“What a gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Des Moines, Iowa
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our recent stay at the Grand America Hotel was outstanding. We ended our vacation in SLC after spending a week in Yellowstone National Park and Grand Tetons. I am sure going from staying in cabins and the long drive to SLC made us appreciate the hotel a little but from the time we pulled up in the drive until I checked out five days later it was wonderful. The rooms are absolutely beautiful and the staff is outstanding. The first night was total leisure and we had a great time. I had meetings after the first night and the meeting accommodations and service was perfect as well. The grounds are very well manicured and beautiful. During our lunch breaks it was great to sit in the garden and return calls! So if your travels take you to SLC for pleasure or business, it is worth your while to check out the Grand America Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Kathe913

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Went to this hotel based on another persons recommendation. Had the sad luck of being there when Les Schwab, a Midwest tire place, was having there yearly " meeting", if you can call it that. I've never seen a more inappropriate and foul mouthed group. The pool, which was supposed to be family friendly was transformed into a beer guzzling, blow up ball fiasco. At one point there was 2 large blow up balls and one football being tossed around like fools. Two women with newborns were disgusted and left after their children were almost hit at high velocity. The most ridiculous part of it all is that the staff and hotel did absolutely NOTHING...............Over $300 a night for this.......???my wife and I have decided to leave early and get out of here. I'm appalled not only at the level of inappropriateness of these so called "managers" from Les Schwab but at the complete disregard for all other patrons at the hotel. This group was a bunch of hoodlums. Shame on this hotel for not governing these people better. Do yourself a favor, save your money and head somewhere else or, at the very least call and ask if they're hosting any conventions the days you'll be there. One things for sure........I won't be back

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank rgl1100
GAHotelsandResorts, Director of Guest Experience at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear rgl1100,

Thank you for staying with us at the Grand. We were saddened to read about your experience and very sorry your stay was not enjoyable. We do pride ourselves in being able to accommodate the needs of all different guests with different needs. We do recognize when these needs disrespect other guests and make every attempt to ensure we rectify the situation. We would welcome the opportunity to personally discuss your stay with you. Please reach out to me directly at afitzgerald@grandamerica.com at your convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Annie Fitzgerald I Director of Guest Experience
The Grand America Hotel
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed two days at the Grand America on business in the month of June 2014.

Exterior

The hotel’s exterior is attractive and stately. The grounds are well-kept, and the vegetation is managed exquisitely providing a visual anchor for downtown Salt Lake. The hotel is tall and easy to spot from virtually anywhere in the city. The hotel features arching access routes with valet and a rotating main lobby door. Music is piped through the exterior softly, adding a layer of depth, most of which is classical, and in some respects, very Disneyesque.

Lobby

The hotel lobby gives you a sense for what the hotel is all about: you are surrounded by massive marble slabs, stunning rugs and tapestry’s, crown-molding, chandeliers, and real hand-carved wood furniture. All of this, and it is tastefully assembled.

Checking in was a most pleasant experience: the receptionists were attractive, professional, and very engaging. Though I had a little difficulty understanding my receptionist, whom spoke multiple languages no doubt, I was able to affect my business with no issue. I noted that all three front desk receptionists were well trained, delivering the same information to guests with delicate care.

From the lobby, one can access the rest of the hotel – rooms, lounge, restaurants, retail, and the quite expansive business and convention space in the back, all surrounding an amazing rather large and fancy courtyard.
There is a piano and a full-sized harp in the retreat next to the lobby bar. I even saw the harpist play the harp. When was the last time you saw a harp played in a hotel lobby?

Room

My room was on the 7th floor in the middle of the hallway, overlooking the courtyard and towards the mountains to the east. I heard no external noises (outside of the hotel) from within the room, but in full disclosure spent very little time in the room save for sleeping, showering and whatnot. Light control was very good – that is, it is sufficiently dark for those sensitive to light. The room’s temperature was regulated to my satisfaction so I never bothered hunting down the thermostat.

My room came equipped with 2 Queens. The queen beds and linen were clean and extremely comfortable.

The entire room was spotless including the bathroom, towels, and tub area. The fixtures were brass and the shower had an adjustable shower head. Lighting was perfect, and the bathroom came with a hairdryer and various other items. Conveniently, the bathroom is a multi-room layout: there is a separate sink and vanity apart from the rest of the room, nice if you have multiple people in the room preparing for the day simultaneously. The toilet is in a separate small room with a door – also very convenient. And the tub and shower are separate, and of course quite nice. Like the rest of the hotel, all marble and hand-carved wood. The water pressure was excellent, and there was never a loss of hot water.

The room is equipped with an electronic safe, a small refrigerator (stocked full of very expensive snacks) and an Iron and Ironing Board. There are multiple of accessories as well like robes, etc. There’s a TV with a remote control which I did not use.

Staff
The staff throughout the hotel was exceptionally professional, friendly and courteous. As wonderful as the hotel is, it’s the people that make the difference, and they certainly impressed me.
Retail
I didn’t shop at the various small retail shops in the hotel, but they looked very inviting, and employees of these retail shops were as pleasurable and professional as the rest of the hotel staff.

The spa had a plumbing failure during my visit, so it was closed down. It sounded quite damaging and I bet it was going to cost a lot to fix. I never planned on using it, but it looked nice through the window.

Summary

There so much to say about this hotel and so much I’m sure I’ve missed, but I think I could summarize by saying that this is a world-class hotel with world-class employees. I doubt there is a better hotel in Salt Lake, and being from Las Vegas, you’d be hard pressed to find a better hotel in my city – and that’s saying something. I was told what the company paid and the price was discounted. It was extremely competitive. I’ve paid more to stay in a hotel (Grand California Adventure) and got FAR less. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that plans to have a memorable stay in the Salt Lake area. It has amenities for the young to the old, for a large family to the lone executive. Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
2 Thank UNLV_RUNNIN_REBELS
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear UNLV_RUNNIN_REBELS -

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Grand America. We are humbled by your kind remarks and honored that you have recommended us so highly. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand America in the future. Until then, we remain at your service.
Topeka, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was delightfully surprised on my first trip to Salt Lake City when my cab driver took me to the hotel. My first impression is that it is very grand... lots of marble and woodwork, large pieces of furniture with oversized fresh floral arrangements, staff dressed in sharp uniforms offering their assistance. I had to wait about 10 minutes to check in to this hotel, and was very happy with the room I was given (1183). My room was huge... a foyer, a dressing room, a bathroom with a separate room for the toilet, a bedroom and a living room. There was also a tiny balcony (big enough to stand on, but not big enough for a chair) with an amazing view. My room faced east, and I greatly enjoyed watching the gorgeous sun rises each morning. From my balcony, I also had a marvelous view of the formal gardens on the ground level. Such a nice surprise.

The decor is reminiscent of something from the victorian area, but the room was well equipped with plenty of outlets and a comfortable desk chair. The bed was comfortable and I enjoyed the turn-down service each night.

Our meeting was held on the main floor in the Grand Salon room... which was actually two very large room with extremely high ceilings. There were two large marble fireplaces in our room, as well as floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking yet another courtyard with easy access to step outside.

We had both breakfast and lunch in the room... the food was excellent and the staff was very friendly and attentive. Just walking through the hotel, not matter if I encountered a manager or a housekeeper or a store clerk or a receptionist... every single employee would make eye contact and give a greeting. Very nice experience!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank breoni
Dear breoni -

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Grand with us. Feedback is such an important part of our effort to keep improving the Grand's hospitality experience. Thank you again for your kind remarks and for recommending us so highly.
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was also at the square dance convention, and was very impressed with how the convention was handled. There were tables full of gleaming pitchers of ice water in every dance hall. Brunch buffet and seated dinner banquet for approximately 800 people were handled smoothly and the food was delicious. The only glitch in the arrangements was that the convention thought they had arranged for use of the outdoor pool for an hour of dancing, but the pool management said they had not been notified. We were able to use the pool for half an hour, but not allowed to use any sound equipment.

All the hotel interiors are really beautiful and ornate, with terrific attention to detail. The carpets are especially lovely, In our room we noticed that everything else in the room was color-coordinated with the floral carpeting. Room towels were large and plentiful. Elevators were quick and soundless. The ladies' rest room near the banquet hall contained 22 individual stalls (floor to ceiling doors, marble floor and walls) , 17 mirrors and 10 chandeliers. There were chandeliers everywhere -- the hotel must employ at least one full-time chandelier cleaner. Be sure to notice the spectacular flower arrangement as you enter the hotel, and the window displays at the hotel's toy store.

We felt entirely pampered and spoiled -- it was a lovely experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank khoffDenver_CO
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear khoffDenver_CO -

Park City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

By far the best hotel in the city. The hotel and rooms are decorated very well. They have spared no expense down to the details. The service is excellent from the valet to the front desks to the room service. Top notch all around. Love staying here.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Carid W
California,USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. We booked a junior suite with a king size bed.
Room was super clean with very nice furniture. Bathroom had marble decor an was super clean as well. Wifi ( free) was very fast and line never drop. Fitness center had state of the art machines. Service was always friendly and efficient ( less at the restaurant...). Swimming pool could have been a little bit larger ...but nothing to complain about.
Overall, very nice hotel at....decent price!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple