“Traveler Unfriendly”

Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Ranked #57 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Can"t believe guests are denied a glass of wine in their room at this hotel. Some weird hotel liquor license issue. If your a teetotaler you will be right at home, For a weary NY mom who just traveled 12 hours with lost baggage, I am jumping ship. Heating system sounds like a truck idling in my room, vent is filled with dust, overall its a bit run down.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank adkong

Reviewed 4 February 2012

it's a 3 star hotel...so while managing my exceptions, everything was going well...clean room...new flat screen TV.....Than, I noticed the loud ice making machine next to my room, so I called and they moved me to another room/floor right away...they even brought me the keys to my new room....I wanted to take a shower and discovered that there is no soap in the room....hmmm....I called house keeping 2x...no one picked up .I called the front desk 2x and 30min later i got the soap....Once I settled in my room, I was setting up my laptop on the desk and when I sat down, I noticed the chair is just "dead"...all the filling in the chair is gone...glad I had plenty of extra pillows I could use to make this chair usable...For one night and for this price i cannot complain much.

Room Tip: don't pick anything ending with ...46-----they by the ice making machine
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank alonnyc
Reviewed 2 February 2012

As my first stay in a Red Lion hotel and my first visit to SLC, I was a bit skeptical about what sort of accommodations would be available. However, Red Lion far exceeded my expectations and made a great fan out of me.

There's a certain coziness to this particular Red Lion. Some standouts of the visit included the wonderful bed and the great shower head. They also had Tazo tea instead of Lipton or Bigelow's which warmed my heart. I loved how the fridge was actually located behind a shelf door so that it didn't look clunky amidst the room decor. There was a nice Samsung flat screen in our room. However, we were too busy enjoying the view outside our room, facing the amazing Wasatch mountains. The airport shuttle is extremely convenient and runs throughout the day, even between 12-5 in the morning. I love the B&BW amenities they used in their rooms! There is gift shop conveniently located in the hotel, which sells stamps, post cards, magnets, etc. [albeit at a higher price].

However, this is not a hotel without flaws. There is free-wifi available, but the surface is extremely spotty. Ironically, it performed better when kept away from the window/patio rather than towards it. The walls are QUITE thin. You can hear everything your neighbours are doing [and, I mean, everything]. The area is not the greatest/safest, but then again, I found all of downtown SLC somewhat run down. I felt comfortable walking around in the day, but not towards the night. The most ridiculous aspect is the $7.95 breakfast buffet that is available. The food that was present was part of the standard continental fare offered for free at most places. However, Red Lion charges for it. But due to the extremely inexpensive pricing of their rooms, I'd like to think they're actually giving people a good deal: if you don't want breakfast, your room rate just went down by $10.

I was also disappointed that they ran out of lotion on our visit. How do you run out of lotion? They didn't even have it in our rooms, let alone an extra bottle to take home.

All this being said, the best part of my visit to Red Lion were the front desk crew. They are some of the nicest hotel staff I have ever met. I especially wanted to recognise Naomi and Ryan (sp?) and how helpful they were in getting me gather toiletries since I forget my travel kit of amenities. I would definitely come back to this Red Lion again, if only for the amazing group of folks that staff this hotel. Despite the minor issues, they make it a homey, cozy place to be.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank willworkforhotelroom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed here on a recent trip to a Convention and it was one of the last hotels available so we were not sure what to expect. Started off awesome when they had a shuttle that came to get us from the airport. Not many hotels downtown do and that saves at least $20 each way. The staff was really friendly and the rooms were surprisingly nice. They have a breakfast buffet downstairs, which you have to pay for but it was worth it. It was about a mile from the Convention center, which was a little far when walking in the rain but it was a nice walk over. The diner in the hotel was okay, food was good, the help was not the best, friendly but non attentive. Bottom line: I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I was traveling solo for a short ski trip, but also wanted to enjoy restaurants and other activities in SLC. Red Lion was perfectly located for all of this, and very easy freeway access to get to the ski resorts. Free parking was another nice perk. They also have airport shuttles, so I was able to return my car on the last night and take a shuttle to the airport for my morning flight, thereby saving me a full day of rental. The staff is very nice/helpful. The room was average to above average, but the bed was excellent. The wifi was a little spotty, but at least it was free!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We were travelling with our dog were passing through SLC on a road trip. We needed an affordable convenient hotel to stay with our pet. Red Lion was perfect. It's close to I-80, has clean rooms and comfortable beds. The room has a microwave and mini refrigerator. We stayed at Red Lion twice. Once on our way over to once on our way back. My only gripe is that the room was too warm. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Abhi A
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I took the family snow skiing in Salt Lake for the first time and met my brother and his family here. I got a good deal on the hotel and was shocked at how nice it was for the price. A real good downtown location too. Free airport shuttle the first night about midnight. I took the shuttle to the airport the next morning to get a rental car. 10 minutes to the airport, 25 minutes to Alta. Seemed like everything was close by. Breakfast was a buffet where the kids eat free. Also a good deal. Flat screens and granite counters in the bathroom. Much nicer than I expected for the price.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family