“Loved it!”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 26 February 2014

For whatever reason, I had a negative image of this property in my head. Boy, was I wrong! This is now one of my favorite properties. From the friendly, courteous greeter at the entry door to the bellman who assisted with my luggage, the service was top notch. The property is also beautiful. I did not go to the spa, but the common areas and my room were decorated in tasteful, quality, luxurious furnishings. My one complaint was that I had noisy neighbors on my final evening, so I guess the walls could have had better soundproofing. Will certainly return when I am in the area and I'd recommend this to friends.

One suggestion, if you want a more casual but full breakfast, go across the street to their sister property, Little America, and enjoy The Coffee Shop.

2  Thank Altchar
Write a ReviewReviews (1,587)

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Whether you are on a business trip or planning a ski vacation or both, the Grand America is a great place to stay. Every room is a well appointed suite. There is a spacious sitting area with a desk, great for catching up on emails. The bedroom is large and also has it's own separate TV. The bathrooms are the best with a separate shower and bath tub. There are two separate sinks so there is no need to compete getting ready in the morning. There health club has all the latest equipment plus free weights. The staff really make the experience enjoyable. I left my coat in the lounge. Before I realized I had left it, I received a phone call asking me if I had left my coat. A few seconds later they delivered it to the room. I also found the concierge service very helpful in finding a great restaurant nearby.

1  Thank Bobmobilelime
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Bobmobilelime-

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Grand America Hotel. We were delighted that the service quality and facility met your expectations. We are humbled by your kind remarks about our concierge staff, fitness center and accommodations. We will look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stay dates: 2/18-2/20 (3 nights for an on-site conference)
Room: 1977 - Premier Rooms Double - two double beds
Service: Excellent. Front desk/check-in experience was friendly/warm and efficient; other staff in the hotel (housekeeping,bellmen, etc.) were also very friendly and attentive. Check-out was efficient and they also offered to get a cab for me. Good staff that anticipates needs and offers help before you have to ask.
Dining: I had lunch at the Garden Cafe. The soup and seared tuna main I had were very good and the service was also attentive, efficient and friendly. My traveling companion had the lunch buffet and was also pleased with the quality of the meal. The rest of my meals came as part of my conference and the hotel catering did an AMAZING job serving nearly 1000 people very high quality buffet food. I was impressed. I had drinks on two occasions in the Lobby Lounge and the drinks were good and service was also excellent.
Public areas: the lobby and all other areas of the hotel are very impressive and beautiful. Gorgeous materials and furniture throughout. Everything is well-maintained and in excellent condition. Depending on the time of day there was either a harpist or other musician performing - a nice touch. Another nice touch is the tray of very good chocolate chip cookies near the check-in desk.
Room: VERY large and also in great condition. Very clean and no unpleasant odors. The bathroom is gorgeous and huge and the separate WC is a nice touch. I loved the Antica Farmacista toiletries. Towels were soft and fluffy. Water pressure and temperature also perfect. My only complaint is that the sheets on the bed were a little rough on the first night and while comfortable, the mattress isn't the best I've slept on.
Gym: I used the gym three times - two cardio workouts and one back/tricep workout. Plenty of equipment and very clean as well. I did not have time to use the pool.
Parking: we didn't have to pay to self-park.
Verdict: I'd definitely stay here again. A nearly perfect hotel stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor w/views of the mountains - the views are great.
1  Thank Mark-in-Boston
Reviewed 21 February 2014

enjoyed the Grand for Valentines weekend. This site rated it 2nd out of 75 places to stay in Salt Lake, certainly to each his own. But I'd like to know what is first. Classy elegant, clean, beauty every where. Helpful people I don't care that they are being paid to be nice to me, Well done. Worth the ticket

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Christie B-

We are proud you recognized and appreciated the friendliness of our staff during your stay with us over Valentine's Day weekend. It is a pleasure to hear that you chose to stay with us for this special occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Built for the 2002 Olympics, the Grand America is a colossus with 775 rooms, so there's a challenge for it to feel intimate and personal. Instead, it tries hard to impress with (too much) grandeur, but any real elegance is undercut by just plain tacky moves like the pool fee, the self-parking fee, and the woefully understaffed Gibson lounge.

However, our suite was comfortable, the bathroom was great, and the concierge was very helpful.

We were here for meetings but would have preferred to stay at the Monaco with its excellent restaurant Bambara.

Downtown: make any excuse to get a haircut or shave at Ray's, 154 S. Main.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Hapness
GAHotelsandResorts, Guest Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Hapness,

Thank you for staying with us at the Grand America Hotel. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your guest suite especially the bathroom. Thank you for recognizing our Concierge, we strongly believe our personnel are our greatest asset!
That being said, we are very sorry for the lack of personnel you experience in our Gibson Lounge. We do hope we are always prepared and ready to serve our guests. We are very sorry you found the fees for our newly remodeled Grand Spa and self-parking as inappropriate. We do hope if you return to Salt Lake City in the future you will visit us again. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally as I would be delighted to welcome you back to the Grand!

Best,

Annie Fitzgerald
Director of Guest Experience
The Grand America Hotel

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This place makes you feel like a movie star or something. All of the food was ridiculously delicious. They have 3 or 4 very cool shops including a candy store and a separate pastry/sweets shop. :) Do not expect to get a deal as it is pricey. (But they did have an AAA discount for all my people.) :)

The room was huge and beautiful. OK mini-bar. Awesome shower and tub. Very nice TV's and probably the most comfortable beds in Utah. :)

Room Tip: The hotel is over 20 stories tall so get a room up high for very cool views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wal-Dawg
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Attention to detail sets this hotel apart. One example, the water. When you turn on the hot water, it is hot. No waiting, no letting it run, it is hot when you turn it on, and it is soft. I travel a lot, I do not know another hotel, even 5 star that has soft water to the rooms.
This is one small reason to use the Grand.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business