“Great for breakfast!”

Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We've had breakfast here several times now. The food is flavorable and filling. My favorite, so far, is the a la carte, make-your-own omelet with ham, cheese, tomatoes, covered in hollandaise sauce. My husband loves the thick-slab bacon in the benedict omelet. If you want a little more, the regular plate with toast and oven fries will fill you up. The oven fries are quite good. I had the pancakes once and they were also good. It's usually busy, but we've never waited more than a few minutes to be seated. We've been there most often on a weekday morning between 9 and 10 a.m. The interior is pretty old and could use an update, but it doesn't detract from the food.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stopped here while in SLC for a few hours because of Triple D. We were not very hungry and the attentive waiter figured out that we were wanting to share a meal, but had dissimilar tastes. He came out with two plates with the food separated exactly to each of our liking. We shared the Reuben and it was amazing. They cure their own corned beef there. The spicy fries were terrific and my husbands were served without any seasoning to his liking. Very special treatment for no extra price!

1  Thank 800BarbaraH
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We've been to the Blue Plate a few times. Usually try to go on a weekday since on weekends the crowd can be a bit prohibitive. Great funky atmosphere, very unique for Salt Lake City. Today we each had an omelet, and they were fantastic…light, fluffy, and just packed with fillings (I had the bacon and sausage, and both were loaded with great flavor). My wife had a pancake as a side, and it was very tasty as well. In the past I've been here for lunch and had a club sandwich, which was superb. Given that it's a diner, they might consider upgrading the coffee. Really like this joint.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My friend & I ate here on our way back to the airport. We both had the buffalo burger & waffle fries. The burger was very flavorful & moist. Fries were excellent with the spices on them (my friend gor her fries plain & they were also good,). Service was excellent & fast.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

It was on Triple D, so I tried it. Twice. Just couldn't get myself to be a fan though.

We shared probably the four most popular breakfast dishes amongst us.

Biscuits and Gravy--not impressed and would not order again. Didn't care for the biscuits at all. Small and seemed like a quick bisquick bake. Gravy was ok but nothing memorable.

Corned beef hash - the corned beef was ok--just ok--for the first few bites and then I didn't want any more.

Spinach Mushroom Avocado (SMA) Benedict - a LOT of spinach. It could be renamed the egg/mushroom/avocado-topped spinach. It was ok but I wouldn't try it again.

Chicken fried steak - gravy was bland, no kick to it. CFS was kind of flavorless too. Granted not many places even do CFS and very few of them do it that well. But would not want to order this again.

Home fries were good. But after a few bites you are done.

I wanted to share other's enthusiasm but I just can't. Seemed even more like a hippie place this last time. Some of the waitresses are hot, but covered in tattoos and piercings, so if you're not into that then it's just weird and off putting to someone as conservative, bland and boring as me. Doesn't give you the feel of clean, wholesome, hygienic. I'm sure they are perfectly hygienic...but the place definitely has a certain vibe that isn't for everyone.