“Stayed again”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Madison, Wisconsin
“Stayed again”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Stayed at the hotel while doing genealogy next door in the library. Can't say how many times I've stayed there but it is many! I am always happy with the hotel and the location. I had booked a king double but got a single queen room. Wasn't a problem for me but desk said computer said it was a king double room. I booked an updated room and was pleased with the new décor. Only problem I noticed was the mirror door for the closet had a very sharp metal corner on the bottom. When I opened the mirror door, it scrapped my foot - could have been more blood if I didn't move fast. I did report it to the front desk manager when I checked out. But potentially dangerous if you don't stand back far enough while you open the door. Otherwise I was happy with my stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear Enjoy2travel,

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the new rooms! Thank you for bringing the closet door to our attention as we will be able to make sure we take care of that for the future. I'm glad you were able to come and enjoy your time while researching your genealogy next door. We will see you next time!

801-521-0130 x 2149

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Polish first
Hyrum, UT
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We went to stay for a weekend to enjoy Christmas lights and family time around Temple Square. It's central, walking distance from everywhere you need, rooms are spotless and very nice decoration, with a scenic view and great service, besides safe parking and quiet privacy.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear happyfamilyUT,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! As you've experienced, our central location makes it easy to experience downtown Salt Lake City life, so I'm glad that was a plus for you! We hope to see you next time you're in town.

King Regards,
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Everything was clean. Service was great. Will be the normal place we stay when in town. Don't worry about reserving w/ a third party place, as they will price match for you if you call the hotel them selves. Only things:
Parking garage has a 6ft 8 in clearance but changes to 6ft 2in clearance when going to second level. we had no problem finding a place to park on the first level. I think they also have a spot for vehicles that won't fit, so just ask.
Balcony "lock" is an allen head bolt through the doors. They will take out for you, but what guy doesn't carry an allen set with them? I do. hahaha
Also just a couple block walk to the Temple Square and the City Mall. Great place to walk around and the Mall Food court has plenty of good food to eat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Plaza Hotel P, Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear IDAHOJeff,

Thank you for your comments. I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back the next time you're in town!

Front Desk Manager
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We were on the family vacation 2013 and chose to stay at the Plaza Hotel while spending the night passing through Salt Lake City. We arrived late in the afternoon and got to our room and were satisfied with our choice. I loved the cool wallpaper as well as the carpet. We had a great view of the Mountains and were right across the street from some Morman Church thing in the square. We were also about one half block away from a pretty nice downtown mall. The guest shuttle guy was really nice and dropped us at a place to eat that we'd seen on Diner's Drive In's & Dives called 'The Red Iguana'. All and all a nice hotel and we'd do it again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wcedgar
Plaza Hotel P, Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear wcedgar,

Thank you for you comments. I'm happy to hear you liked our new rooms! We're pretty excited about them, so it's good to hear feedback! The Red Iguana was a great choice! Next time you're in town we'd love to have you back!

King Regards,
Sales & Marketing Manager
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Good hotel, handy to Temple Square. Although parking area is small, we never had any problems getting a space. The parking lot has a doorway that enters directly into hotel, so we never had too far to walk. The rooms were clean, comfortable and fair sized, and the hotel was convenient to the sights that we wanted to see (Temple Square, the State Capitol).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reeni B
Plaza Hotel P, Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Reeni B,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location and hotel! We appreciate your kind words and hope to see you next time you venture to Salt Lake!

Sales & Marketing Manager
Durham
Reviewed 9 July 2013

A conveniently situated hotel in the centre of the city. Well maintained and the staff were very helpful and courteous, the drivers especially helped us a lot. I'd stay there again. There were no problems to speak of.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DurhamVictoria1000
Plaza Hotel P, Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear DurhamVictoria1000,

Thank you for your comments. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a good experience with our staff. We make it our number one priority to make sure each guest leaves with a smile on their face! We'll see you next time you're in town!

Sales and Marketing Manager
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

What a sad, pathetic excuse of a 3 star hotel in the heart of the city. This place is really dull, drab, and has no atmosphere and ambience to speak of.

The lobby area seemed cold and uninviting. The service left a lot to be desired. The frontdesk employees didn't seem to want to be bothered with any questions.

The front and back doors were left unlocked at night. Despite having a security guard on site, anybody from the outside could gain access to the building with no problem.

My room--a deluxe king suite in room #1309-- was situated on a high floor facing south for a spectacular city view, and to see 4th of July fireworks going off in the Salt Lake Valley. The decor hasn't changed much since the 80s.

That said, the place is literally falling apart. One of the closet doors in the hallway came off the railings. The bathroom door had scuff marks all over it. The walls had visible signs of water damage, with mold on the tiles and grout in the one corner.

The room amenities were basic--a mini fridgerator, microwave, coffee maker. That's it. No bathrobes. No premium cable channels or on-demand content. How lame is that?

The hot tub enclosure and pool area of the hotel is a disgrace, looks really sleazy, and is poorly maintained. I saw a lot of rust spots and tiles coming apart.

The JB's restaurant nearby was forgettable. It was so mediocre. The food looked better than it tasted. Just plain awful. Do not go there!

Why this hotel doesn't have a bar area is beyond me. What is this, Iran? I thought we were in America. Seriously. You could find better elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Dear Tagman77,

Thank you for your comments. First of all I want to truly apologize for the experience you had while staying at our property. Let me promise you that this is not the norm. I do appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention because we were able to jump on the opportunity to retrain our staff and make sure they they are providing each guest with the superior customer service we are always striving for here at the Plaza. We are currently in the middle of remodeling the hotel, and unfortunately your room is one that had not been remodeled yet. But we are excited about the new product we are developing for our guests, and I hope that the next time you're in town we can try and make it up to you.