Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #43 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Delta ended up comping me and about 15 other travelers rooms at this hotel because our flight from Boston to Salt Lake City was over 4 hours late and thus everyone missed layovers. This was the only choice we were given and at 12:30am, nobody was in a mood to negotiate. We arrived at the hotel together and checked-in rather efficiently. I ended up in a non-smoking first floor room and was not pleased when I entered the room. From someone who is used to at least satisfactory "business accomodations", the Microtel is awful. The rooms are very dated, mirrors across entire wall, leaky bathtub, cracks in bathroom floor tiling, a disgusting stain on the "dorm style" chair in the room, no iron/ironing board, no robes, no working A/C, very thin pillows, and a "very weak" wireless connection which might not even be the hotel's signal.

Overall, I made the best of it because I had no choice, but since my company was paying for my business travel, I probably would have been better off finding a Sheraton or Marriott last minute then staying at this dive of what should be considered a mid-range "motel".

Definitely think twice about staying here unless the rate is too cheap to give up.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 August 2008

If you are just wanting a place to sleep overnight then this hotel takes some beating for value for money. Rooms are small, a little tired but who cares if you're only sleeping? Breakfasts okay and you're very close to the airport. One drawback is that they do not run free courtesy shuttles, these have to be paid for and booked in advance although the price is reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2008

we were supposed to stay here 2 nights with our grand-daughter. the sofa bed was a wreck so she ended up sleeping on the floor, place was dirty and breakfast was horrible. we switched to another place for our second night.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2008

We were "put-up" at this hotel after our flight was delayed and we missed our connecting flight on 2/22/08. The woman and the front desk was "busy" on the phone discussing how they are losing business because they are a non-smoking facility. There was a new girl at the desk trying to get trained but the woman on the phone just kept talking and did the whole check-in process herself while rest of us (including the new girl) listened to her phone conversation. I'm sure she didn't even know what we looked like. I sensed the new girl was very frustrated with not being trained properly and having the woman on the phone "just do it". It was so rude! In the morning we called for a shuttle but the phone just rang and rang. So we went to the desk and talked to the gal face to face to get the shuttle. The hotel was run-down a little but by far the worse for us was the unconcerned staff.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2007

I have stayed at the Microtel Salt Lake City Airport many times over the last 10 years, so I feel I can write a pretty fair review of this hotel.

This hotel's key feature is it's fantastic location. It is the closest hotel to Salt Lake City airport, with all of its east-facing rooms overlooking the threshold of Runway 34L.

For aviation buffs like me, this is prime location to watch the aircraft landing and departing day and night. Aircraft landing on this runway will be less than half a mile away, and large airliners will feel extremely close from this vantage point.

The drawback is, of course, the noise that the airport generates. For me this isn't a problem as I enjoy the sound of jet engines, but not everyone is like me. Noise from jetliners will cause the windows to vibrate.

So if you're looking for a quiet hotel, this one is not for you. It's more for those who want a bit of action and some great views around their hotel.

The interior of the hotel is nothing special, though it does appear to have recently been painted (July, 07). The hotel is now 100% smoke free, a big improvement. In years past, the smell of smoke was very strong in the hallways, and the paint was yellowed and old. This has all been fixed and the interior looks much, much better.

The breakfast area is located in the small lobby area. The hours for this complimentary breakfast are limited and it's usually gone by 9:30am.

Hotel employees give a different experience each time I stay here. I rarely get the same front desk agent twice, and my experiences with them range from outstanding to unpleasant. On our last stay here, the front desk agent that took our reservation went out of her way to make sure we had the room we requested (Airport View, 3rd floor), and did not disappoint. A different agent at check-in, however, was rather impersonal. So it depends.

The rooms are very nice. They do lack some amenities, but this was never an issue for us (we pack our own hairdryer, etc, when we travel). the decor of the rooms is appealing, and the hotel has provided a daybed underneath the window for airplane-watching.

There is also a mirror at the head of the beds that runs the length of the wall, and lighting is very adequate. TVs have a good selection of cable channels and HBO. A few years back the AC units sometimes had problems, I once had the cover of our air conditioner unit fall off while I was using it. This has not happened to us, though, in the last three years, so it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. The rooms are not that small, I'm not sure what some people consider to be "adequate" for room size, but I don't expect a room the size of a condo for $60 per night. The rooms are the right size for the price and quite comfortable. Plenty of room to walk around the beds, even with a carload of suitcases and travel bags in the room as well. Beds are comfortable, a little firm but definitely not "hard as wood" as I've read on some reviews.

Parking is free and the hotel has a complimentary 24 hour airport shuttle. This hotel will let you park your car there for a week or two while you travel, at no additional cost! Saves money over using the long-term parking facility at Salt Lake Airport.

Overall, this is a budget hotel with killer views, a small but free breakfast, a great location and a great place to leave your car while you travel. Make sure you request an "Airport View" room when booking. If you're not into the view at all, then yes, there are better hotels nearby that offer good rooms and service, but no nice views like this hotel offers. Depends on what you consider most important.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aloha717200
Reviewed 29 March 2007

My husband and I needed a place to stay near the airport in SLC. We have stayed at this establisment before. It is very close to the airport and very resonable. They have a shuttle that will take you to and from airport. Nothing fancy, but the rooms are clean. If you need an iron or hairdryer ask at desk. Rooms do not have them They do have a free breakfast in the morning consisting of Bagels, fruit, muffins, juice and coffee.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flygirl46ohio
Reviewed 20 May 2006

This was a very nice place for the money. The staff was very flexible about a late arrival and a special request, which can be uncommon at less expensive establishments. There are a number of different motels in this same area, but unless you're looking for specific amenities that Microtel doens't have, I don't see any reason to pay more. This is a newer property (as are the others), looks like pretty much everyone staying here is a road tripper or flying into/out of SLC--so don't feel like you need to fork out extra money to avoid the sketchiness factor. The rooms are slightly smaller than the average hotel (I stayed in a room with one double bed so maybe others are larger). It is a bit closer to the airport than the other places, though I'm not sure the noise will be any greater. You can hear jets taking off and landing, but it certainly doesn't rattle the windows and didn't disturb my sleep. If you're concerned, ask for an even-numbered room, which will put you on the side facing away from the airport. The place had a decent breakfast with all the essentials--coffee, cereals, toast, mini-bagels and muffins. My one complaint would be a slightly annoying rattle in the air conditioner.

2  Thank CalGuy47