“Nothing Special”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rexburg, Idaho
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here for a quick trip to downtown Salt Lake. We got a good deal on the room, and for the price, it wasn't bad. Every time we went past the front desk, there were people waiting to be helped and the employees always seemed rushed and busy. It kind of made you feel like you were intruding on their time. They did try to charge us for someone else's breakfast at the restaurant, but we got that figured out and they credited the money back to us.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 12 August 2014

the food and service at the restaurant was not good and housekeeping didn't even clean our rooms. I called the front desk and they said they would be by and they didn't. Also they gave us a ride to the baseball game and said they would come back and get us afterward too if we give them a little notice.
Well we gave them plenty of notice but then they said they couldn't come back to get us. Pretty lousy place to stay but the bar and the bartender were awesome though!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for providing this valuable feedback so that we can address these areas with our staff. There is no reason, nor is it acceptable, to have a poorly run restaurant. We apologize tremendously for the experiences you encountered with your room not being cleaned during your stay as well. I would like to assure you that this will be addressed accordingly with our staff. We hope you will provide us with the opportunity to rectify these issues so that we can have you back and provide you with the superior service deserved!
Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Salt Lake City
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Upon arrival, I noticed that the hotel did NOT live up to its star rating. It was old and had a strange odor. As soon as I got to my room, my asthma went crazy! After less than half an hour, I had to leave. At the front desk, I was told that since I had turned on the shower (to see if steam would help) that I would have to pay half price for the room to be cleaned again. Ridiculous! I will never stay here again or recommend it to anyone I know!

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you the best possible service. We are very displeased to see that there were some areas of concern regarding your room. I would like to apologize for the odor and that this required you to stay with another hotel. We do appreciate your feedback so that we are given the opportunity to address your concerns. We thank you very much and we hope to have the chance to serve you better in the near future.
Kind Regards
great falls
Reviewed 11 August 2014

close to some attractions, but scary area of town, the window leaked, 2 out of 3 elevators didnt work, and very rundown, only positive was the bed was very comfortable, would expect better from red lion

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sjjbl59405
RL_Customer_Care, Customer Care Department at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay with us as your feedback is important when providing our guests excellent service. I apologize that the hotel was less than you expected in comparison to other local hotels. I would like to truly apologize for several of the elevators not working during your stay as well. We value you as a guest and we are always looking for ways to enhance our guest experience. We will be speaking with our desk staff about your experience and do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you better during your next visit.
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Only there for one night, nice hotel but a bit out of the centre. Good rooms, coffee maker,swimming pool, wifi very clean well Kept we were taken into the city but there were busses or you could walk but quite away

Room Tip: Lovely city, on a tour so only there one night.
Richmond, BC,
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for two days during a conference in Salt Lake City. I arrived at the hotel around 6:30 in the evening and was provided with a 12th floor room in their tower. This was sounding pretty good until I opened the door to the room and discovered that it had not been cleaned after the previous guest’s departure.

This has happened before on my travels and I try not to let it bother me. After all, people make mistakes and really this is such a minor thing.

So, of course back down I go to the lobby, get another room assigned (yes, also on the 12th floor) and finally get settled into a clean room around 7 pm or so. The only glitch was that there was no caffeinated coffee in the room which was remedied by a quick call to the front desk.

The next day I awake, make coffee, go through my morning routine and then head out for my day.

Upon my return I discover that the creamer I spilled by the coffee machine in the morning had not been cleaned up. The coffee grounds had not been removed from the coffee maker nor had the coffee pot been washed out. Yes, you guessed it; the caffeinated coffee had also not been replenished. However, housekeeping had provided three packs yesterday so I was still good.

The bed was remade and the towels I used replenished but it was apparent that no real wiping down or cleaning of surfaces had occurred. This concerns me.

Is the lack of cleaning in this room related to the issue of the first room I was given being uncleaned? I don't know if there is a correlation but I do know I'm not happy knowing that minimal cleaning has occurred in the room I'm currently in.

The hotel restaurant is fine, the buffet breakfast fast and affordable, the desk staff very helpful.

It would be nice to have real glass glasses in the room instead of plastic and real glass cups for coffee or tea instead of Styrofoam as well. However, these issues are small and I feel can be overlooked based on the overall room cost.

The location is great for a convention. A longish six block or so walk to the Salt Palace but doable and quite enjoyable in good weather. It's conveniently located as far as driving is concerned and there is ample free parking.

So, overall the hotel offers good value. But in our present times with concerns of global health issues I feel more attention needs to be paid in regard to housekeeping at this location. If you stay here you may want to carry some Handy Wipes for some extra piece of mind.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the tower. You'll get great views of the city.
Green Features: I'm not sure that they have any environmentally friendly practices other than to not use cleaning supplies at all. This probably saves them a substantial amount of money overall, however, I'm not certain it is very healthy or sanitary.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had to take this trip with the dogs as we were moving to a new city. I understand that limits our choices in hotels, but take that as part of the deal. I had stayed at various Red Lions before and thought they were fine, so this had the location we needed as well as the parking we needed. Check in was fine, even though they were very busy. We got up to the room and which was small, but that's okay, it's just for the night. However, it didn't appeared that the floor had been vacuumed as my dogs promptly found (and ate) pistachios, pistachio shells and other various debris that was surrounding the chair and bed. The bathroom was okay, but also needed to have a thorough cleaning. It was a comfortable bed, and we liked being able to open the screen to the small deck. I wouldn't choose this place again unless I was traveling with dogs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family