“Wouldn't stay here again”

SpringHill Suites Salt Lake City Downtown
Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Nampa, Idaho
“Wouldn't stay here again”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We always stay in a Marriott, but this is our first time at a SpringHill. I would rather pay a little more and stay at a Courtyard or Residence Inn. We stayed 3 nights at this hotel with 3 children (11, 8 and 5)

LOCATION: It's on the outskirts of the Downtown area and from a room in the front, we had a lot of industrial buildings that were full of graffiti as our view. The view from the back of the hotel looked a little bit nicer. Easy freeway access and a Starbucks right around the corner is a plus.

SERVICE: The service from the front desk was good on arrival. ** I did request extra towels on my reservation and those were not in the room. ** I brought a throw from home left it on the bed the morning and found it thrown on the floor after the room was made up. I thought that was terrible! ** Also, there was a dirty towel left on the floor. ** We couldn't find a station guide for the TV and called the front desk. He said he was happy to make a copy for us and that "we could come grab it". At other Marriotts, I am used to having anything we need offered to be brought to us. ** I called ahead to be sure the room was cool since the temps were very high, I was told that someone would be sent up to check. Upon arrival, the AC was on, but I believe it needed serviced, the temperature of the room was comfortable but on the warm side the whole time. **Breakfast service was terrible, more on that below.

CLEANINESS: Besides my throw being thrown on the floor and the dirty towel being left, I give the cleanliness an A+ :)

BREAKFAST: My husband kept saying "the cereal was good" LOL. The breakfast buffet area is VERY small, it was impossible not to run into someone while trying to get your food. And the more seating area is needed. On the second day, we had to use a coffee table and sit on the couches (not so easy with a 5 year old trying to eat cereal!) I sat on the floor. There was a table open, but it needed cleaned. Syrup was spilled all over it. The make your own waffles were tasty, but be sure to throw the cup you use for the batter away or the lady doing breakfast service will yell at you! (and the cup wasn't even mine) When I asked her very kindly for a spoon, she was sure to tell me very rudely that everyone waits until breakfast is over in 20 minutes and that we just need to be patient! Excuse me!? The muffins were good and one the first day, I had a decent banana but I didn't see any after day one. The eggs and sausage are terrible.On the 3rd day, half of my family enjoyed our leftovers from The Red Iguana (which is AMAZING!) rather than suffer through another breakfast downstairs! To sum it up, you can find enough on the buffet for a decent breakfast and it's better than spending $50+ at a restaurant but they really need more than one (rude) person taking care of breakfast on weekends!

OTHER: There is only one elevator and as another reviewer said, it's VERY slow. ** We did like the layout of the room, it worked out well with a family of 5. One of the children slept on the sofa sleeper, two on one double bed and my husband and I on the other. ** The beds were super comfortable** **We could hear traffic outside and doors near ours being closed and that was with a fan we brought being used on high** The swimming pool is clean and towels are available, but it's a very small pool. The hot tub was great and the courtyard area were great.

This place isn't a dive, but definitely on the lower end of Marriotts.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ohio
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stay here if you need a downtown location in SLC. Hotel seemed noisy being in a residential area behind the hotel and barking dogs. I guess I expected more from a SpringHill Suites. Much more prefered the SpringHill Suites in Cedar City over this one and prefered SpringHill Suites in others cities I have stayed.

Room Tip: A high room towards the front of the hotel to prevent noise from the rear of the hotel will provide...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Wanting to be closer to family, we booked this room through an online website. Because of the staff's incompetency, it was the worst experience I've had in hotels in over 30 years. They messed up the billing from the get go, and tried to pass it off as my problem or the problem of the website I booked through. I had expected to spend time with my family in my suite, but instead, was forced to stand in the lobby for over an hour for no fault of my own. It was ridiculous.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank the_captain_85
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Great place to stay close to downtown. Very comfortable beds in the Room. My rating is probably more like a 3.5, there are just a few areas that need improvement. The breakfast was not very good, the eggs were powdered and not very tasty, though they did have good seasoning to put on them. The poos was probably the smallest I have ever seen in hotel, but overall the say was nice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
United States
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Seems like they are going after the Hyatt Place kind of crowd, but fall short. You can see the corners they cut, but still a good hotel.Do not understand how they got a "4" ranking. They are a "3" at best. Maybe that is why I scored them as a "Good", as I may have been expecting more.

Staff was very good.

Rube

Room Tip: Expect Noise
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
The Ocean State
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I love Marriott properties because there aren't usually any surprises - you know what you're going to get. We spent 5 nights at the Springhill Suites (downtown) in Salt Lake City last month and really enjoyed our stay. Our room was spacious, with a separate seating area, mini fridge and microwave. This was helpful as we needed to be at the Salt Palace Convention Center at 7 am some mornings, and we could eat in our room if the resatuarant wasn't open (6:30 am during the week, 7 am on the weekend.) The bed was very comfortable and our room (in the back of the property, 4th floor) was quiet. I had called the hotel prior to our arrival to request the quietest room available, as I don't tend to sleep well when traveling. I slep well in this hotel. Breakfast in the morning was good - not spectacular - and on two of the days the breakfast person was either late or didn't come in which meant no or delayed hot food/OJ/etc when we were there. The hotel was very clean, had a laundry room (coin operated) with 2 washers and dryers. We really enjoyed the breakfast area as a gathering spot at other times of the day and evening. The airport shuttle is a plus and all of the drivers were very nice and professional. The fitness room is nice, with two treadmills and an elliptical machine.

There's a Starbucks around the corner, along with a nail salon (I got a great manicure ). Enterprise Rent A Car was a block away and I rented a car at the last minute. Free parking at this hotel. I will definitely stay here again if we return to Salt Lake City.

Room Tip: My room on the 4th floor facing the back of the hotel was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed 28 February 2012

All suites in a comfortable new room layout vs the standard hotel room. This hotel is very new and I am writing this as I enjoy the sparking hot tub with a cold beer purchased at the state run liquor store 4 blocks away. I have been giving Marriotts a try again after some bad Holiday Inns and Hamptons and I think I may have a new favorite when in SLC. Comfortable beds, quick interweb speeds and a flat screen TV that you can see from the desk, couch, or bed. Loving it and plan to stay here again and again!

Room Tip: Get a King on the east side for low noise from the streets.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business