“If Money Is An Object...”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #66 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
“If Money Is An Object...”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

then this is your place. Slightly run down, but our room was clean, sheets white and crisp and pillows comfy. Showerheads low. Fan was a racket, but the heater worked good. They're pet friendly. Walk to the Red Iguana, best Mexican in Utah and beyond. Don't expect much left for breakfast after 8:15. A good value. They also have a shuttle to the airport and I understood maybe elsewhere... temple? shopping?

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay.

We are a thriving Economy Hotel with much competitiion in the area. Your feedback is valuable and will help other guests for the near future. We want to be the Leading Economy Hotel for Salt Lake City and are working hard to acheive these goals.

Thank you for your time and business, we hope to serve you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Hebrew first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

I'll give it Five Stars for the price. Decent rooms, attentive front desk staff, secure, and area shuttle. Remember, the rate is like five times less than the Marriott.

There is a Mexican Palace across the street that's great but way over-hyped. For REALLY great Mexican fare, walk to any of the nearby taco wagons where they may not speak your language. It's like 25% of the cost.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. We value all guests feedback and look to increase satisfaction when opportunties arise.

We also enjoy the Red Iguana and the local taco wagons as well. The employees are frequent customers.

We hope for another chance to serve you in the near future. Thank you for your business.
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 28 February 2014

After a horrible night in a filthy room that included stained bedspreads, nasty carpet, a backed-up sink and a front desk clerk who would never answer the phone, we awoke the next morning to find BED BUGS in my child's bed. We had rented two rooks, and they refunded the price of the buggy room, but now we had to worry about bringing home unwanted hitchhikers, sanitizing everything, not to mention my daughter was covered in bites. Disgusting! Avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't pick room 207!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SunnyK1974
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Traveler,

We are devastated to hear of the incident you experienced while at the Econolodge. We will do everything in our power to make sure that this occurance will not happen twice. We can assure you that all proper measures have been taken care of to eliminate this issue permanently.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Whether good or bad, sharing your experience on social media is greatly appreciated.

We hope for another chance to serve you in the future, it will be our pleasure to make this right.

Travellers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 9 February 2014

You get what you pay for. I stayed here for less than 50.00 a night. If you need a clean, cheap place to flop, this is it. Helpful staff, TV, free wifi, good bed, hot water. Towels are a little thin, room is a little roughed up, but like I said, you get what you pay for.

One word of caution. It is around the corner from the arena where the Jazz play. I was here on a game night - it was packed. And after the game, there a lot of noise in the parking lot. So if you're looking for a good sleep, don't stay here on game nights.

Also, right across the street is a very popular little restaurant called The Red Iguana. They serve authentic Mexican food and do a pretty decent job.

Room Tip: See comments above re: Game nights.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Adam Mitchell
Econolodge Downtown Salt Lake City
toronto
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Reading the reviews for this property, I think people need to remember that it's a $50/night motel...can't expect the Ritz. Unfortunately I paid three times that due to booking during Sundance and a convention, and I'm pretty annoyed about that. $150+ is the price for a decent mid-range hotel and this is far from it, but I was desperate. Clearly so were a lot of others as the hotel was full. I was extra annoyed when I saw the other independent motels down the street that were advertising regular price, but they're not on Expedia. I expected dated/worn decor, noisy heating, burns in the comforters, drawers that don't close properly, a toilet that keeps running etc, marks and stains, and that's exactly what I got. However, for the one night I was there, it was generally clean and the bed was surprisingly comfortable. The location was better than I expected - 20-minute walk/5-minute drive to Temple Square, and it was also on a Trax route. It's also a short drive to the airport. The area is definitely empty at night but that's what I found about SLC in general...once you leave downtown, it's a pretty desolate place. I didn't see anyone shady though it was winter. A bunch of men did wake me up at 4:30am and I hear a few strange noises in the night. Econo Lodge however is across the street from great authentic Mexican food - the Red Iguana - and there are more useful places down the street - laundry, McDonald's, a Mexican grocery, 7/11 etc. Besides the price, my other complaint was the free shuttle...a fine idea but the two times I ended up using it, there was miscommunication between the staff and the driver, and I was forgotten about so I ended up wasting time waiting and wondering if I should take a cab instead. I didn't try the breakfast but I doubt it was impressive...they serve it in two guest rooms which is a bit odd. Also the lobby is really shabby and should be upgraded as it gives a terrible first impression. If I was spending several days in SLC I would definitely spring for a better hotel but as a place to spend the night while passing through, I thought it was just fine and is what a $50 hotel in a city is typically like.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jen M
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at the Econolodge. The info that you provided was very helpful to other travelers. We value all of our guest's comments and take them very seriously. It was great that you were able to try the Red Iguana, they are a real treat to have across the street.

If traveling through Salt Lake City again, please reach out to me and I'll be sure to offer a discounted rate. I apologize that you are catching us at a very busy time. Thank you again for your time and we hope to have another chance to serve you in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

When I called to confirm our reservation, a real live person at the hotel answered the phone and gave GREAT directions--especially helpful since it was dark when we arrived, and I was driving a U-Haul truck with someone driving behind me.
And they couldn't have been nicer or more professional when we did arrive.
Room was clean and very reasonably priced. If I was traveling through Salt Lake City again, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to complete an online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Adam Mitchell
Grand Marais, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Property is dated and could use some renovation. The location is very good for visiting the downtown area. The AC/Heater was very noisy in our room which made for a hard night sleep. Bathroom needs to be redone. No Hair Dryer in ther room. I would check out other hotels in the same price range before I stayed here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family