“Need more than 5 stars”

Ranked #43 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Monroe, NH
“Need more than 5 stars”
Reviewed 5 January 2010

We got stuck in SLC for a week and luckily landed here. The staff is amazing and the hotel was immaculate - I have NEVER seen a cleaner hotel anywhere in the world. Very inexpensive but very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The bed was absolutely the best hotel bed I've ever slept on; the linens/pillows exquisite and I travel frequently. The flat screen TV mounted on the wall was a nice updated touch. The staff went out of their way to help us out. There is a wonderful restaurant (Roberts) with an amazing selection of food nearby. Despite being close to the airport, the area was quiet and safe. I felt comfortable getting out for a little exercise.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
SoCal
Reviewed 13 November 2009

I made a reservation for this hotel based on my experience at other Microtels. When I arrived, it took 10 minutes to check in. I booked a non-smoking room and when I got to my room, the non-smoking sign was on the door, but the room was clearly a smoking room - complete with ash tray. The carpet was badly soiled and burned; the towels stained; a hole in the wall behind the bathroom door; mismatched amenities, i.e. shampoo and conditioner. Furthermore, the pictures on their website were NOTHING like the room I received. It was a throwback from the 80's. For a hotel that displays the sign that reads something like Guest Satisfaction Award - 2008, I would have expected far more than I recieved. At check-out, the young East Indian gal wasn't at all concerned that our stay was far less than desireable. In the future, when coming to Salt Lake City, I will be staying at the Baymont Inn.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
microtelslc, GENERAL MANAGER at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, 16 November 2009
Dear Guest, I am extremely sorry about your experience at the hotel. The reason that this all happened was because the day that you checked into the hotel we were going through a computer system and reservation system changeover. Your reservation had showed up on our system as requesting a smoking room. We only have 4 smoking rooms in the whole property of 104 rooms. Unfortunately you were given one of those rooms because of how your reservation showed up online. I wish that you had called the front desk or come down to the lobby when you first entered the room, we would have gladly moved you to a more suitable room and probably upgraded you to a suite for your inconvenience. Next time you are in town please ask to speak to the manager and allow us to make up for your unfortunate experience.

Travellers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I got a fantastic rate on this hotel booking online and really got my money's worth. We were put into the handicap room and it was extra spacious!
Perfect inexpensive hotel if you just need one night before going ot the airport.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
salt lake city airport
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip with my associates. I was amazed with the service. The staff was wonderful, the room was immaculate and the location was perfect. We were picked up from the airport and dropped back off on the hotel shuttle which is available 24 hrs. The free long distance phone calls and free wifi was great ! I would definately stay there whenever I am in Salt Lake City again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
British Columbia
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Hello:
We found the rooms comfortable, especially the beds. The front desk staff were helpful and pleasant, too. The air conditioner kept the room at just the right temperature during the hot weather. We used the computer for checking our emails and the computer was easily available. Last of all, it was great calling my U.S. friends with the free calling anywhere-in-the- US feature.
The continental breakfast is basic, but sufficient.
We will stay again when we visit Salt Lake City.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Delta ended up comping me and about 15 other travelers rooms at this hotel because our flight from Boston to Salt Lake City was over 4 hours late and thus everyone missed layovers. This was the only choice we were given and at 12:30am, nobody was in a mood to negotiate. We arrived at the hotel together and checked-in rather efficiently. I ended up in a non-smoking first floor room and was not pleased when I entered the room. From someone who is used to at least satisfactory "business accomodations", the Microtel is awful. The rooms are very dated, mirrors across entire wall, leaky bathtub, cracks in bathroom floor tiling, a disgusting stain on the "dorm style" chair in the room, no iron/ironing board, no robes, no working A/C, very thin pillows, and a "very weak" wireless connection which might not even be the hotel's signal.

Overall, I made the best of it because I had no choice, but since my company was paying for my business travel, I probably would have been better off finding a Sheraton or Marriott last minute then staying at this dive of what should be considered a mid-range "motel".

Definitely think twice about staying here unless the rate is too cheap to give up.

• Liked — Location, Efficient Check-in
  • Disliked — Stains on bedroom chair, leaky bathtub, no iron/ironing board, no robes, very dated room decor, weak wireless
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Burnley, England
Reviewed 21 August 2008

If you are just wanting a place to sleep overnight then this hotel takes some beating for value for money. Rooms are small, a little tired but who cares if you're only sleeping? Breakfasts okay and you're very close to the airport. One drawback is that they do not run free courtesy shuttles, these have to be paid for and booked in advance although the price is reasonable.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple