“Nice room, terrible food”

Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Had an overnight layover in Salt Lake, so we chose the Hilton Garden Inn. Jim is a Diamond with Hilton Honors, so we were staying on HH points. We got directly to the hotel via shuttle. The check in was easy and quick, the fellow at the desk was great. We ordered room service and have always found the food at HGI very good. This time it was awful. We each ordered the cheeseburger. It was dry and tasteless. The fries were cold, even though the food was delivered very quickly. I left most of my food on the plate.

In the morning the breakfast was good as usual. The waitress was excellent as well.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Wes M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thanks for your review! I am disapointed top hear about the food issue. I hope that you brought this to our attention at the time, as we would want to take care of any issue right away. I will talk with my AGM on this and we will resolve.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I travel to Salt Lake City quite often for business and I've stayed at quite a few places before this particular Hilton Garden Inn was opened. None even come close. This property is the perfect blend of great value, perfect location and awesome staff & service! I stay here 30 nights a year now.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Jon, Thank you for your great review! It is truly a pleasure to have you stay with us and I want you to know that it is people like you that make my job enjoyable. Your friend, Wes McIlrath

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I chose this hotel primarily for location and price, thinking it would be just a cheap hotel. But when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised at the layout of the lobby and the quality of our room for the price. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

That is the kind of surprise that I like! Thanks for your great review.-Wes McIlrath

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My first time out to Salt Lake City Utah I stayed at this hotel since it is very convenient if you have a early flight the next day. Staff is polite and extremely helpful with directions and attractions.

Hotel is very well kept and clean,offers a lobby bar and a nice cozy fireplace to sit back and relax.

Plenty of parking.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Thanks for your review, we will work on that 5th star.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was in town on business and chose to stay near the airport mostly because of the lower rates available; this property lived up to my expectations of the HGI brand, and I especially appreciated the number of electrical outlets in the room.

The staff were really friendly, the property was quiet despite being fairly close to the airport, and my only challenge was the lack of dining options nearby (although the breakfasts and dinners I enjoyed in the hotel's restaurant were great).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RipplesGuy

Awesome review! Thank you so much for your kind words.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I had actually made reservations at a hotel nearby but the service we received was so bad we walked out and drove to the Hilton Garden Inn-- so glad we did! We felt welcomed immediately, had incredible service, our room was beautiful and clean with a comfortable bed!! The best night of sleep we had in our 5 night vacation! We went out for dinner and came back and enjoyed drinks and dessert in the dining area and had a fabulous time! While we didn't dine in, their food looked delicious. Couldn't have been happier with our experience and if we ever stay in SLC again, we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the great review! I look forward to your next visit. Wes McIlrath

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed here for a 3-day/night business trip in 2013. I picked this hotel based on the positive reviews and pretty good prices - and I was not disappointed. The location is easy to get to whether it's from the airport or driving in (although Salt Lake City overall is an easy city to navigate), and the value is really quite high - I'd stay again whether on business or pleasure.

Pros:
- Great location, as mentioned.
- Rooms as advertised, amenities all available and in nice order - indoor pool, business room, restaurant/bar, workout room and more.
- It seems to be more and more the standard, but the room had a refrigerator and microwave, making it easy to have a bit of food around for in-between meals or in lieu of leaving the room.
- Modern decor - not critical, but a nice touch, everything seemed fairly new, no worn spots on furniture or carpeting.
- Cordless phones - not common in a hotel room. Not necessary, but a nice touch.
- Shower was large, with a modern sliding glass door.
- Outlets built into the lamp bases - such a wonderful thing to find those for recharging phones at the bedside.
- Free WiFi - seems like this ought to be standard, but sadly isn't in many hotels.
- Room service was excellent, food prepared by the restaurant on the first floor.

Cons:
- While the shower was large, the temperatures were somewhat variable, particularly in the PM hours. It was difficult to keep a set temperature without continualy fiddling with the controls.
- The WiFi was free - but slow. This is likely due to the quantity of guests, but nevertheless, it was slow.

There's really not much to dislike about the Hilton Garden Inn - SLC Airport. Lots of parking (for the monster truck Hertz thought I needed), not much airport noise, great amenities and food. I'd definitely recommend this hotel when in SLC, I'd go back again!

Thanks for reading - if you have any questions at all, feel free to reach out!

Jon

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Wes M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Jon,
Thanks for your review! I will work on those cons and we will strive for that fifth star next time.