“Listen to the reviews "WORST" ever!”
Review of Royal Garden Inn

Royal Garden Inn
Ranked #67 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I could not believe they actually rent these rooms. This place should be condemned! The bathroom was peeling off the walls, bugs in the ceiling lights so thick it was hard to see the light, head boards falling off the walls, this is more like a hostel and maybe worse!

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Kiasohma
There are newer reviews for Royal Garden Inn

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We checked into our room which was at the far back of the property. They seem to be doing some work at the motel and this area is neglected as its in the back. We had s small patio with table and chairs on it so I went outside to give a look. I found two cell phones on the patio, powered up, and many cigarette butts on the floor as well as ash marks in the walls from someone using the stucco to put out the cigarette. I came inside and realized this wasn't going to work for us. Hidden in the back with apparently someone using the patio. Then I noticed the smoke detector was not present. It had been crudely ripped from the ceiling! It felt as though we weren't supposed to have been given this room. Almost as if it was a closed off room given out by mistake. We switched to a room very close to the front. Much better except that the thermostat cover was sitting on the TV. And the ceiling in the vanity and bathroom area is falling down. See pics. Not happy with the room, but tired and cold. Will speak to them tomorrow.

Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank artrep
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I must admit the hotel was clean--run-down, but clean. And the breakfast was better than advertised, having waffles and biscuits and gravy instead of just breads and coffee for a continental breakfast. But that being said, I have to say that nothing else in this hotel is redeemable. I had two non-smoking rooms (having to change rooms in the middle of the night because of a heating issue) and they both reeked of stale tobacco. Clearly the hotel does not enforce the advertised non-smoking policy. The staff seems to be completely incompetent. They did not give a map of the hotel upon check-in and gave no information on where the breakfast room was, where they pool was or where ice machines were. When I went back to the desk to find our the information, I was given the wrong information and found myself wandering around the complex way more than I wanted to (especially on the unshoveled sidewalks in a Utah winter). Among my wanderings I ran into a half dozen other guests seeking the same locations I was seeking, so I know I was not alone in my lack of instruction. I would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you smoke I guess it isn't as bad a place as for non-smokers. If you are desperate, try brin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Wendy F
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I recently drove with a friend (2 females) and two cats cross country. We stopped for 5 nights through 4 different hotels with this being the last hotel. All the hotels were within $5 of each other, but this was the most expensive.

This hotel is surrounded by other very nice hotels so the price was probably more than it should because of this. We arrived after dark (which isn't saying much in January). The whole trip was during horrible winter weather, but Salt Lake seemed to be untouched. There was a little ice build up on the patch between the car and the sidewalk to the door.

The rooms are only accessed by outside doors. We were in a room next to an ice room, trash, and the stairs. So there was activity throughout the whole night. The room was very small and DIRTY. And by dirty I mean FILTHY. There were stains on EVERYTHING: walls, carpets, blankets, sheets, pillows, and chairs. The wall paper was coming off in places everywhere. There was rust in the shower and it was stained with yellow and brown (ever heard of bleach?). My friend asked for 2 new under blankets because ours were dirty, but only one of the two was not stained or ruined by cigarette holes. I just pulled out a blanket from my car and put my jacket over the pillow.

Between the uncleanliness of the room and activity outside we were so uncomfortable we didn't shower or stay long enough for the breakfast. At about 4:30 am neither of us were getting sleep so we checked out and were back on the road by 5 am.

I sound picky, but I usually don't give a care about my room size or to an extent the condition. As long as I have a clean bed, I am only paying for a nights rest, but I really really couldn't do it here. I have never felt like I should have spent extra $ to stay some where nicer before that night.

This place needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

Room Tip: As 2 females we were not comfortable here. Ask to be moved if you are near the ice house, staircase...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

After swapping rooms once when our first non-smoking room stank of smoke, our room was fine (if a little dated). Breakfast was adequate, and you can walk from the motel into the city (a few blocks). We didn't experience any of the security concerns mentioned by other reviewers.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JamesTP
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I had read all the reviews and was in two minds about cancelling. We are a family of 7 with 5 kids, I was sooo scared! But the price was good and the reviews were either awful or ok, so I decided to brace ourselves and suck it up and stay as nothing was this cheap.

Oh wow, so glad I didn't cancel. The place was great!! The 2 interconnecting rooms were fine, we were about 10 rooms from the lobby, upstairs as I hate hearing people walking above us. or cars starting right outside the window.
The rooms were spotless. Sure the odd tile in the bathroom could do with changing, but you can say that about the hilton at orly airport. It was as rough.
Had breakfast and sure, it was in a conference room and a bit dingy, but hey, it isn't the ritz. Some people are a bit precious I think. My kids loved it and ate till they rolled out.
It was all fine and the photos don't show how big it is, I think there are about 200 rooms maybe, it is huge,

Next to a motel 6 and I thought that was ours and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't and it was nicer.

Sept vanity area, and bath with good shower and loo in a room off the vanity / come walk in wardrobe.
Large rooms, 2 queen beds , they brought us a fold out bed and gave us a 1 pm check out, beds good, pillows good, enough space.
Very pleased.
We are here for 3 nights, and would stay again.
The price and value is exceptional. I would be happy to pay more than I did for what we recieved.
We had rooms 215 and 214 they seemed to be ' refurbished'
The outside looks like a southern home with shutters and colonial windows.
Photos don't do it justice.
Can't use the pool as it is covered in 3 FT of snow.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank kiorakiwi
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We chose this place to sleep in Salt Lake City before we travel back to Europe. It was perfect for this purpose. Cheap, easy to access, very good downtown location. The airport isn't far and all the highways are easily accessible. We read many reviews and we thought we give it a try. We didn't disappoint. We arrived a bit late but the receptionist was helpful and finally we found our room. It was a bit far from the lobby and we had to carry our big luggages to the first floor but it is the same everywhere if there is no empty room on the ground floor. I took some pictures to show the room isn't bad at all. We didn't have breakfast since we were tired and didn't want to wake up that early. The checkout was smooth and fast. Overall we would stay here again if we are in Salt Lake.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple