“Enjoyed the stay”

Salt Lake Plaza Hotel
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 4 May 2012

The location and value here could not be beat. (The Family History Library right next door was the purpose of this trip.) While the rooms need updating, they were clean and the beds super comfortable. The additional sink outside the bathroom was definitely helpful (especially in the busy mornings) as was the microwave and fridge. The hotel staff was great - thank you for the Blue Lemon recommendation - awesome restaurant!

Looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank pacnw4043

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Had a wonderful family trip here, the service was great, the pricing was too. But the rooms need updating... the wall paper is dated, the air conditioner/heater is very loud and we had to adjust it manually (there was a heat sensor, but no degrees on it) and it would have been nice to have a normal wall thermostat that turned on a heater that wasn't loud enough to keep you awake all night. Also the workout room was very small, 4 cardio machines in a very small room with a low ceiling in the basement, it felt very claustrophobic. If this hotel gets some renovations, it would be a much better place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank alisonsfo
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Went to Salt Lake City to do some family history research, this hotel was right next door to the Family History Library. The hotel picked us up from the airport. The staff was always pleasant and very helpful. They gave great advice on restaurants in walking distance. The took us to the grocery store because the rooms have microwaves and refrigerators. The rooms were a little dated but very clean. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank MLJ_03936
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Just returned from a wonderful visit to Salt Lake City for my first family history research. My friend and I found an online offer for a 4 night stay for the price of 3 nights for family researchers. The price was wonderful!!! The room was nice but dated. The beds were very comfortable. There was a small fridge and microwave. The front desk staff were warm and very helpful. We found it seemed the longer we were in the room, however, the maid service forgot things..The last night we had no coffee cups left for our morning coffee. Some cups were left with beverages in them after we came back at the end of our day. Our ice bucket that we filled each eve was emptied each day. The last day there were no liners left for us to refill. My friend left a nice tip each day for the maid service. I thought we would get some extra TLC but that didn't seem to make a difference. The room had heat/cool air available but it would have been great to have the availability to just have a fan mode to just move the air in the room without heating the room or cooling the room. Shuttle service is available for airport service. That was very handy. A light rail is right outside of the hotel and will have service to the airport in the future. We were told by our shuttle driver that the hotel is due to be overhauled in the near future from the lobby to the rooms. It was great to hear that the hotel recognizes the upgrades that need to be made.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room overlooking the light rail. Even though the room was right outside the rail it...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank CLANSWAN
Reviewed 29 March 2012

While this place might not look like a lot from the outside, and while you might be nervous because it's been around awhile...I was pleasantly surprised with what I found and we will be back. Rooms were a little dated, but clean. Bed linens can be completely washed - duvets instead of bedspreads give you a fresh, clean feeling when you're ready to crash. Our room was upgraded at no additional charge, and the customer service was very pleasant and prompt. The best thing about this hotel is the proximity to everything you'd want to visit - walking distance to EVERYTHING that downtown SLC has to offer. A hidden gem!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Janice B
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We were in Salt Lake for a conference that was being held at the Hilton. The Hilton was going to charge us $100 more and not include breakfast, a shuttle, or wifi, so we looked at other options and found the Plaza. So happy we did!!

We had a 2 Queen Bed room for $139/night that included breakfast vouchers for both of us for every night we stayed. The vouchers were good for the breakfast buffet + a beverage in the restaurant downstairs (tip extra). It was not the healthiest food, but convenient and a good selection. The staff across the board - restaurant, shuttle, desk - was super nice.

The room was also huge, with both a desk and a table, which was really great for two business travelers sharing a room who both needed space for their laptops!

There was a hot tub we never got around to using and a pool that was closed for the winter, so, I can't comment on those. Shuttle service saved us some money and picked us up and dropped us off right when we wanted.

There is a bit of noise from the light rail if you stay on that side of the building, but, I live in a city, so I'm use to ambient city noise. Actually, I'm really annoyed that we had an awesome deck but the door was bolted shut! I would have loved to open my door to get fresh air! That's my only major complaint!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The only thing to love about this hotel is the location. I was there for a convention so perfect from that. Also, right across from Temple Square. $129.00 for my room. Very similar class of hotel to a Holiday Inn Express, but a little more run down (try sitting on the lobby furniture) and no free breakfast. Problems with my heater - it seemed to be all or nothing so I either froze or was too hot. My colleague's room had a better model though, so ask for another room if you are there in freezing weather and have the old style heater.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business