“It's ok, if you are driving”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
London
“It's ok, if you are driving”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I had to spend a week in SLC because of a conference and opted for this hotel, mainly because of the good reviews and the fact that they did offer smoking rooms. I might be used to different type of hotels, but don't quite understand all the glowing reviews.
The positives:
- it is good value for money
- the hotel is fairly new and the rooms are still in good knick and spacious
- free internet. As mentioned by other reviewers, not the fastest connection but it worked.
- it's clean
The negatives:
- it is pretty much next to a very large homeless shelter, with constant stream of such visitors. I had no transportation and found it really uncomfortable to walk around the area. I am sure most are armless, but I didn't feel safe. Not an issue if you are driving.
- as mentioned by other reviewers, walls are incredibly thin. I could hear the guy in the next room sneeze. If you are unlucky and get a noisy neighbour, that wouldn't be good.
- they do offer free breakfast which is adequate, considering you are not paying for it, but there is no option to "upgrade" (like buying a decent cup of coffee) if you wanted to. The free dinner is useless if you are vegetarian or at all concerned about healthy eating. Again, it's free, so can't complain, but worth noting if you are relying on it.
- the housekeeping and kitchen staff are really friendly. Reception is very much hit and miss, depending on who's on shift.
I think the hotel is ok, as long as you get a decent room rate. Because of its location and the fact I don't drive, I would personally not stay here again and opt for one of the more central properties, which are not so isolated and are closer to shops, restaurant, bars and the convention centre. For families or anyone on a budget, with own transportation, it's probably a good choice. For business travellers "on foot" attending an event at the SLC Palace, probably not, as taxis can be hard to get, especially during busy conventions, and you can get comparable accommodation in a better location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Mele M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience- without your feedback, we cannot improve. We have shared your review during out Team Huddles and Staff meetings so that we know what our guests are saying and for our guests to know we are listening.
There are several points that we are working towards improving in every way we can,and we will strive to ensure our guests have a great stay here with us! Thank you again-

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We needed someplace for our family of five in SLC...this fit the bill perfectly!! We booked a 2 room suite...one room had a king size bed, the other room had 2 queen beds. 2 bathrooms for the suite and a kitchen. Also a nice little sitting room in between. The bed was AWESOME!!!! We had stayed in a different hotel in San Francisco that was horrible and the beds there were horrible so it was wonderful to sleep in such a comfortable bed with comfortable pillows...We didnt want to get up in the morning but had to keep going to get home. The price was Extremely affordable considering what we got in the room. The parking lot was underground but plenty of parking and the spaces were easy to get our van in and out of. We will definitely stay here again if we are ever in SLC again and I will look for Homewood Suites in other states that I visit!!!!!! Also they did offer a breakfast but we were meeting family at a restaurant so we did not utilize their breakfast. It smelled great though!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
We LOVED having you as our guest! Thank you for the fantastic review! We know taking the itme to share a great experience takes time out of your busy day! Please come back soon!
southern california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I read the reviews prior to staying here and my experience matched the reviews. The place is new and well-maintained. I had a large studio king suite which I got to choose from a floorplan the day before my arrival. I chose one on a high floor away from the main street. There is underground parking that was very convenient. The breakfast has many options I was quite happy with it. My room was clean and well maintained. My one issue with the room is that it was a bit warm and it was difficult to keep cool. There was a ceiling fan over the bed however it had only two speeds : high and off. On high it made a whirring noise and on off it produced no wind.
Otherwise this is a very nice place I would recommend it to other visitors to Salt Lake.

Room Tip: choose the room online ahead of time
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
HomeSuiteHome423, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your review with us! I am so glad to hear that you were not dissappointed by the previous reviews on Trip Advisor and that your own personal review confirmed them tops it off for us! It gives me great pride to know we provided a great stay for you, and hope you return soon- I have shared your feedback with our team so we can work on improving room temperature and fan speeds. If there is a way we can improve, we ensure to take action so that your future stays and our future guests stays will be seamless....
Thank you again for your feedback!
dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel three times for business trips and have yet to be disappointed. It's in a great location so when the weather is nice can easily walk to shopping/restaurants/bars. They also serve a nice dinner Mon-Thur that's included as part of your stay. I've never made it there in time before to try it out but this last stay it worked out well. The weather had gotten nasty so it was so nice to just walk downstairs, make a plate and go enjoy it in my room. Was pleasantly surprised by the choices...nice salad bar with mixed greens and several choices of toppings, then had steak stir fry with rice and veggies...even had cookies for dessert. The room is always clean, big and very comfortable bed. Had never had much of a view but this stay woke up to a spectacular view of the snow capped mountains. The service is always good too with friendly staff. On my last trip, I had forgotten my phone charger, the guy working at the check in counter checked for extras that people leave behind but none matched my phone. He had the same phone as mine and ended up offering to let me use his charger. So nice! Love it here and will always request to stay here on future trips!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Mele M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Media girl-
We love having you as our guest!!! You come, you experience, AND you share!! Thank you for taking time out to write such a detailed positive review! Our staff strives to do our very best, and when we read reviews such as this one, really helps us put a pep in our step and reminds us why we are in this industry.
We definitely hope to have you as our guest again soon!
Pocatello, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We had a very wonderful clean suite/studio. We stayed several days for we had someone in the hospital here. We were able to have our breakfast and a small dinner at night right at our hotel. This made it very convenient after spending several hours in the hospital. One extremely nice, kind, and very good worker in the breakfast area name Rosie. She was helpful to all customers and kept this area clean. clean, clean. She was friendly and a very cute young lady. I will definitely stay again, and hopefully have the same experience w/another worker or Rosie again.

Room Tip: Third floor room. There is a roof that you can walk on that goes clear around the building on the 3r...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time out to give us such a fantastic review! We know it takes time to share experiences, so thank you. We are so happy Rosie exceeded your expectations and really appreciate your recognizing her. She is a ray of sunhine to our guests and when you take the time to tell us, really makes our day. We hope that all is well with your loved one that was in the hospital and on behalf of the entire team, we'd love to have you back soon!
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel is well situated downtown one block from the Gateway shopping mall and a few blocks from the Salt Palace Conference Center. The room I had was not a suite (with a separate bedroom) like all the Homewood Suites I stayed, but still spacious. The bed is comfortable but the rooms are badly insulated. One can hear steps above, doors banging, people talking. I had a room facing the swimming pool and there was always a humming sound that made it difficult falling asleep. The breakfast is passable (no waffles) and they serve dinner on weekdays, although don't expect high cuisine. There are two restaurants in the same building. Free hardwired and wifi internet, which is nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing south, it may be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank M2C7
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

The rooms are very nice as you would expect from a Homewood Suites. The location is close to the Salt Palace and basketball arena. The price was under $100 for a Friday night. Our rooms were quiet. So why only three stars?

The staff seems untrained and the hotel maintenance seems to be very lax. There were 10 people in the lobby on Friday evening and only one person at the front desk. Finally someone else showed up and we were checked in within 15 minutes. Although they told us where the shared underground parking was, they did not tell us there are two levels. The first level hard cars everywhere and the second level was unmarked. After ten minutes of driving around we finally found it.

Per the staff, the business center "was not working". They offered to print boarding passes and were very polite. However, either the computer or printer or user were not working well. It took another 15 minutes to print the boarding passes.

There is a hot water problem in spite of what the staff says. Even at 5am the water was cool, then warm/hot, then lukewarm within a ten minute shower. The same experience on two different floors.

Although we were never bothered, there are a few homeless around, even at 6am on a 24 degree morning.

I would probably stay there for a quick business trip again, but I expect a pretty good price for the lack of investment in operations.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family