“Double charged”

The Kimball Condominiums
“Double charged”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked a room online last June, and the room was OK, except that it had something of a musty smell, and there were no blinds to shut out the lights from the surrounding buildings that were on all night. But when I got my credit card statement, I saw that I had been charged twice for the room: once by the company that handles online booking for the Kimball, and once by the Kimball itself. So I called immediately and talked to someone at the front desk, who said it must have been a mistake, and she would leave a note for the manager to have it corrected. But it wasn't corrected, and I called back three times, each times speaking to a different desk clerk, who said the same thing. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was transferred to the manager's office, but there was never any response, nor did anyone in management ever respond to my voice mail or e-mail messages. I finally had to submit a dispute to my credit card company to have the matter resolved. This is the most irresponsible customer service I have ever seen at a hotel, and I will not be staying at the Kimball again. I would also advise not using the online booking service, unless you want to pay for your room twice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The rooms always are clean and everything is so well kept. All the staff at the kimball is always friendly and very professional. This is truly a wonderful place to visit. Everybody that works there is friendly and makes you feel very welcomed. The rooms are very well kept and the premises are also kept very clean. It is nice to know that the staff is committed to the kimball it surely shows.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Stony Rapids, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a lovely older hotel with tasteful appointing. The staff were friendly, knowlegeable and helpful. The rooms, though small, were very tidy and quite functional The hotel is within walking distance of EVERYTHING! A wonderful place to stay. We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Make sure you stay in at least a one room suite on one of the upper floors away from the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank dokodojo
Kamloops, British Columbia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I was in Salt Lake City by myself for a few days of genealogical research at the Family History Library. The Kimball was a perfect location, walking distance to everywhere I wanted to go!
The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Special thanks to Nanette who went above and beyond to help me with my reservation. I loved the suite, more unique than your chain hotels. It was immaculately clean and had a charming character. Having a kitchen was great so I didn't have to eat out all the time! Great week!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kamloopser
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed in a 1-bedroom apartment at the Kimball while I was in Salt Lake City for a week for a conference. The apartment was clean and well furnished. There was 1 bedroom with a queen bed, and 1 sofa-bed in the living room. The kitchen had all the necessary dishes, cutlery, pots and pans. There was a coin laundry machine in the building. The internet worked fine. There was free parking.

The building is located right across the street from the Mormon temple complex and about 8 minute walk from the convention center. There is a supermarket within the walking distance. It is also close to a light rail stop with access to the airport.

If you check their website, you will find a promotional offer of a free night stay when you stay more than 5 nights. You should mention that at the reception, and also double check that they discounted it when checking out. In my case they forgot to, and made mistakes a couple of times, before, finally coming to the number that I expected to pay. I don't think it was intentional.

In conclusion, I highly recommend the Kimball. You get the whole apartment for less than you would pay for a hotel room!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank eugene_o
Auckland
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I've been to a lot of cities, but Salt Lake City has stolen my heart a little. Perhaps that should read "Temple Square" and the inner city has, at the least. AND The Kimball's gracious apartment that I got to use for the best part of a week was perfectly suited to walking to all and everything within that area, along with public transport options for exploring further afield (should one wish to).

The apartment was a good size, although the WC/bath being separate from the vanity unit was a tad odd, it didn't really matter when I was there on my own anyway.

The kitchen was well equipped, excepting there was no way to sweep the floors or vacuum clean anything had I wanted to. Self~catering options need to think abut this aspect a little more, in my opinion! I ate in and prepared all my own meals whilst there, so this kind of thing is very important to me and how I travel. There was no oven, excepting a microwave, but four hot plates and a full sized refrigerator/freezer made for a very workable kitchen.

Room Tip: I think they'd all be good, but it may pay to check how many short flights of stairs there are b...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jqqls
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at the Kimball for 4 nights in June, 2013. It was great. Clean rooms, very quiet, and so conveniently located to down-town Salt Lake City. It was great to leave the car in the free, enclosed parking lot and just walk to the various activities that week. It is within Blocks of great things to do. I'd definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: I don't know of a bad room.... If you want to use the large luggage cart, ask to be put in a r...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple