Carlton Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Salt Lake City
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
Salt Lake Plaza Hotel(Salt Lake City)
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
Peery Hotel(Salt Lake City)
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewscooked to order breakfasttemple squaregreat breakfast includedfew minutes walksalt lakefree parkingwithin easy walking distancesized bedcity creekcoffee makerthree nightsdowntown slcldsremodelssinkmicrowavelodging
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 October 2007

This September I returned to the Carlton for my seventh week-long stay in as many years. My roomate and I come for a week of research at the Family History Library every Fall. We know the staff so well, they meet our particular needs without us even asking!
We had an older suite this time, but as usual, it was cleaned nicely every day and stocked with the extra towels and pillows we required. (My only complaint would be regarding the smoky smell of some of the towels. Whoever is doing laundry should not smoke!) It is not a smoke-free hotel, though there are smoke-free rooms and breakfast cafe is non-smoking.
We return to the Carlton because of (1) value, (we don't want to pay for amenities we wouldn't use anyway), (2) location - quiet atmosphere, close to Temple Square and TRAX light rail; (3)great full breakfast. If there is something you require or want that is NOT on the menu the staff will try to get it for you. (4) Service -- very friendly, accomodating staff; van service to and from Library and airport.
We will be back next Fall!
Derbydeb, Kentucky

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank Derbydeb
Reviewed 7 July 2007

We stayed here 2 nights over Christmas holiday.This property is like the hotels of yesteryear.It is run well but needs a womans touch.They need to add some color,better artwork and some updated furnishing and this place could be a boutique business hotel.They have an area for a hot tub which is nice a feature. It is located a block from the downtown mall and close to all the sites.The basement breakfast room reminded me of a diner.Parking is tight as others have said.It just wasn't cherry enough for Christmas IMO.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tickettoride
Reviewed 17 June 2007

I stayed here for one night while staying over in salt lake city. I would not stay there again. Here is the plus and minus:

PLUS:

1. Fridge and microwave in room
2. great price for the location
3. helpful staff
4. Internet access in the lounge below
5. Free, good breakfast

MINUS:

1. I could not get connected to the internet because my wireless card was "too new" !! However, the staff told me that my computer had a problem (which it did not) because most other people had no problems connecting. I tried calling the number they gave me, and was highly annoyed after no useful help for an hour.
However,
- they allowed me my PC to the the common hotel computer.
- let me make long-distance calls for free,
- and gave me a 10% discount !

2. The rooms are not very comfortable. I found it difficult to sit on the commode because of a wall. The blanket was not very fresh and clean. Toilet accessories were not good

3. Not much on TV. Only a few channels. Then again, why watch TV in a new city ?

4. You will need to get the iron and board from downstairs

5. PARKING: The parking space is fine, but you have to get someone to open and close the gates between 10 PM and 7 AM each time !!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank ekmainaur
Reviewed 10 February 2007

If you prefer older hotels with character to the generic cookie-cutter newer budget hotels, this one is for you. The hotel was built in 1924 and has been remodeled at different times over the years. The rooms are very clean and functional. It reminds me of some of the older hotels in London--not fancy, but great if you plan to be out and about the Salt Lake area. The price is very attractive. The other thing that stands out about The Carlton is the staff. Each and every person went out of their way to help us in any way they could. It is just adjacent to Temple Square, very central to many sites in Salt Lake City.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank TractorGirlDenver
Reviewed 8 February 2007

Overview: I stayed here for five days last March (2006) on a ski trip with three of my friends and will be staying here again this March.

Three reasons why you’d want to stay here: 1) Affordable: Includes parking (a tight fit if you have a larger vehicle) and a daily breakfast (though it is in the ‘basement’ – not much of a view and somewhat dark) 2) Location: Right downtown, near all the LDS sites and the restaurants and shops. 3) Staff: Very friendly and helpful.

Three reasons why you wouldn’t: 1) Décor: Somewhat austere and if you are used to staying in a Hilton or Marriott, this isn’t the place for you. It’s more like (as one previous reviewer noted) a college dorm room than a hotel. 2) Scene: Very somber and serious. A lot of genealogists and longer-term guests stay here, from what I could determine. We didn’t spend a lot of time in the hotel. 3) Space: The entire hotel (lobby, hallways, stairs, dining room, parking garage, even the elevator), was a little bit too ‘cozy’ (claustrophobic?) – I guess I’m used to having more room when I stay in a hotel. From my room’s window, my view was the wall of the building next door.

Conclusion: For the price, our foursome was happy with the hotel. As I said, we are staying here again in about a month when we make our annual ‘spring break’ trek out west to ski. You definitely could do worse. And a lot better if you are willing to pay more to stay elsewhere. And if I were in charge of making the arrangements for the trip, I probably would spend the extra money to stay someplace else.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends