“Impressed by the room!”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed here this week and really had a great stay. The check in was smooth except the bellhop put us in the wrong room. I didn't notice it until we unpacked but when I looked outside, I realized it was not the view we had requested, and the front desk made a big deal about. The State building side. I was ok with the mistake, we all make them, but when I called down and then visited in person, they kept saying "you must have it wrong Mrs Dunn". I was really getting sick of staff saying, "no your view must not be that". Finally they realized they had us in a totally different room. The bellhop must have a key to all rooms and simply put us in the wrong room. Anyway, when the front desk told me "we are all busy, and I am sorry you have a headache and that you are tired" I was about ready to ring scream. I simply said, I am not tired and don't have a headache, I simply want you to see what room we are in. Once they realized, they were fairly sorry. We just decided to stay since it was dark by then and the view didn't matter, and we had to laugh when 5 minutes later the bellhop showed up because he told we needed to move. Ok, long and short, poor communication. BUT, aside from this: The room was simply lovely. The customer service, really top level. 5 star really. I was a bit hesitate with the gold and marble photos, but it works. The bedding pink, but it works. It was really lovely. We had a huge room that looked old, and we were so surprised to hear built in 2002. Turn down service was so sweet. The candy store is a must stop. Lunch in the cafe, overpriced and slow- we should have ventured out into salt lake. The bar in the lobby fun around happy hour. Lots of people. Fun to people watch with Sundance film festival going on.
The bed, very comfortable. Nice hair products. Oh the bath... I got excited as I never get time for a "real" bath at home and when I went to take a bath, the handle fell off mid fill up. Finally my husband got it shut off. I was so made frustarated because I wanted a nice kid free bath. Maintenance came right up and 30 minutes later I was in the bath. :) Robe nice and soft! We got cookies sent to the room for our checkin inconvenience. Hot coffee early in the am in the lobby as we had an early flight. They had a nice $20 breakfast if we could have slept in, we would have done that. Lots of yummys. I would stay her again in a second. It was really nice. I stayed at the Monarch on the first part of my trip, they were so different, yet both really great stays.

Room Tip: Book on the state building side. Although the other had a pretty sunset. We loved the bigger room...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 January 2014

No doubt this is a very nice hotel, and the rates are not bad compare to up-scale hotels in other major cities. The location is great, service was excellent, but it lacks warmth and character. The room was large with good sitting space and a nice balcony looking the mountains.

TIP: if you are there on Sunday DO NOT miss the brunch, its excellent!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is my second time staying at the Grand America. We enjoyed ourselves so much the first time we planned a second visit and made sure we were there for Christmas! It was magical!! The christmas trees and extremely large victorian gingerbread house were an absolute delight for the children and adults as well. This time we stayed in a tower suite with a kitchen and laundry, this was great as sometimes there wasn't time for a leisurely breakfast before hitting the slopes for a day of skiing. We couldn't recommend this hotel and its staff more highly, they were always helpful and quick when requesting a service, our room was always neat and tidy and well looked after. Upon leaving this hotel I felt quite sad to know it would be a long time before I visit again, my children especially will miss the chocolate chip cookies in the foyer every evening! Keep up the good work Grand America and one day I will be back to indulge in your good hospitality!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Turned up after a week of budget hotels on a business trip for a surprise R&R overnight here before the long flight home. Wish I'd been here all week! Staff made you feel comfortable right away and very well looked after without any pretentiousness. Enjoyed a late meal in the garden room (you simply must have the chocolate mousse) and then retired to the girls' lounge for a nightcap, feeling rather decadent and very happy with my husband's thoughtfulness to secure this treat. Felt instantly relaxed from the moment I arrived and wished I hadn't had to leave at some ungodly hour for the airport the next morning... especially when the flight was delayed and I could have stayed and had the leisurely breakfast that looked so tempting on the menu. I also made use of the opportunity to buy some tempting treats to take home in the late opening shops and was suitably wowed by the largest gingerbread house I've ever seen and all the Christmas decor, with glitz that wasn't tacky in the slightest. I can't wait to get my whole family over to enjoy a stay here and really see what SLC is all about - it was beautiful from the windows! Thank you Grand America.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can! I was on the 24th floor and the view was amazing. Rooms are spacious, extreme...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a 3-day weekend a couple of weeks prior to Christmas. I had stayed at the Little America Hotel during 2 previous visits to Salt Lake City and this time I decided to splurge on the Grand. While I loved everything about the Grand, I think I would have been equally happy to stay in a tower room at the Little America. The Grand America is everything you envision for a hotel of this quality, and I'm glad I had the chance to experience it, but the Little America is also a beautiful hotel and comes at a much lower price.
The room itself was quite large (I asked for a mountain view) and spacious. Wifi access is free. The soaking tub was welcome, as there is a fee to use the hotel's indoor pool (which I had been looking forward to, but didn't think I'd make enough use of it to justify $10/day). The common areas of the hotel are beautiful, especially when decorated for Christmas! I ate breakfast in the restaurant one morning, and the apple pancakes were to die for. The hotel is right next to the Trax line which provides easy (and free!) access to downtown Salt Lake.
Overall, I had a good experience at this hotel, but would probably opt for the Little America across the street on a future visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a mountain view on a high floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The hotel is elegant as are the rooms. There are wonderful shops as well as an amazing candy and cookie fantasy store. Breakfasts are divine and the gardens and mountain views are spectacular. This is a wonderful hotel to call home while you are exploring the city of Salt Lake. Be sure to see Olympic Park where future Olympians train during the summer months. The Mormon Tabernacle a choir is a must see/hear.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden in the rear. The executive suites are wonderful!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Grand America Hotel. From start to finish this hotel does not disappoint. First and foremost the staff make this hotel special. As beautiful as the building is the staff make the hotel shine. Always available and helpful, I never felt like I was disturbing them with questions. We stayed in an Executive Double Queen room. The room was spacious and very comfortable. My daughter loved the heated swimming pool. I ate in the Garden Restaurant only once but unfortunately it was an off night. The food took a long time and wasn't very good. The staff gave us a dessert which was wonderful and the best part of the meal. My husband and daughter ate there for breakfast often and really enjoyed it so I think my experience was more unusual. The downtown location was perfect for both exploring the city as well as hoping on the freeway to head to the mountains. I would not hesitate to recommend The Grand America hotel and it would be the only place I'll stay when I return to Salt Lake City.

Room Tip: We had requested a mountain view but were not able to get that view but our city view was great.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear NurseBryna-

Thank you for providing your valued feedback regarding your stay with us! It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us were impressed by our property and staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand upon your next visit to Salt Lake City.