“Creepy, people seem to live here!”
Review of Royal Garden Inn

Royal Garden Inn
Ranked #66 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great price but, you get what you pay for. It's obvious that people are actually living here. Lots of Mexicans, not that that's a bad thing but, they all brought out there room chairs at night and blaired Spanish radio. I felt intimidated going to get ice squeezing by and asking them to "please move your legs so I can get by". Breakfast.....they try. However, be sure to bring your room key. Overheard staff asking to see a room key to what honestly looked like a tweaker loading up on TONS of sugary stuff. She had 3 plates loaded with 8 waffels, a coffee cup full of syrup, about 30 mini muffins and MUCH MORE. When asked to see her room key, From across the room a thin white male yells, "yo, yo, yo, that's my girl!". Felt like I was in an episode of breaking bad. I did not feel safe. When I woke in the morning my door was ajar. I KNOW I locked, dead bolted and used the swing arm at the top locked. All but the swing arm was unlocked. If you're a woman, traveling alone, DO NOT STAY HERE! If you're a male, short on funds and can hold your own have at it.

• Stayed: June 2014
Royal I, General Manager at Royal Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thanks for taking time to review our hotel. We do not have any long term guests or offer extended stays. Some guests do like to take advantage of the exterior entry rooms and enjoy the weather outside their rooms. They sometimes even enjoy music. As long a guests are not disturbing others we leave them be. Nuisances are asked to disperse and leave if they cannot be quiet. Breakfast is free but we do verify keys. Doors do not open themselves and I am not sure what happened.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

You get what you pay for. The price is reasonable. The room was definitely dated but clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was pretty sparse. Lots of Carbs. No fruit. Clientale a bit sketchy. Lock your door! Quite a walk to Temple Square etc. Bring a car. Lots of free parking. I would NOT rely on the Airport Shuttle ( shared by 3 hotels and rarely runs).

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room AWAY from the vending machines
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I could not believe they actually rent these rooms. This place should be condemned! The bathroom was peeling off the walls, bugs in the ceiling lights so thick it was hard to see the light, head boards falling off the walls, this is more like a hostel and maybe worse!

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Kiasohma
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We checked into our room which was at the far back of the property. They seem to be doing some work at the motel and this area is neglected as its in the back. We had s small patio with table and chairs on it so I went outside to give a look. I found two cell phones on the patio, powered up, and many cigarette butts on the floor as well as ash marks in the walls from someone using the stucco to put out the cigarette. I came inside and realized this wasn't going to work for us. Hidden in the back with apparently someone using the patio. Then I noticed the smoke detector was not present. It had been crudely ripped from the ceiling! It felt as though we weren't supposed to have been given this room. Almost as if it was a closed off room given out by mistake. We switched to a room very close to the front. Much better except that the thermostat cover was sitting on the TV. And the ceiling in the vanity and bathroom area is falling down. See pics. Not happy with the room, but tired and cold. Will speak to them tomorrow.

Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank artrep
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I must admit the hotel was clean--run-down, but clean. And the breakfast was better than advertised, having waffles and biscuits and gravy instead of just breads and coffee for a continental breakfast. But that being said, I have to say that nothing else in this hotel is redeemable. I had two non-smoking rooms (having to change rooms in the middle of the night because of a heating issue) and they both reeked of stale tobacco. Clearly the hotel does not enforce the advertised non-smoking policy. The staff seems to be completely incompetent. They did not give a map of the hotel upon check-in and gave no information on where the breakfast room was, where they pool was or where ice machines were. When I went back to the desk to find our the information, I was given the wrong information and found myself wandering around the complex way more than I wanted to (especially on the unshoveled sidewalks in a Utah winter). Among my wanderings I ran into a half dozen other guests seeking the same locations I was seeking, so I know I was not alone in my lack of instruction. I would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you smoke I guess it isn't as bad a place as for non-smokers. If you are desperate, try brin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Wendy F
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I recently drove with a friend (2 females) and two cats cross country. We stopped for 5 nights through 4 different hotels with this being the last hotel. All the hotels were within $5 of each other, but this was the most expensive.

This hotel is surrounded by other very nice hotels so the price was probably more than it should because of this. We arrived after dark (which isn't saying much in January). The whole trip was during horrible winter weather, but Salt Lake seemed to be untouched. There was a little ice build up on the patch between the car and the sidewalk to the door.

The rooms are only accessed by outside doors. We were in a room next to an ice room, trash, and the stairs. So there was activity throughout the whole night. The room was very small and DIRTY. And by dirty I mean FILTHY. There were stains on EVERYTHING: walls, carpets, blankets, sheets, pillows, and chairs. The wall paper was coming off in places everywhere. There was rust in the shower and it was stained with yellow and brown (ever heard of bleach?). My friend asked for 2 new under blankets because ours were dirty, but only one of the two was not stained or ruined by cigarette holes. I just pulled out a blanket from my car and put my jacket over the pillow.

Between the uncleanliness of the room and activity outside we were so uncomfortable we didn't shower or stay long enough for the breakfast. At about 4:30 am neither of us were getting sleep so we checked out and were back on the road by 5 am.

I sound picky, but I usually don't give a care about my room size or to an extent the condition. As long as I have a clean bed, I am only paying for a nights rest, but I really really couldn't do it here. I have never felt like I should have spent extra $ to stay some where nicer before that night.

This place needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

Room Tip: As 2 females we were not comfortable here. Ask to be moved if you are near the ice house, staircase...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

After swapping rooms once when our first non-smoking room stank of smoke, our room was fine (if a little dated). Breakfast was adequate, and you can walk from the motel into the city (a few blocks). We didn't experience any of the security concerns mentioned by other reviewers.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends