“Grand sized rooms, great location and service”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I cannot believe how large the rooms are! Plenty of closet space, shelving, drawers, and separate sink and toilet areas from the shower and marble bath tub. Luxurious grapefruit scented toiletries provided as well. Beautiful lobby and public areas upon entering and very welcoming and helpful staff. Chocolate chip cookies enjoyed by my husband and son were the perfect touch.

I found the Grand America to be very clean, interiors kept up to date and not worn out, beautiful views of the surrounding mountains, and great location with nearby trolley in the free zone. One tip-in room coffee maker provided on request.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kathy1966
Write a ReviewReviews (1,559)

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here in early January (family of five) for 4 nights and it is hard to dislike the Grand America. Good rooms, great service and there is something a bit unique about it. Location is near the City Gate Centre which is really great you catch a free tram right outside - fun and the CityGate Centre is a great shopping destination (Macys, Bloomingdales etc). Some compare this hotel to the St Regis in reviews and I think that is a stretch - but it really is very very good. If you go there are three things you have to do during your stay 1) go the spa and hang out- or just use the gym, this is one of the best gym/spas we have ever seen - incredibly well appointed 2) swim in the indoor pool (gorgeous) and 3) go to the kids store downstairs if you have kids - very cute. I suspect it is the best place to stay in SLC. Check in service could be better/friendlier - doesn't match the upmarket impression you first get of the hotel. I also agree with some reviews that say there is a lack of warmth/character to it (a few candles would help!). Overall though - a very safe luxury bet...but no it is not the St Regis so make sure your price is right. Go for it!

Room Tip: Rooms with a kitchen are good.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fiona P
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent visit to The Grand America Hotel in such detail. We are always delighted to hear from our guests as part of our continual effort to improve the experience at The Grand. We are honored to have earned your family's trust and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

What can I say? This hotel is top notch. Extremely well run, impeccable service and gives you that 5 star feeling. Nightly turn down service is a must, marble bathrooms, huge rooms. I'd stay here a million times over!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We enjoyed a great stay at the Grand America after a recent long haul from Australia. With three large teenage boys, our family of five were surprised at the size of the double kitchen room. We had two queens and a large sofa bed and there was still heaps of room to move around. Bathroom was really large and well appointed. We were expecting a cramped room but were very impressed and enjoyed a really good night sleep. Great spot and would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed here this week and really had a great stay. The check in was smooth except the bellhop put us in the wrong room. I didn't notice it until we unpacked but when I looked outside, I realized it was not the view we had requested, and the front desk made a big deal about. The State building side. I was ok with the mistake, we all make them, but when I called down and then visited in person, they kept saying "you must have it wrong Mrs Dunn". I was really getting sick of staff saying, "no your view must not be that". Finally they realized they had us in a totally different room. The bellhop must have a key to all rooms and simply put us in the wrong room. Anyway, when the front desk told me "we are all busy, and I am sorry you have a headache and that you are tired" I was about ready to ring scream. I simply said, I am not tired and don't have a headache, I simply want you to see what room we are in. Once they realized, they were fairly sorry. We just decided to stay since it was dark by then and the view didn't matter, and we had to laugh when 5 minutes later the bellhop showed up because he told we needed to move. Ok, long and short, poor communication. BUT, aside from this: The room was simply lovely. The customer service, really top level. 5 star really. I was a bit hesitate with the gold and marble photos, but it works. The bedding pink, but it works. It was really lovely. We had a huge room that looked old, and we were so surprised to hear built in 2002. Turn down service was so sweet. The candy store is a must stop. Lunch in the cafe, overpriced and slow- we should have ventured out into salt lake. The bar in the lobby fun around happy hour. Lots of people. Fun to people watch with Sundance film festival going on.
The bed, very comfortable. Nice hair products. Oh the bath... I got excited as I never get time for a "real" bath at home and when I went to take a bath, the handle fell off mid fill up. Finally my husband got it shut off. I was so made frustarated because I wanted a nice kid free bath. Maintenance came right up and 30 minutes later I was in the bath. :) Robe nice and soft! We got cookies sent to the room for our checkin inconvenience. Hot coffee early in the am in the lobby as we had an early flight. They had a nice $20 breakfast if we could have slept in, we would have done that. Lots of yummys. I would stay her again in a second. It was really nice. I stayed at the Monarch on the first part of my trip, they were so different, yet both really great stays.

Room Tip: Book on the state building side. Although the other had a pretty sunset. We loved the bigger room...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2014

No doubt this is a very nice hotel, and the rates are not bad compare to up-scale hotels in other major cities. The location is great, service was excellent, but it lacks warmth and character. The room was large with good sitting space and a nice balcony looking the mountains.

TIP: if you are there on Sunday DO NOT miss the brunch, its excellent!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is my second time staying at the Grand America. We enjoyed ourselves so much the first time we planned a second visit and made sure we were there for Christmas! It was magical!! The christmas trees and extremely large victorian gingerbread house were an absolute delight for the children and adults as well. This time we stayed in a tower suite with a kitchen and laundry, this was great as sometimes there wasn't time for a leisurely breakfast before hitting the slopes for a day of skiing. We couldn't recommend this hotel and its staff more highly, they were always helpful and quick when requesting a service, our room was always neat and tidy and well looked after. Upon leaving this hotel I felt quite sad to know it would be a long time before I visit again, my children especially will miss the chocolate chip cookies in the foyer every evening! Keep up the good work Grand America and one day I will be back to indulge in your good hospitality!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family