“The only place to stay in Salt Lake City!!”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Grand America Hotel. From start to finish this hotel does not disappoint. First and foremost the staff make this hotel special. As beautiful as the building is the staff make the hotel shine. Always available and helpful, I never felt like I was disturbing them with questions. We stayed in an Executive Double Queen room. The room was spacious and very comfortable. My daughter loved the heated swimming pool. I ate in the Garden Restaurant only once but unfortunately it was an off night. The food took a long time and wasn't very good. The staff gave us a dessert which was wonderful and the best part of the meal. My husband and daughter ate there for breakfast often and really enjoyed it so I think my experience was more unusual. The downtown location was perfect for both exploring the city as well as hoping on the freeway to head to the mountains. I would not hesitate to recommend The Grand America hotel and it would be the only place I'll stay when I return to Salt Lake City.

Room Tip: We had requested a mountain view but were not able to get that view but our city view was great.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear NurseBryna-

Thank you for providing your valued feedback regarding your stay with us! It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us were impressed by our property and staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand upon your next visit to Salt Lake City.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,587)

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was our second Christmas visit at the Grand & we were so pleased to return. Nothing disappointed us about our second stay. The Christmas decorations & spirit were in full bloom exciting all of the visitors especially our grandchildren. The staff is wonderful – we just can’t say enough good things about them. The lunch buffet on Christmas Eve was marvelous. The mattred’e for his visit to our table & friendly greeting (he had made us feel welcome last year as well). What could I possible say about the fabulous room & view of the Wasatch mountains. The room décor was elegant & we love the marble throughout the bathroom area.
The finishing touch was the Christmas stocking on Christmas morning. That is such a special tradition. The kids loved the indoor pool very much because it was hard to get them out.
Happy New Year & we will be back,

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed at the Grand America Hotel for a week and a half for a conference that I was attending.

This is an impressive property, almost bordering on being over the top. I stayed in one of the King Executive Suites, and the size of the suite did not disappoint -- it was larger than my condo in the DC area. The bed was super comfortable. There was plenty of closet space as well as plenty of electrical outlets. Everything was well appointed and comfortable. The room also had good WiFi coverage. The only thing was the in-room safe did not seem to work.

The bathroom itself was huge, with both a separate toilet area as well as a shower stall and bathtub. It is hard to see how they could have managed to include any more marble or brass. The shower had great water pressure, and the bathtub was quite nice as well.

As many others have pointed out, the service here was excellent. The people were genuinely friendly and ready to help without hesitation. They had nice facilities on site, such as a lobby lounge as well as a hotel bar, both of which had decent food and a good selection of local craft beers.

The location was not bad. The hotel is a short cab ride (less than 15 minutes) from the airport. There is a light rail stop about a block from the hotel that can take you to the downtown area for free. Although the city blocks are longer than I'm used to on the East Coast, the hotel is still within a 15-minute walk of many good bars and restaurants.

So, in terms of the rooms, service and location, I was impressed. This was definitely one of the best hotels that I've stayed in around the world.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2013

As everyone says, this is a lovely hotel with great service. What it lacks are the common things that make staying with a family even better. I wish it had in room coffeemakers and a place to hang wet swim suits. The pool is wonderful, but you have to search for it (in the spa and take an elevator). You shouldn't really dress in your bathing suit to get there because you have to go through the lobby to find it. They have dressing rooms at the pool area. If you just want to have pizza in the room, you can get it, but it's quite expensive to order room service. The Santa brunch and tea looked lovely, but since we were unaware of it when we booked our rooms, we couldn't participate as it was booked up. There is no free breakfast included. So if you're traveling as a couple or a single adult, this will likely have all you need. As a family, we did enjoy the toy store and decorated windows. We ate gelato at the little cafe/gift shop. It was a lot of fun because the lobby was more than just a hotel lobby. There was Disney channel in the room. Liked the chocolate chip cookies they had near check-in. Valet parking was expensive, but convenient.

2  Thank alibarbaraMilwaukee
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is a great hotel. The fine detail that was put into this hotel exceeds most other 5 star hotels. The friendly service was also great. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone who seeks the very best .

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the nearby mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Having spent nearly 200 nights in hotels this year, it is rare that I actually hate to leave a hotel. The Grand America is opulent, clean, huge rooms, terric service etc, etc, etc... Really a wondeful experience!

Everyone at this hotel seems to understand customer service and the detail to luxury and cleanliness exceed anything I can remember in recent travel.

When you check into this hotel you feel as though you have stepped back in time without forgoing any modern luxury, They offered me an upgrade to a suite for $30 which I declined and I honestly can not imagine a nicer room (700 sq ft) than the standard room I received!

I happened to be staying there on a snowy day in December with Christmas music constantly playing in the backround, it was so nice I would describe it as surreal!

I will be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JZwinski
Reviewed 15 December 2013

For those of you who read my reviews, you know I try to provide information that is helpful, fair and honest. This hotel has so much to recommend it. The rooms are just about perfect ---large, with sliding doors that open to a Juliette balcony, the beds super comfortable, there are double sinks in the bathroom, separate tub and glass enclosed shower and lovely amenities. The robe and slippers are plush and turn down is early and efficient. Wifi is included in the rate and parking, at $13 a night, is fair. The people are lovely, the spa excellent, the fitness room is large with great equipment.

The only shortcomings are the concierges who are not quite as knowledgeable as they could be and, because of the size of the hotel, the lobby and the valet parking can be jammed during busy times. Upon our arrival at the hotel, the car lineup was so long we couldn't even get on to the property. As the line slowly moved to the hotel entrance we gave up and self-parked. We were surprised no bell people were located by the hotel entrance in the garage. We had to go up to reception and then go back down to the car with the bell person to get our luggage --- a very strange system.

But these two negatives are minor and did not affect our visit. We would definitely recommend the Grand America.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple