“Very Nice Hotel, Great Value”
Review of Peery Hotel

Peery Hotel
Ranked #42 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 7 August 2006

The Peery was a lovely choice in a fantastic location in downtown Salt Lake. If you think that a Marriott is a "nice" hotel then you probably won't like the Peery. But if you want something other than bland, boring, middle-class American bad taste, you will find the Peery to be just your style. Quirky and fun, with a very helpful staff and a personality that leaves the chain hotels in the dust. Definitely only for those who don't want dull and predictable.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank gcgarner
There are newer reviews for Peery Hotel

Reviewed 5 August 2006

The Peery Hotel is a lovely old hotel right in the heart of Salt Lake City. I spent three nights at the Peery whilst on business in SLC. The lobby and rooms have been lovingly restored. However, my queen sized room was really small. While I didn't experience the claustrophia that some of the other reviewers mentioned, I did find it difficult to shower in the tiny, tiny shower stall (and I am a rather petite person). The staff were all extremely helpful, and everyone went out of their way to ensure a pleasant visit. Joe, the valet/concierge, was especially gracious and very helpful in suggesting restaurants. The free wine/cheese reception on Wednesday night was a welcome treat. The hotel restaurant has an adequate, if somewhat pricey, breakfast buffet. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank DCDreamer
Reviewed 21 April 2006

We picked the Peery Hotel for a getaway weekend in Salt Lake because it seemed quaint and full of character. The lobby is lovely, like previous reviewers have said. No disappointment there. But the rooms are very small. VERY small. I should have assumed they'd be small, based on the hotel's age and style.

The other main disappointment for us was thin walls between rooms. We should have asked for a different room--not to get a larger one, but so we could escape the noise of the apparently very in-love couple next door to us. We couldn't sleep a wink. We got up in the morning grumpy. We just had bad luck, but I'm warning you: the walls are thin.

• Stayed: November 2003
6  Thank shanloraine
Reviewed 6 April 2006

What a wonderful place! We stayed here based on a positive write-up in Fodor’s. Great location, beautiful lobby with starbucks coffee always available. We had a king suite and the room was very nice and huge! We only paid about a hundred bucks via their website. Marble bathroom and sink, sofa, coffee table and a work/card playing table, free coffee and water. The staff, while not numerous, bent backwards to meet all your requests. The head bellhop (Joe Ortalano) was a great source of info as to where to eat and see, and he also checked us in and took care of getting our luggage to our rooms. When we checked out, I called for my car which was valet parked. The young gal who answered was also working the desk. We took the elevator down, and the car was already there (the gal on the desk went to get the car). Like I said – the staff isn’t numerous but they went the extra mile to do what they can. I highly recommend this place. Next time instead of staying slopeside of near the mountains for skiing, we might just stay here and drive each day. It’s about 35-40 minutes to Alta/Snowbird or Solitude.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank IT-Expert
Reviewed 15 February 2006

we are the best sports when it comes to travelling, so we spent valinteens day at the Peery. They lost our reservation and "upgraded" us to a very chilly room. There is no room service so we got take out at one of the restaurants in the building. At 4:30 am their garbage collection service started banging on the building, we had to laugh. Not much sleep here. Get a room with a street view and make sure your reservations are in order.

Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank earing
Reviewed 12 January 2006

The historical Peery is not for everybody. If you prefer large chain hotels with standard rooms and ammenities, try elsewhere. The Peery is a boutique hotel, and although some of the rooms are small, they have great character. I'm not sure the exact age of the building, but it has been really well maintained and is by far the most unique hotel in downtown SLC. Staff is incredibly nice and very helpful. One drawback for me -- lousy buffet breakfast. Otherwise, I'd have rated it higher.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank wandering-scholar
Reviewed 7 November 2005

My husband and I just returned from a business trip in SLC. We stayed at the Peery for one night, and I am so glad to be back. The city itself is undoubtly gorgeous, but the hotel, which is quite misleading from its lobby has some of the smallest rooms I have ever seen. Our room was basically 10X10, (not exaggerating in any way)..the bathroom is directly infront of the bed and the sink does not even fit in the bathroom, so it is placed next to the bed. The rooms are fairly old and not up to par like other hotels rooms (i.e. Marriott..). It was very hard not to feel clausterphobic. If you must stay here, choose a room with a king bed, not a queen, unless youre traveling alone. The location is great, but there is a Marriott just around the corner that looked a lot nicer, (I find that Marriott's are pretty reliable hotels). I hope this helped.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled on business