This is the nicest hotel in Salt Lake City as well as for miles around.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
TheGrandAmerica, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Idaho208-

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about The Grand America. We really value our guest's feedback and appreciate you taking the time to provide it. We hope to welcome you back to the Grand once again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here while visiting our Son and celebrating my husbands birthday. On check in they gave us a choice of rooms, one on the very top floor and another near the top, since we wanted the mountain and downtown view we chose the 19th floor. This was the King suite and well worth the money. The decor was of the "old world" and the bathroom is totally granite. The staff were all very nice. Centrally located near the trac so a rental car is not necessary, one can take trac from the airport. They normally charge $10 for parking, but waived the fee as the garage is open most of the time. We did not eat at the resturant but the setting was beautiful. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor with a view of the mountains....a must. Question the parking fee, they will waive it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Another wonderful experience at the Grand. Just a couple of small hiccups, though. First, I forgot my toothbrush. Housekeeping was closed (9 pm) so I called the bell desk. I explained my situation and was promised a toothbrush. I waited 45 minutes and no toothbrush. I finally called the front desk and a toothbrush was sent up in less than five minutes. Then the next morning, our in room coffee maker did not work. I called the front desk (housekeeping closed again) and instead of offering to send up a new coffee maker or at least a couple cups of coffee, I was told there was coffee available in the lobby ($4 a cup). This hotel is one of the two Five Diamond hotels in the State of Utah. Waiting that long for a toothbrush, or not being offered a new coffee maker or a free cup of coffee is unacceptable. Other than that, this is a fantastic hotel that my wife and I always look forward to visiting. Weekend rates are unbeatable for such a nice establishment. We're actually looking forward to another stay in December.

Room Tip: High floor, east facing.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TheGrandAmerica, Front Office Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Wasatchskier,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience during your recent stay at the Grand America. We truly appreciate the feedback that you have provided us.

We are happy that you enjoyed your overall experience. However, we are disappointed to hear that we provided inconsistent service and that we did not exceed your expectations as a Five Diamond hotel. We pride ourselves in providing service at the highest level and sincerely apologize if we compromised your experience in any way.

Please know that we have taken the necessary steps to ensure our bell, front desk and housekeeping staff are aware so we can avoid these types of misfortunes in the future. Do not hesitate to contact me personally for any future visits to Salt Lake City so that I may see to the details of your stay.

Warm Regards,