“Old-Fashioned Charm in excellent location”
Review of Carlton Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salt Lake City
Carlton Hotel
Ranked #50 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We chose this hotel primarily because it is located in downtown Salt Lake City and we were able to park our car in the hotel's attached parking garage and walk everywhere we wanted to go. Our room was huge and had a complete kitchenette including a small refrigerator, freezer, sink, toaster, coffee pot and plates and cutlery. The hotel provides a complimentary hot breakfast cooked to order. The front desk person was friendly and helpful with directions.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We read many reviews and were excited to stay at the Carlton. We were attending a concert and it was within walking distance. The people at the front desk were very friendly. They also offered us umbrellas as it started raining when we went to leave for the concert. The hotel appeared to be very empty. We were given a room on the first floor with a view of the parking garage : ( It did have a kitchenette with a broken fridge. The bed was lumpy, but the room was very clean. We were disappointed in the morning to find out they were only have "continental" breakfast. Really it was cold cereal, juice, toast and an apple or orange. We were the only ones in the dining room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ParkCityDancers
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure I would like this hotel. I ended up staying here for a convention because the hotels near the convention center were sold out. I decided to make the best of the situation, but I found I really liked the hotel. The people who work there make the property shine. I am sure I could find fault with the hotel had the people not made me feel so at home.

For the negatives, the hotel is older. The elevator is small and comes to a hard stop when landing on 1st floor. It also doesn't land evenly on other floors. I found I prefer to use the stairs. As far as the room is concerned, mine was small. After reading reviews here, I expected something a bit more spacious. This room reminded me of one in a large city where space is at a premium. The TV is vintage, but I rarely used it so it didn't matter. The curtain rod fell off the wall for no apparent reason. My room had a view of the side of another building (ie-there was no view,) but I could still open the blinds to let some natural light into the room. There was a nice long closet storage area just inside the room. It was great for getting luggage out of the way. In the closet, here was a light with a pull cord and the whole light moved a bit every time I turned it on. Since I could see black wires behind an area on the wall, I decided maybe it was best not to use that light and tried to turn it on as little as possible. I think the worst part of my room was the lack of water pressure. People with short hair will fare better when getting ready in the morning. It took a long time to wash shampoo and conditioner from my long hair. I might have drawn a bath and dipped my head in the water, but my room only had a shower and no tub.

Despite all those "flaws" I loved this hotel. The staff treated me like family. Larry, who drives the hotel van, took me anywhere I wanted to go, which was much appreciated in an area with few taxis and excessive daytime outdoor temperatures. The hotel is just steps away from the food court end of the City Creek Center mall, so it was easy to walk there. It was also easy to walk to a neighborhood grocery store on the same block. My room had a microwave and refrigerator which came in handy for snacks. Each morning I went to the basement for a free cooked-to-order breakfast. I liked being able to get food prepared to my liking instead of having to get it off a buffet line. One day I got there too late for breakfast and they allowed me to eat a bowl of cereal, so I was appreciative. This hotel is old, but somehow it does not have that "old-hotel" smell that other hotels have. The beds & pillows were very comfortable and allowed me to sleep very well. Perhaps I slept well because this hotel was also quiet. It's not a "party" hotel and I think I only saw one or two children the entire week. The patrons are mostly older adults who are in town for specific purposes (family history research or conventions.) I think it would be a good hotel for people traveling on business because of the services provided, but I didn't see any "suit-types" staying there during my stay.

The hotel is very inexpensive at $79/night for 2 of us. When you combine all the free perks (local transportation, breakfast, wi-fi, parking) with such a convenient location and friendly folks, you end up with the best hotel in town! Despite the negatives, I have to give it a 5* rating because the good really outweighed the bad. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 1Venus
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Booked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and the price for our over night stay in Salt Lake City. It's easy walking distance to Temple Square and an indoor shopping mall with plenty of restaurants. It is an older property and the door keys are metal, and not plastic cards. The exercise room only held two older exercise bikes, and an attendant needed to unlock the door. The room was large and each of the three windows held an older model air conditioner. One was too loud and we turned it off before going to sleep. The bed was comfortable, but the best feature of this hotel, is the made-to-order breakfast included in the price. Delicious!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carters_Chronicles
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Had two separate, one-night stays here in May 2013. Parking here is either on the street or in a very small garage, but we did not have parking problems. The property is not modern. E.g., the elevator is small, and there are short stairways w/o ramps. There are window-mounted air conditioners, and our room required stepping up into the bathroom. With that said, for the price, this property was perfectly fine for our needs. It was reasonably clean, and the staff were great. The little dining room (for breakfast only) looks at feels like someone's basement den, but for the money, the breakfast choices, quality and service were great. Location is an easy walk to the Temple complex. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank westernfb
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Booked this hotel sight unseen as a stopover on our way from southern Utah to Yellowstone NP. We were pleasantly surprised! The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. There is parking behind and in a small garage underneath which was nice. The hotel is older, but very clean. Our room was huge and had a full kitchen. The window didn't lock, but we were high enough up not to be too worried. It was nice to have laundry facilities here and we did take advantage of them. Enjoyed a complimentary breakfast the following morning before checkout. The dining room is a bit dated, but again, clean enough. The area seemed to be very safe. All in all this is a great value for a stay in SLC.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Whitestavern
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Save your money and stay at a very clean economical hotel that includes a full made-to-order breakfast. This is a basic hotel and didn't include a hair dryer but we had absolutely no complaints and were happy to save on the room rate. And it was in very close proximity to Temple Square so we could walk over and walk around the grounds before heading out.

• Stayed: June 2013