“Peery Brothers Would Be Ashamed.”
Review of Peery Hotel

Peery Hotel
Ranked #42 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Littleton, Colorado
“Peery Brothers Would Be Ashamed.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been staying at the Peery for over 10 years. This isn't the only hotel I stay at when I travel to Salt Lake City, but since the first time I stayed here in the early 2000's I thought this place was a real charmer. From the outside you can tell that it's historic, with its classic design and intricate moldings and features. The hotel was commissioned by the Peery Brothers to attract the very best customers traveling to the west in the early 1900s, and is so elegant which is what makes the place so great.

When I first started to stay at the Peery some 10 or so years ago it had different managers. The doorman, Joe, and others were quite social and always greeted you and took great care. The desk staff were great and there was a fantastic restaurant called Christopher's that was famous for steak, but also served 3 meals a day and even provided room service. Coffee makers were in each room, plus a couple bottles of complementary water, and Starbucks packs if you want coffee in the room. In the morning, coffee urns were placed on each of the floors with already brewed coffee so you could get a cup before heading out. Eventually they took away the coffee makers and moved the brewed coffee downstairs to the lobby where it still is today, although there's a poor showing of guests. The restaurant is long gone.

The hotel also used to offer various stay packages, and would make arrangements for skiers to stay with transportation to the resorts. This trip, the place looked deserted, and no skiers were in sight. The old fashioned carpet always looked old, but it was clean and in good shape. Now it is worn and dirty, and the floor is need of repair. The rooms always looked nice and quaint, now they look bleak, and to deal with aging windows they put storm windows on the inside of each window. A real tacky solution to the problem. The plumbing in the tub/shower was askew and none of it looked appropriate for the style of the hotel. There is picture molding around the walls, yet there is not even one picture in the room. There was a stain on the comforter, and rust around the faucet for the sink. The sink plug wouldn't open much causing water to drain too slowly, and the furniture is now too old even for the Peery, including the old tube TVs that don't work too well anymore. I tried to warm the room up by turning up the heat, which caused the fan to run to the point that I could barely hear, but it barely made any difference in the temperature. While I like the Tempurpedic mattresses, the noise from the heater woke me up several times making the overall score for the room a negative number. Certainly not what I recall.

I once had a company meeting here, but I certainly wouldn't plan any type of event here now. This place was so elegant that in the day Salt Lake City's elite would get married here, just to descend the staircase during the wedding march and having a grand reception in the hotel lobby. I have enjoyed wine and cheese for the guests on Wednesday evenings in the lobby when the previous management ran things, and there were plenty of guests in attendance. During my stay this time I walked through an empty lobby and went to the bar because I thought they served food. There were 4 people in there and the only food available was from a scant bar menu. I went across the street instead. The hotel did offer a continental breakfast consisting of cereal, granola bars, yogurt, apples and bananas. Again, I went across the street.

There are other signs of neglect, but at this point, why bother? David and Joseph Peery built this hotel about 100 years ago with some of the most satisfying design elements in mind, such as adjoining bathrooms, every room having windows, a dining room, and more. It was to attract a business client and it also attracted people looking for the best. It is a sad thing to see a historic property like this going down the tube. I doubt I will be back.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here anymore. This hotel needs management who cares about historic properti...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I had an appointment scheduled for my little toy Fox Terrier with her eye specialist for the 19th of May in Salt Lake, decided to make a little pleasure/chore trip out of it. Left Jackson Wy after I got off of work on the 17th at 4 p.m., arriving at the Peery around 8:30 p.m. I had booked through Priceline at 53 dollars a night for 2 nights. Asked for upgrade at front desk, they said they had 1 suite left for 40 dollars more...agreed to upgrade. The suite was very clean and beautiful, also uncomfortably hot. Finally figured out the air system and turned it to the coolest setting, left to have some dinner nearby, came back to room and it still was miserably warm. It was late so just went to bed and thought it would eventually cool. Woke up at 6 a.m. drenched in sweat. Went to shower as I had a full day planned, discovered no hot water in shower. Went to front desk, explained the issues at hand and was shamed by person at desk because I didn't address them the night before,and told that they were not authorized to fix them. Like, really? And the manager would not answer the phone. I will not accept responsibility for a hotel that is not aware of rooms that are defective. When you pay to stay in a hotel, it is reasonable to expect things to be in working order to insure a comfortable stay. The hotel eventually made it right, but oh, what a hassle and struggle it was before they did. Was told at check-in that they only had one suite left, yet they moved us to another suite eventually. Who does that? Lying does not impress this consumer. As for Priceline, their customer service level falls even below that of the Peery Hotel, and I shall never use their service again.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Joyminni
ThePeeryHotel, General Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. I would like to personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Please contact me at your convenience to further discuss your stay with us.

Travellers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Eagle, Idaho
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Grand entry way, sweeping staircases, old rickety elevator where you could turn the light off once inside (for kissing in the dark), quaint smallish rooms for snuggling, and a memory foam mattress for an outstanding night's sleep. Only a few blocks from Temple Square and downtown SLC with excellent freeway access. Only 2 drawbacks: First, there was no dedicated parking structure owned by the hotel. We had to pay a few dollars to park on the street. Second, the continental breakfast consisted of a few very small muffins, bottled juice, and cups of yogurt in a big bowl of ice. We went down the street to Little America where they have an amazing breakfast buffet. Otherwise I would have given 5 stars. Last of all, the price was RIGHT!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steven C
Steven,

Thank you for your comments. As guest satisfaction is very important to us I am delighted you enjoyed our hotel during your visit to salt lake. I appreciate your concerns on the parking. Unfortunately, like many other companies in the downtown area the parking is owned by private individuals. Please know we are always looking into new ideas to help our guest with this inconvenience. The complimentary continental breakfast is new to the hotel and all feedback regarding it is very important to us and help improve our offerings and exceed guest expectations.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I've stayed at the Peery Hotel for 2 business trips to SLC and its been great. The beds are very comfortable and they have nice pillows, not too firm and not too soft.

There's lots of great restaurants in walking distance like Eva's Bakery and Naked Fish. I felt very safe going for morning and evening runs right from the hotel as well.

The complimentary breakfast is so-so. They should get goodies from Eva's! :-)

Room Tip: I stayed in room 340 which was big room with a large sitting room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to having you as our guest on your next visit to salt lake.
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 14 May 2014

All we wanted was a good night's sleep, but that was not possible here! Our room was literally shaking from the noisy band in the bar down below. At 11pm we asked for another room, and the staff reluctantly moved us to one that was at least motionless, if not actually quiet. It is totally unacceptable for a hotel to rent rooms directly above a bar where they are hosting such a rowdy party. This hotel might be acceptable during the week, or if the bar is closed, but not at all if a band is playing. We should have listened to other TripAdvisor reviews and stayed somewhere else, but we were lured in by the "historic" claims of the Peery. Turns out it is an older building with cheap, replica furnishings, small rooms, and few of the usual amenities found in other hotels for similar prices. It was clean, but otherwise, not worth the money or the trouble.

Room Tip: Absolutely stay away from rooms 240-260, directly above the bar and overlooking the parking lot (for...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SMA-PDV
I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you received during your stay. We are looking into other options for our guests during private functions. It is customary to have the attendees of the parties in the rooms directly above our restaurant space. I apologize that we booked you into a room during one of these private functions. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay.
Norwich
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed for three nights at either end of an RV trip through Utah. The hotel is very pretty, nice rooms with very comfy beds. It's big selling point is its location - ten mins walk to shops, near loads of nice bars and restaurants and just ten mins to the main sights and Temple Square. I'd definitely recommend as a base for visiting SLC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Was looking forward to celebrating our Anniversary in this historic hotel as the online pics were fantastic. We arrived and checked into our room just fine. We've LOVE staying in older hotels and were quite pleased with the updates and decorations-beautiful sideboard in the lobby, nice furnishings all around. We chose to stay in a King suite which was nice as it faced the north side and was away from the street traffic and the noisy air conditioner unit. Was surprised as to the location of the bed and armoire/TV-every time we opened the bathroom door, it whacked up against the edge of the armoire-forget having both the bathroom door AND the armoire door open at the same time/caused some aggravation during TV watching. Problems really arose when we got home from dinner later. There was less than 1/4 of a small roll of toilet paper left and NO additional rolls were to be found. My husband went down to the front desk to get more while I stayed to take a bath. NO TUB STOPPER!! I did my best to use a plastic cup that had been left in the trash can (maids forgot it?) - no other cups to be found - and tried to use physics to keep the water from draining. Meanwhile, the front desk staff couldn't find the key (?) to get more tp, so my husband got in the car and drove FOREVER to find a store open at 11:30p to buy more. Frustrating night, to say the least. We then went down to have coffee and there were no coffee cups, only plastic water glasses (just like my new tub stopper). 2 nights, no tp/no stopper/no help...the staff was NOT helpful in our plight - finally received ONE roll of TP the second day of our stay. Called the management to explain our plight and they swore they'd comp us a free night - that was 7 months ago and not a word since. SO sad as this is a great location, a VERY comfy bed and a quaint, historic hotel-the only reason I left ANY stars. Will ONLY stay there again if it's free. They need to be reminded that they're in the "service" industry!

Room Tip: If you DO choose to risk staying here, ask for a room on the north side looking out over the back pa...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ThePeeryHotel, Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Drear Lauren T.,

Thank you for responding to my email request for additional information and bringing these concerns to my attention. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. I have addressed the issues with our staff to prevent this from happening again.

We look forward to your next visit.

William