“Slightly Faded Elegance... but a Real Delight”

The Kimball Condominiums
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I've been to a lot of cities, but Salt Lake City has stolen my heart a little. Perhaps that should read "Temple Square" and the inner city has, at the least. AND The Kimball's gracious apartment that I got to use for the best part of a week was perfectly suited to walking to all and everything within that area, along with public transport options for exploring further afield (should one wish to).

The apartment was a good size, although the WC/bath being separate from the vanity unit was a tad odd, it didn't really matter when I was there on my own anyway.

The kitchen was well equipped, excepting there was no way to sweep the floors or vacuum clean anything had I wanted to. Self~catering options need to think abut this aspect a little more, in my opinion! I ate in and prepared all my own meals whilst there, so this kind of thing is very important to me and how I travel. There was no oven, excepting a microwave, but four hot plates and a full sized refrigerator/freezer made for a very workable kitchen.

Room Tip: I think they'd all be good, but it may pay to check how many short flights of stairs there are b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jqqls
There are newer reviews for The Kimball Condominiums

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at the Kimball for 4 nights in June, 2013. It was great. Clean rooms, very quiet, and so conveniently located to down-town Salt Lake City. It was great to leave the car in the free, enclosed parking lot and just walk to the various activities that week. It is within Blocks of great things to do. I'd definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: I don't know of a bad room.... If you want to use the large luggage cart, ask to be put in a r...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben_Bennett10
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stay here every year and with the Trax line available and the airport Trax opening in April we might not rent a car next year. They are older but the location is perfect. Very quiet at night for sleeping. I was in the smallest room with a murphy bed this time. The Murphy bed slept well but the bed is not balanced well though and is hard to get up and down. The kitchen is well furnished but no oven. (stove top and microwave only) There is no daily maid service.
The A/C and heating are sluggish and most nights we were hot. The water controls in the shower are backwards and the water is scalding hot so be careful.
I loved walking out the door and across the street is the Temple. Directly behind the Temple is the new mall and Trax stop. There is a Harmons grocery two Trax stops down in the free fare zone.
They have a computer and printer available to print your boarding pass for 10 cents a page. Free Wifi was a little spotty but worked great most of the time. Parking is provided.

Room Tip: Get off at the JB's / Plaza Trax Station when the airport Trax starts running. It's a short...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FloridagirlP-cola
Reviewed 19 February 2013

The location is the number one thing going for it...it simply cannot be beat! right across the street from Temple Square and everything downtown, it is superbly located.
It's quiet, it's an older building with character and charm and we liked it.
Before getting into the rest, we would stay here again simply because of the location and it is NOT a bad place to stay.
The cons, however, well....a few things need to be addressed. Our one bedroom was nice....with a sagging floor in the bedroom that you can literally feel yourself sink into in one spot. The carpet was bubbled up to a 'wave' several inches high and we all kept tripping over it (in the living room). The bed was a full size....a queen would have been a bit nicer, really, but it wasn't horrible.
What disgusted me were two things: one pillow and two more pillows in a closet meant for the sofa bed had NOT been changed with new pillow cases. Heavily scented woman's perfume were on them, complete with hair. ICK!
The fridge must be 30 years old. I don't care about that if it works. It did work.....with a well frozen over freezer that was dirty.
Another ICK!
Chips on the furniture...the dining room table looked like it had just come from a thrift shop. The overall decor isn't bad, outdated, but liveable.
When we arrived, a gentleman had just checked in and was asking where a certain Ski resort town was located. The girl said, "I'm only 17, how would I know that?!?" Good thing my husband showed the man how to get there on his map. The check-in girl was very rude to this gentleman. Upon checking in ourselves, she handed me the key and began to walk away. When I asked how we go about finding it, her response? "take the elevator". It is a bit of a maze and wasn't difficult, but it was rude.
I don't know if it was her or the building policy, but there are no maps or information provided about the hotel AT ALL. It was frustrating not knowing anything and not always being able to ask. Most of the time when I called to the front desk, there was no answer.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with stairs, make sure to get a room without stairs in the hallway. The hallw...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank snugglebunnies
Reviewed 2 December 2012

So many upsides -- very nice staff, good rooms (from studios to one, two and three bedrooms), downtown parking, next to the History Library, across street from Conference Center, half block to Temple Square. This is downtown Salt Lake but not via your typical Marriott/Hilton/Radisson type experience. I have stayed here many times, thanks to the generosity of others inviting me to stay on their "time at the Kimball," and did again recently and was grateful that The Kimball has kept up its standards all these years. I miss some of the views of the past (the new Library blocks much of that now), but still think it is the best time share/condo experience downtown SLC offers. Way to go folks at The Kimball. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank ryder03
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We came in for a volleyball championship that we at the Salt Palace convention center. And I was going to get some time to use the Family History Library. This place we located close enough to both to walk and not be stressed about the walk. We are right in the middle of everything Salt Lake City and only move the care when we are going out of town.

The unit we are in is very nice, everything appear fairly new, whether that is because of a recent update or being well taken care of. The kitchen is fully stocked, however some of the pieces are rusted and chipped. But not a big worry we just used something else. If you want to make your own meals it is great since they have everything you could need right down to a crockpot.

The staff had been helpful and courteous from the start, they are alway pleasant when you ask a question and never become rude. I would say that in and of itself is enough reason to stay there.

Try it I cannot imagine you will be sorry.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Cheryl W
Reviewed 21 October 2011

The Kimball is a distinctive older hotel that has been retrofitted into condos and time share suites. The unit I had this time appeared to be recently updated; marble countertops, new light fixtures, attractive artwork, and newer kitchen appliances. The furniture is the same elegant Queen Anne I have enjoyed before. The tvs are not yet flat screen, but perfectly okay. The Kimball is just off Temple Square, and you don't have to be a Mormon to enjoy the surroundings. The Family History Library is a unique resource that genealogists and family historians come all over the world to use. It is a 5 minute walk from the Kimball. A longer walk will take you up to the state capitol and Memory Grove. There is a new shopping mall called the Gateway that is accessible by TRAX. Within Temple Square are several restaurants open to visitors. The Mormon Tabernacle choir practices on Thursday nights, and the only thing better than seeing rehearsal is being present for their television taping on Sunday morning.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family