“pastries, and breakfast, and more - oh, my!”
Review of Les Madeleines

Les Madeleines
Ranked #4 of 27 Bakeries in Salt Lake City
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 7 February 2014

stopped here a week ago as we arrived for Park City ski week - headed back today since we're in Salt Lake for the weekend....and we'll have breakfast there again tomorrow morning! We found the counter staff so excited about their products, and eager to describe & answer questions (despite a line of happy other consumers). Last week, we came for the Kouign Amman - we're headed to Brittany in the fall, and wanted to understand the raves for this regional dish. Heavenly!! And really showed what an amazing hand these people have with pastry & layers. Love the croissant and divine pain au chocolat. So many other pastries, primarily from different parts of Europe with good descriptions of origin and ingredients. This morning, my husband had the Pannetone French Toast - holy heck was it great! Valrhona hot chocolate?? Are you kidding?? Better than Angelina's in Paris! The only "miss" I'm seeing: if you've had Laduree macarons, their texture is slightly better.... Bottom line: we live in Virginia, come out here yearly, and tomorrow I'm signing up for a loyalty card!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

The food here is fantastic. The pastries are delicious. I especially love the chicken wraps, they are light and tasty with a wonderful dipping sauce. The pompenfritz are great too as well as the koyaman. The thing this restaurant lacks is customer service. They make you feel like you are doing them a favor by being there and do not offer many smiles or are they friendly. They may or may not have the different menu items in stock and don't really care if you get what you want, they just shrug their shoulders and say oh well... But it is worth putting up with this in order to eat their great tasting foods.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Great food, but the service and location need attention. You order at the counter and they deliver it to your table. They were less than patient with questions and seemed in a rush to process your order. I looked around for a table and there were many with dirty dishes, and I asked them if they could clear one, and they suggested I sit at the window bar. I said, "I would rather not". They said, "fine", and then left the till to clean a table. There were other people working there, why did the cashier have to do it? Bad management. I had the turkey and avocado sandwich with pomme frites, the bread was freshly baked and delicious. I wanted to put some salt on my fries, but my shaker was empty. So I took one from another table and it also seemed empty, but heavy, so I took off the plug and found it was full of hardened salt. I don't know if they are under staffed or careless, but they need to put in as much attention into the cafe portion as they obviously do with the bakery.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

If you love real french hot chocolate don't miss this cafe in Salt Lake City. But that's only the beginning. The ham and egg sandwhich is delicious. But it gets better, the Kouing Amman pastries are fantastic! Buttery, flaky, and sweet, forget about a diet, these are out of this world. I'll be back in December for a wedding, this is a must for that trip.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Awesome pastries. They don't spare the butter. The pricey Kouing Aman and the less expensive pain au chocolat are the best in the state and up to big-city standards. Service is friendly but not rapid. It would be nice if they opened before 8 am, and even better if they were open on Sunday.