“Better Than It Looks from Outside”

Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
kentucky
“Better Than It Looks from Outside”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I got a great rate on HotWire and when I pulled into my free parking space right at the edge of downtown, I decided I'd look past the dated building and told myself, 'It's only one night.'. Once inside, I was relieved to find a nicely designed, modern looking lobby. At first, the front desk guy apologized and told me I would be staying on a floor that was being renovated and that there would be no carpeting in the hallways and the rooms were still the “old style.” I smiled and said, “Is this because I booked on Hotwire?” (I've heard stories where you end up with the worst room in the hotel when you book on discount sites). He assured me I was not being penalized for getting such a steal on the room – and after playing with the computer, he was able to find a room for disabled people that had been renovated. Inside, it reminded me of the NH Hotel in Brussels: sleek, stylish and comfortable.
The only weird thing is that when I called the front desk to ask for the free Wi-Fi code, the lady gave me a phone extension to call. When I did, I understood why she didn't take the time to just give me the code– It is the longest, most cumbersome login I've ever seen!
I was there for less than 12 hours so I can't rate anything else, except to say that the fitness center looked adequate but small.

I definitely would stay here again – in a renovated room!

Room Tip: If they try to give you a room on a floor being renovated, ask if they have any handicapped rooms le...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here overnight on transit. It was nice hotel with nice clean rooms in a central location in SLC. I used the courtesy shuttle to the airport which took under 10 min. Front desk was friendly to arrange that for me. I would stay here again next time in SLC

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel is in an ideal location for getting around downtown SLC and the hotel and rooms seem to be undergoing renovation and modernization.
If you get a higher floor you can see the city and mountains without obstruction which is a very nice perk. The hotel is only two blocks from the train and the central downtown shopping area. That made it easy to get around without having to rent a car. The room seemed to have recently been updated as it was in great shape and everything was in great working order. The beds are firm but not hard which made for a restful sleep. Very, very comfortable room!
The only problem I experienced was with the disorganized check in process. There seemed to be a huddled mass around the clerks and they were handling guests out of order which frustrated many of us. All in all not a big deal. Not sure how long the renovation will take; however you should work on signage for the tower elevators as the multiple button operation clearly confused a few guests.

Sao Jose Dos Campos, Brazil
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was put on a floor under renovation, what meant a very noisy floor during the day and a smell of construction work all along the corridor. Moreover, the aisle had part of its wall covering removed. Too bad for a hotel that had a great quality in the past. How can they do this with a customer?

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. I do apologize for the condition of the hotel as we are remodeling several areas. I truly apologize for the location of your room and that you were able to hear a lot of the construction noise. Thank you for being a valued guest and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at the Red Lion hotel for the first time this weekend. What an amazing hotel! I was treated with the upmost respect. The staff was very kind. They made me feel like I was the only one they cared about. Even the janitorial staff was very polite and funny! I can't say enough about this hotel. I will be staying their every time I go to SLC.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Tulsa
Reviewed 19 May 2014

general mgr need to check on that PIPE NOISE outside the room 735 it was very DISTURBING I was there 0514-0518 never got a PEACEFUL NIGHT SLEEP because of that NOISE I loved the internet svc in the business ofc & gift shop I loved the lady in there she was friendly and was very helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Steve H, Assistant General Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
We at the Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your recent visit. Our purpose is to provide our guests with the best experience possible, and we are committed to maintaining a high standard of service for your comfort and enjoyment. Your comments are an indication that we can do better—and we will! Please accept our deepest apology for any noise that prevented a restful night’s sleep. We are investigating this matter and ready to make the necessary corrections. Were delighted to hear that your enjoyed our business center and received the help you needed at the gift shop. We hope your visit to Salt Lake was one you will cherish. Thanks again for letting us know about your stay at the Red Lion, and have a wonderful day!
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I made a reservation for 4 adults with breakfast included in the price (149.00 + tax) and when we went to check in we reported that the reservation was for 2 adults without breakfast. after show proof of reservation, where he said 4 adults with breakfast included, the receptionist accepted the reservation, but still charged us 1 day breakfast.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Steve H, Assistant General Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Red Lion Salt Lake Downtown. I want to apologize for the mistake we made on your reservation, which led to the confusion at check in. We were completely at fault, and we’ve corrected your bill accordingly. We hope this oversight did not detract too much from your visit to Salt Lake City and your trip overall was a success. If you have any further questions or comments regarding your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon. Have a wonderful day, and thanks again for your valuable feedback!