“Business & Pleasure”

Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“Business & Pleasure”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Wonderful hotel in every way. Great rooms with great views - I overlooked the courtyard and mountains. Very friendly and helpful staff - some go beyond the 'call of duty' to help take care of things; this was most appreciated. Spa was wonderful too - wish they had their own whirlpool section though.

1 Thank Laurie0560

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Terrific room with outstanding views of the city and Wasatch Mountains. Great inner courtyard and garden area with exquisite landscaping. Very friendly and helpful staff. Weird Utah liquor laws but what are you going to do about that? Luxurious bathroom. A little disappointed with the quality of a room service lunch but otherwise perfect.

Room Tip: We liked the view to the east and the Wasatch Mountains. Also, the higher floors have a better view...
2 Thank christopherpee
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear christopherpee-

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor. Guest feedback is very important to us and we're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Grand. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Salt Lake City.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This place has surprised me on two separate visits. The rooms are bright and modern and large and the prices have been remarkable. My visits were in conjunction with professional conferences. I don't know if that mattered, but the location is great; the facilities first rate; and the staff is helpful and courteous.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rob k
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I attended a summit that was held at this hotel and we experienced everything from accommodation to meals (in the restaurant and at the summit) and general service of the staff across the board.
I'd recommend it to anyone traveling in the area. The rooms are exceptionally spacious, the meals are most enjoyable and the facilities for the summit were fantastic. If you want a view of the Rockies be sure to ask for a room with this view.
It is only 10 minutes from the airport and a train service literally stops outside the front door, allowing you to take a free ride up to the centre of town (also only three stops away so you can walk if you want) where you have an awesome mall with restaurants (if you get tired of hotel food).

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Rockies.
1 Thank David B
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 7 May 2014

For Salt Lake City - this place is as good as it gets! It's a beautiful property with wonderful amenities. The corner suite I stayed in was just amazing! Top notch restaurants and lounges as well as a neat gift shop there as well. Bill Cosby was staying in the hotel the same night I was, and I met him during breakfast in the lobby!

The only reason I give it 4 stars, not 5 is that the staff was fairly unimpressive. They did their jobs (valet, desk clerk, room service) but they seemed a bit disorganized and not very enthusiastic. As someone who has stayed in several top notch properties - I can tell great service from average service in about a nano second. My recommendation would be to bump up your hourly wage and hire top talent.

Overall a great stay - location is incredible!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TheSaent
GAHotelsandResorts, Front Office Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear TheSaent -

We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the Grand America Hotel including our amenities and restaurants. Thank you for taking time to give feedback regarding your most recent stay. Your feedback will be useful in helping us evaluate how we can best train our staff to ensure we provide the highest level of service consistently.

Please to not hesitate to contact me personally for your next visit to Salt Lake City. It would be my pleasure to greet you personally and see to the details of your stay.

Regards,

Tony O'Brien
Guest Experience Manager
The Grand America Hotel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

In my opinion by far the best hotel in Salt Lake City. Having stayed here several times the rooms and service are always top class. The atmosphere is very relaxing. Compared with the rest of the US the prices are very reasonable. A light breakfast in the lobby bar/restaurant area may be a better choice than the main dining room - which is also excellent. The afternoon tea is very nice. Location is a little away from the center - too far to walk.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet with high floors on the North and east sides having good views across the city t...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Granada100
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand America Hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and kind compliments. We look forward to welcoming you back once again upon your next visit to Salt Lake City.
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I ended our week long honeymoon at the Grand America Hotel and, sadly, were deeply disappointed. The Grand America is a stunningly beautiful hotel but eventually you get over being transported to the 1930's and want some modernity injected into the experience. We felt profiled as late 20-somethings wearing jeans and t-shirts (it was the weekend!) and felt many times that the staff didn't expect us to be guests. My husband got into a quarrel with the valet as soon as we arrived. I was ignored for a time, standing with two coffees in hand before one of three bellman standing around would open the front door for me (yet they bounced at the chance to open the door for an older, well-dressed group). And the maid service was never informed that there were TWO people staying in our room, so the turn-down included just one robe and one set of slippers although two of us were staying there. On top of that, we didn't appreciate $13 tacked-on for parking and $10 tacked-on for use of the indoor pool (in early May the outdoor pool is not open). Weren't we paying enough for our king suite? The last strange occurrence was being offered a bottle of sparkling lemonade at 6:30 a.m. while we checked-out of the hotel with our bags packed for the airport. After being spoiled by another hotel with a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries during our stay - this seemed laughable. In short, if you are from out of state and under the age of thirty, go stay at Hotel Monaco up the street. For a so-called five star hotel and at the rates we were paying, I expected a lot more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marina H
GAHotelsandResorts, Director of Guest Experience at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Marina H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us at the Grand America Hotel. We sincerely appreciate the candid feedback that you have shared with us.

We were saddened to read that your stay was disappointing. Our valet staff is trained and coached to provide a kind and welcoming experience. I am sorry for the delay in opening the doors and the impression given to you in the process. I was disappointed to hear that the communication between the front desk and housekeeping was not clear, thus resulting in your room not being prepared for two people. I can see how this was disappointing and I am truly sorry. I was saddened to read that our departure gift of Sparkling Lemonade and an upgrade certificate for a future stay was not to your liking, we truly wanted to honor your special occasion and thank you for being our guests. Please accept my sincere apology for not exceeding your expectations.

Marina H, we expect only the highest level of service be provided to all of our guests. Unfortunately, it sounds like we did not hit the mark with your experience. I am truly sorry that we were not able to provide a memorable Honeymoon experience to you. We pride ourselves on making each guests experience personalized, no matter their walk in life. I am very sorry we were unable to do this for you. Please know that we have discussed your experience with our leadership team to ensure the disappointment you experienced will not happen in the future.

Marina H, if you choose to return to Salt Lake City, our doors will be open to you. Please reach out to me personally as I would be happy to oversee the details of your future stay. Until then, we remain at your service.

Annie Fitzgerald