“Wonderful Old Fashioned Hotel”
Review of Peery Hotel

Peery Hotel
Ranked #39 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 16 March 2014

A classic old hotel that has been refurbished; rooms are pleasant, not super large with a nice bathroom. When we arrived a young man was practicing on the lobby piano in preparation for a concert he was giving next door in the arts center. We were enthralled with his recital of Bach, Rachmaninof (((sp?), as were the delightful and helpful hotel staff!! The hotel staff quickly checked us in and took the car (for a very modest $10 valet fee). The hotel does not have a restaurant associated with it, but the MarketPlace Grill is just steps away, and it serves terrific seafood for dinner and fabulous eggs benedict for breakfast. This is a hotel with character and by staying there you do contribute to preserving a piece of Salt Lake history!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark K
ThePeeryHotel, General Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed one of the talented musicians performing at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center. Many of the musicians stay with us and are always a delight for our guests and staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

the beautiful lobby and charming original features did little to counteract the expensive wifi, no breakfast, loose tiles in the bathroom on which i slipped twice, a hair dyer that wanted me to be bald.. tv channels that didn't work, no hot water on our final morning and a room that was extremely hot and not being able to open the window even an inch. we reported the issues to the staff and nothing was done although they promised we would be switched rooms. i was not given fresh shampoo and soap on day two and had to call the front desk, that shampoo never arrived. the bed was very comfortable, but we could not wait to be out of there and even debated not staying there all the nights we had booked. extremely noisy heating and air conditioning and no parking. we paid a total of 25 dollars extra in parking. we tried to purchase soft drinks, but there were none available.

Room Tip: air conditioning unit is very noisy, a room with a window that opens would be beneficial to sleep
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ThePeeryHotel, General Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Lyndsey,

Thank you for your comments and concerns. It is very important to have guest feedback to help us achieve our goal of providing the best customer service possible. I would like to personally apologize for the inconveniences you received during your stay. I have scheduled a meeting with the management team to address all issues concerned.

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

First off, this is a beautiful hotel old hotel. Harkens back to its 1910 establishment. Clean. It does not have the worn look of old hotels with torn and lifting wallpaper everywhere. Location perfect/downtown with in easy stroll distance to everything pleasant. The decor is gorgeous with beautiful old world appointments. Checking in you get the feeling this is going to be great and you want to tell your friends. Start the approval rating at the top.

Then -1, no free wifi in room except the lobby (in 2014 really?). As a business traveler/consumer I don't care what your brand is.

Then -2, no hot water. None, nilch. Enough said.

Then -1 for a bewildered, under manned staff during the business week. With no hot water and you're short handed, how can you be composed?

So the last word - I'm really disappointed. None if these can't be fixed once and for all - until such time then :(

Stayed: February 2014
ThePeeryHotel, General Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Our guests concerns are very important to us as it helps us strive to achieve their expectations. I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you received during your stay as a result of our hot water issue in the early morning. Unfortunately when such incidents arise there is no warning. But please know the management team was immediately alerted and quickly responded. Hot water was restored to hotel and its guests within a couple of hours.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Peery Hotel was built in 1910 in a mix of classic revival and prairie architecture and has remained open as a hotel since then. It was the classy joint to be seen in during the 20s and 30s and is still charming today. The rooms are all a little bit different and range from small, European style rooms to large suites. The old charm remains but supplemented by modern bathroom fixtures and new comfy mattresses and duvet covers. Original doors and windows and a graceful staircase feel upscale and all the amenities the modern traveler requires are available.

Very reasonably priced for the luxury.

My three beefs with this lovely, boutique hotel are: There is free WiFi in the lobby, but they charge you for WiFi in the room. There are no easily accessible plugs for all your devices. And there is no coffee maker in the room, though there is complementary coffee in the lobby.

Otherwise, a delightful stay with excellent service and a restful night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank La C

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during your visit to Salt Lake City. As we are continually looking for ways to improve customer satisfaction, feedback from our guests is very important in achieving this goal. I would like to personally thank you for your comments as well as your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Peery in the near future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

It won't wow you and it's not terrible. It's not as good as Sheraton/Marriott but it can easily be better than them. The staff were always great.

The hotel owner must be a cheap guy. If they spend even $150, the room will look so much better.

-yes, some towels are very old.
-the tv is from 1995.
-one soap. So you have to take it everywhere between the shower and the sink. Unreal!
-dollar store shower curtain rings.
-cheap shower curtain.
-not very nice shower curtain rod.
-thermostat from 1985.
-paint peeling off of window frame.
-tiles and wall paper are not impressive.
-days Inn shower head.
-days Inn hair dryer attached to the wall.
-kleenex box with no cover.

Seriously, what makes me sad is that these people don't know how to make a big difference with little money. Property value wasted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote that review on my way back home on a plane. I spent 2 nights in room 302, and before I spent even one night at home, I realized I had numerous bug bites on my body. Wow. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt. 6 bites on my right foot, 7 on my chest, 4 on my left shoulder, 4 on my left wrist , 3 on my neck. Outside temperature was 19F and I was skiing. The only place where my skin was very exposed was in the room.

The hotel could argue that I got them on the slope, back at home...whatever. I am not pointing finger. I just know that I went in with no bumps and came home with bumps before spending even one night at home. You make your own judgement. I will attach some pictures, but obviously, I am not able to show you ALL the bites.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Mayoplane

All guest comments and concerns are very important to us. Our management team quickly responds to any and all concerns presented. Please note

once the management team received your call regarding the bites the hotel immediately called in our professional pest control team who responded within the hour. We have done a thorough investigation of the room and surrounding rooms and have not found any infestation problems. We will continue to monitor this area in accordance with our regular inspections.

As the General Manager of the Peery Hotel I would like to personally apologize for any inconvenience and welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I prefer older hotels, preferably with some history. I'll take these, even with some of their limitations or shortcomings over any safety that comes with reserving at one of the major chains.

This September I got a great rate for the Peery Hotel in Salt Lake City online.

Our room, in spite of the quaint old windows and a shade that did not work smoothly, was really quite regal. The canopy bed was elegant and the large bath charming.

The lobby made me think of some English hotels that I have enjoyed in the past.

I travel the world, sleeping in fields and some of the best hotels. The Peery is a treasure. It's located in walking distance to some fine restaurants an (even in Utah!) a great brew pub/restaurant!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
ThePeeryHotel, General Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am sorry to hear that the shade in your room was not functioning properly. Through the renovations attention to detail has been placed to preserve the historical nature and design of the property. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

So 12 bucks for parking, 10 for Internet, dirty room, horrible hostess at the front desk, my blinds fell down when I was going to bed, and just an all out bad BAD BAAAAD hotel experience. The guy that came and fixed the blinds was the only good thing about this hotel, he was polite, efficient and nice. Unlike the reset of the staff. I would recommend never going to this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Odin T
ThePeeryHotel, General Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience.

Allow me to personally apologize for any aspect of your stay that did not exceed your expectations.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss your stay further with you.

William Powers