Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown
Ranked #35 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I am a Hilton Diamond member and was treated like a second class citizen . The room was 90 degrees when I checked in and there was no ice in the room. The hotel sits next to a public park full of homeless and drug dealers. The elevator smelled like urine. The kid behind the desk should be fired.
Don't stay here, wish I hadn't and never will again!

3  Thank bovitt01

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Excited to stay here as we needed a larger room downtown. What we did not know is that the largest homeless shelter in Utah is one block away. There were literally hundreds of persons experiencing homelessness roaming around (panhandling, shouting, pushing shopping carts, obviously intoxicated, etc) and we were advised by front desk staff not to walk down the street behind the hotel. I was traveling alone with two of my children, hoping to do lots of walking and sightseeing, so this made me very uncomfortable.
As far as the hotel itself, the lobby is lovely and parking was convenient. However, when we arrived in our room, we found the carpet soaking wet in the bedroom. Not like it had been shampooed... like a water leak. It was a puddle. So, we returned to the front desk and were told there were no other rooms of the larger size we booked (2 queens + sleeper sofa) and they could accommodate us in a smaller room. Fine. We entered the smaller room, and it was literally vibrating...floor, walls, etc. I called the desk again, and was told the room was next to the building's utility system. Ummmm, no, not going to work! So, we change rooms a 3rd time. Finally, we got a dry, quiet room, but it was much smaller than the room I booked with a rooftop view rather than the city view we first enjoyed. No compensation was offered for any of the hassle. I'm willing to concede our room situation was bad luck, but based on the location and lack of compensation, I would not recommend.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Downtown Salt Lake City is teeming with homeless people. There's a very nice park a block from this hotel, which the homeless use during the day when the shelter kicks them out. I've never been approached so many times during my walk downtown and back. Also, don't plan to arrive before 3:00 check-in. The front desk staff won't accommodate you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
1  Thank Eva R
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed six nights in the Homewood Suites for work and found the rooms clean, comfortable, and well appointed. My room had a great view of the SLC skyline. However, I do caution visitors about the neighborhood. The hotel is across the street from a lovely park, but the park is a hangout for the city's large homeless population. The hotel is down the street from a homeless shelter-- I appreciate that there is somewhere in SLC that will help those that need it, but I can see why some people would be uncomfortable staying in the area. One night for dinner I wanted to walk to a restaurant a mere block and a half away, but was warned by hotel staff that it would be dangerous to walk alone in the neighborhood at night, even such a short distance (and no later than 8-9pm). The hotel's parking building does seem a little unsafe-- a hotel key card isn't required to get in, so anyone can go inside. The hotel also doesn't require a key card to get into the elevator that takes you from the parking garage to the hotel itself. Once again, anyone can ride the elevator up to your floor. I don't want to sound too negative-- staying downtown in most any city has both benefits and reason for caution. I had a wonderful stay and had zero negative incidents during my week there. The hotel is only a few minutes drive to anywhere you'd want to visit within the city, and is probably the best extended stay hotel I've visited. I recommend checking out neighborhood spots Palette for dinner (delicious food served in a small restaurant decked out with salvaged wood tables, exposed Edison bulbs, and mid-century modern chairs) and The Rose Est. for coffee (locally roasted beans, coffee made via pour over or french press).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the top two floors, preferably one facing the same side as the Capitol buil...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank A H
HomeSuiteHome423, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for sharing such an informative review. We enjoyed having you here and grateful for the time you took to post. We hope you come back to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Arrived late and left early the next morning, our quick in and out for a good night's rest turned into a nightmare. I feared for my children as screams and cries awake us @2am, police and rescue arrive wheeling out a man just a few doors down. It was terribly noisy, frightening and sketchy to say the least. The next morning at breakfast there was no place to sit and eat because half the dining area was taped off?? Precede to leave, load up our car only to find it broken into, window busted out, posesssions stolen. There were no security cams or night guards at the parking entry or even hotel key to use the elevator. Anyone could access it which is scary! Only good thing to recommend this hotel, the staff helped clean glass out of our car and tape the window so we could be on our way. Police wouldn't even come:( do not stay here!

• Stayed: May 2014

I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience. We would appreciate an opportunity to try and take such a sour taste away from your stay. Please contact any one of our hotel management for further assistance.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

It was great to walk in the door after 5 months and have people recognize me, makes you feel very welcomed. All hotels should have someone like Amanda at it, she made me feel at home. The Food and the rooms were great, as well as the location.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd floor for the pool, hot tub and grille!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review! We love having you back. We always want to strive to keep you our loyal guests happy and well fed. Thank you for continuing to come home to us.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our family celebrated our Uncles 80th birthday party their at the hotel and we were treated royally! We had a great time with the staff, using the facilities and the convenient downtown location for entertainment and other restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

We love your review! What a memorable way to celebrate. Thank you for trusting us with such a special occassion. Hope to see you again soon!