“Lots of little annoyances”

Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Pros:
-The bed was amazing, super comfy, nice down/duvet, great pillows.
-roughly $60 with tax
-walking distance to a few places
-Brewvies and an amazing Thai restaurant on the same block

Cons:
-Our car was broken into in the parking lot! The staff apologized but didn't really care too much. Luckily, there was nothing in there to be taken (except our coins in the console), but they ripped everything out of our console and glove compartment. It pays not to leave ANYTHING in your car.

-Hotel front desk was nice, but not super helpful. They didn't explain which set of elevators would be best to get to our room. In fact, our room was literally right in front of a set of elevators, but since we didn't know this we lugged our heavy luggage around the halls for 5 minutes figuring out how to get to our room. (The hotel has a weird shaped smaller building and a tower with a small hallway that connects them).

-Didn't realize the blow dryer was in the closet under the extra blanket. I looked at the card in the room that listed bathroom amenities. It didn't list a hair dryer. So, in my rush to get to the place I was going to I decided to forgo calling the front desk and just get to where I was going. I wish the front desk would of mentioned this.

-The bathroom was absolutely tiny
-Vent in our room rumbled loudly all night and day

-The maids IGNORE the 'do not disturb' sign. Both days they walked in with the sign on the door, luckily I had locked it. The second day my significant other had just walked out of the bathroom in a towel and the maid nearly saw him nude. I don't understand why they try to come in with the sign on the door and when it is also 9am, no where near check-out time even.

-Walls are thin. Both days we heard vacuums going at 8am loud enough to wake us up. I'm not sure how close our non-smoking room was to a smoking room but every night we'd smell a pretty heavy cigarette scent in our room. Wasn't too annoying, it could of just been someone ignoring the non-smoking room rules.

-Coffee mugs were filthy. They had a greasy film with finger prints on them. Luckily, they also give you two disposable cups w/ lids, so we used those instead.

All in all, I don't think I would stay here again. It wasn't terrible, but with all the little annoyances plus our car being broken into I would much rather play the extra $10-$30 a night to get a better hotel plus some kind of covered/underground parking.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 6th floor or higher, with the blinds even a little open I swear people cou...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I enjoyed my visit to Salt Lake City for a business training at the Salt Palace Convention Center. I choose this location due to the price and it was within a nice walking distance from the Convention Center. The room was great! They provide a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, and iron. I recommend asking for a room with a view of the Wasatch Mountains. The staff was very friendly and they also have a free shuttle to the airport and will bring you to other downtown locations.

You are also not far from the light rail, TRAX, and other bus transportation.

The only reason I am not giving an excellent rating is the food in the restaurant is very mediocre. It will do if you want to eat local, but there are many great restaurants in the downtown SLC area.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2012

i got this hotel for a one night stay through priceline and after i checked the reviews i was a little nervous, but was then pleasantly surprised. i asked for a room on a higher floor and it was clean and comfortable. no complaints here. it seems like this place participates in priceline often, i got it for a $50 bid, so I'd recommend doing that verses paying full price.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wake04
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We sent our daughter to the High School yearly ski and snowboarding gathering in Brighton, Utah. And was lodged at the Red Lion there with three other girls. They charged them 80 dollars" for a stained conforter". I consider that an eggregious act by the Red Lion Hotel there. They did not have enough with thousands of kids in that area. No; they went ahead and charged the girls 20 dollars each for a worn out and dirty conforter claiming they had stained it. Not content with that , they went and checked every single room where the kids stayed and nit-picked and charged them for every single thing they considered chargeable. That is a rip-off with all its letters. In other words they collected enough to buy new linen and equipment for their rooms.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Abel T
Reviewed 26 December 2011

The cleaning crew threw away my deodorant that was in the bathroom. I called and asked if they would replace it and on that call the front desk manager informed me that I needed to pay more money to stay at the hotel. (They did replace the deodorant.)

I originally booked the room for one night, extended my stay for 2 additional nights. I asked the front desk person if they wanted me to come down and pay more and she replied that they would charge my card on the day I leave, not to worry about paying in cash that night.

I explained to the front desk manager I originally called to ask for a replacement deodorant (at 2:00p) that I had been told that my card was to be charged the following day and that I had already arranged for the money to be on my card and because of Christmas I had to transfer online rather than get it in person, and the lady told me we were good on the payment, we'll just wait till the morning. (Like the original front desk person said.)

At 5:00p another front desk person, Nona, called and explained that she didn't care what the lady had told me earlier, that if I did not come pay more money tonight, she was going to have security throw me out by midnight.

I went to the front desk and paid the money, and I get that the hotel should be paid, but the way this was handled was wrong.

You should authorize all the money you need to authorize up front, don't tell a guest that you will do something then change your mind, and don't change your mind when a guest brings up a problem.

The threat of throwing someone out on the last night of a 3 night stay was over the top, and it is the reason for you receiving a 1 star review.

I was not unhappy with the hotel other than throwing away my deodorant, but that was no big deal, the hotel is a little older and a little run down but it is worth the $71 AAA rate.

At first I did find the hotel through priceline for $59 and it would not book, maybe the deal had expired or something, but all in all the hotel is a cheap hotel worth the money, I guess if I am going to stay in an older cheap hotel I am going to get treated like I am a bum.

My experience was obviously terrible and I bet you they will make sure the front desk people that worked the 3 nights I was there will be trained by the time the reader stays there. We'll see what the General Manager has to say about this when he replies to this review.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room away from the elevators, they are really noisy. Also, ask the hotel to a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2011

It's a little outdated but it's a great place to stay. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Thec hotel is very tiered and in need of an update. Beds are not very comfortable, heat and air very noisey.
Food in the bar was very good, salad was large and very fresh. The lady who served us was very Nice. Service at the restaurant was good as well, had a breakfast. There and it was good. (Didn't truths buffet).
Workpiece room is nice. Out door pool close for the winter but hot tub was open. Van driver was very nice. Renovation is needed..would recommend. Only if it is cheaper than other major chains in the area.

• Stayed: December 2011