“Beautiful hotel!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Beautiful hotel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I come to SLC a lot because my son is a U of U student. I have always stayed at the Guest House on campus but now I travel with my dogs. So we looked for a hotel that accepted pets the Guest House does not. The Peery did just that. This hotel is absolutely beautiful. Very historic. My only problem and why I rated this hotel average is because the convenience items were missing. Such as a coffee maker, microwave, or small fridge only silver tray service for breakfast...etc. The toiletries didn't match brands either which was strange. (Shampoo different brand than conditioner etc) Our experience was pleasant but slightly inconvenient at times.

Room Tip: The parlor suite was very nice. Sat on the corner of the floor. Gorgeous room very elegant.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michelle M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Great location, nice hall and large double beds room, but ....
The wifi in the hall is very slow, if you want it in your room you have to pay $10 per day.
The private parking lot next to the hotel will cost you $16 per day. The breakfast is not included and is only available in the room where there's only a small table.
Definitely not worthy the price we payed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ThePeeryHotel, General Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Cricca72,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience.

Allow me to personally apologize for any aspect of your stay that did not exceed your expectations.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss any aspects of your stay further with you and can be contacted wpowers@peeryhotel.com

William Powers
U.S.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

This place was okay. It is a boutique hotel, which means it is old. The first room we had was spacious and had a King bed. The windows over looked the roof and into the room across from ours. It wouldn't have been a big deal, except our pull down blinds wouldn't stay down, so there was no way to get privacy. They quickly put us in a different room. It was a lot smaller and didn't have a clock. The staff was friendly and accommodating. They offer fresh lemon water and starbucks coffee in the lobby. The bed was a memory foam mattress and dreamy. The room was clean and the linens smelled fresh not like bleach. Parking was $12/night. The location is ideal, with several local restaurants and bars in walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Sterling Heights
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Peery is a lovely small historical hotel. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The bathtub was nice and deep. Our King bed was comfortable. They have memory foam matresses. The rooms are a little small and parking is a hassel. Also you will be charged extra to use the internet in your room. There is no charge to use it in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Erie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Peery is a gorgeous historical landmark from 1910. Great place for an "old world" experience. The room was small, and there wasn't a desk, but OMG the bed was amazing! Worth the price just for the sleep quality.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Centennial, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Location was excellent, nice and quiet. Lots of charm. It's been some time since being back in slc. The bar closed way too early. As far as location, all the good places to eat were within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013
CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

We love unique properties. This one caught our fancy despite a lot of the negative reviews. A charming harming lobby is the highlight. We waited patiently as the desk clerk Garrett was texting or playing a game when we arrived at the desk. The other knucklehead at the desk, Joe, just glared at us. We waited a couple of minutes and were finally acknowledged and four of us checked into three rooms on the third floor. We were warned to take our luggage up with only one person in the elevator as the elevator had already been stuck once that day.
I took the luggage up and the other three walked. The automatic leveler on the elevator was off a couple of inches. When I returned the cart I was told "it is normal", I told them it is not. I vowed to walk up and down the the three flights.

The room--nicely decorated, with a comfortable bed and nice linens, but tiny.The bathroom tinier. Think RV or boat size. Again this is not a room for large people.

It gets better folks!..We returned from dinner at about 10.30 after parking next to the rip-off lot next door. There was a car parked against the hotel blocking a fire exit door and fire escape.
I went in and asked the desk clerks if they knew about this was told by Joe "It is perfectly OK." My answer was it is not and that I would call the police. I was told in a loud rude angry voice, "You will NOT call the police" I said excuse me and had that repeated to me even louder. I told him I was going to check and told him if the car was not moved I would call the police. It was moved.

I went back to the desk to thank the clerk and was told to "Leave the lobby, now!! as I have finally calmed Joe down and was told again "Leave!"
We went out for a walk and returned at about 11.30PM. I wanted to ask the desk clerk about AM breakfast options but skipped it since Joe was in the lobby with shirt tails out hanging out in the lobby glaring at us with hate and venom.

The next morning we walked through the adjacent parking lot to get some coffee and another car was under the fire escape and blocking the exit door. I spoke to the manager when we returned. He said he would take care of it immediately. It was there 30 minutes later when we checked out.

The air condition vents are noisy, kind of like sleeping near the airport. There was a take out bag of food with empty containers and dirt plates in the hallway for 15 hours. That's from check-in to check-out. The night blinds sort of worked, in the other room they were in tatters.
The manager Simon Pugh is an arrogant liar.

I will be posting appropriate photos to the Salt Lake City Fire Authority.

Read the other posts.. For an upscale property they got to be kidding.

Internet access $10. per day.
We were on the road for almost two weeks,WI-FI was free everywhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room if you really want to stay here. The average size in many rooms is tiny .Many...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family