“Decent Location, has seen better days”

Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
West Kelowna, Canada
“Decent Location, has seen better days”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed at this Red Lion after booking it on Hotwire. For $100 I can't be too terribly disappointed. The Pro's: Location is a nice breezy walk to downtown, Free Parking, Very helpful Staff, clean and Comfortable beds. Cons: Elevator sounds like it needed some serious maintanance. View, I was on the 12th Floor and had a view of not much. Windows, filthy, hadn't been washed in a looong time. I'd say anything over $85 you could do better. There's was nothing horrible about this hotel but nothing spectacular either. Just another older, highrise hotel.

Room Tip: One tower seems more renovated than the other. Ask for newer tower.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Swanland
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We only spent a night in this hotel and didn't really avail ourselves of the services. That said however, we found the room clean and comfortable and had a good nights sleep. We didn't experience any problems during our stay and found the staff we spoke to helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Newberg, Oregon
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stay in and around Salt Lake 6 times a year and wanted to try someplace different than the Hilton family of hotels that continue to raise rates. I found the Red Lion to fall above the Hampton but not as nice as the Garden Inn. I was on the 9th floor and the room was very peacful and had 2 very good nights sleep. Food options are close by and it is a nice walk to downtown shops and mall.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Love this hotel. I always enjoy my stay. Great location, comfortable beds, clean rooms, very accommodating staff for the most part. The only issue I had was that the young gentleman that checked me in did not recognize my membership and refused to allow me to pay cash at check in, which I have been able to do at every other Red Lion I've stayed at. Luckily a friend in my party had a credit card we could put down. What would you have done if I didn't have a credit card to put down? Cash is the most reliable form of payment...... I would like to mention though that Steve, Margie and Latiya (sp?) were very accommodating when we made our reservations.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

What a shame. The Red Lion is a decent hotel in a good location with pleasant helpful staff. The bed was comfortable and the room quite well equipped and then they spoil it with a lack of attention to detail!!!!
Our room had a ripped net curtain. The blind at the end of the corridor was visibly broken and the rubbing strip at the entrance to our room was only attached at the top and came away when caught quite gently. None of these things spoiled our nights sleep or the comfort of our stay but did highlight a worrying lack of attention to detail. Ideally the hotel needs a refurbishment but failing that a change of approach is needed from those responsible for maintenance. It wouldn't take much effort to put this place right.
Other reviewers have commented about a lack of eating options in the area. Actually there is an excellent one. The Bayou is only two blocks a way. We walked and felt safe. They have a stunning range of beers and serve good, well priced cajun food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 7 October 2013

In need of renovations.

Staff was great. Not necessarily a bad location but some sketchy folks in the parking area. Very awkward layout. If you have a few beers you might spend some time finding your room. Diner was good. Lobby Lounge feels like a hallway.

A three star. Not really worth over $50 bucks a night.

Decent.....

Room Tip: Shares a parking lot with Brewvies. Cool place
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank danrodgerson
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is my second visit here at this Red Lion. They exceeded my expectations again. I absolutely love this hotel. I travel with two husky puppies which is not always easy. Everytime I turn around someone is grabbing the door for me, or saying hello. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The room service is fantastic as well. I will continue to stay here when I come to visit my U of U student :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family