“Not too bad.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Ephraim, Utah
“Not too bad.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

After reading all of the "terrible reviews" after I had already booked a room, I was pretty nervous about staying here. It wasn't too bad, though. The room was clean, the beds were comfy and the pool is nice, deep and clean looking. There were some problems with some of the tile in the bathroom coming away from the wall and what looked like mold under the calking in the bathtub. One thing that was a bit hard to deal with, though, was that there was no climate control/personal air conditioner in the room. It was just a vent in the ceiling blowing out almost not warm air. After showers the room was pretty stuffy. The staff was really nice and accommodating. I have medication that needs to be refrigerated so they sent a mini fridge to our room. The breakfast was good, too. I liked that they had biscuits and gravy, but was sad that it was the only protein provided. Lots of carbs (I'm diabetic). It would have been nice to see some fresh fruit and maybe just some boiled eggs. Also, the floor around the breakfast bar was very sticky. Overall, however, it was a pleasant stay. As we were about to leave I asked my kids (all teens and tweens) if they would like to stay there again sometime and they all said, "Sure!"

Room Tip: You should probably bring a fan if you want to stay cool in the summer. I was wishing I had mine.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cortez, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Linda Outside very ran down....hallways not swept....Roaches in room...bathroom..... on the walls and on floor some dead and some running when we turned on the lights....shower water was very hard to get, the water was to Hot then to cold.... T.v. sucked and no Wifi.... Do Not Stay here!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda K

Travellers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Attached are some photos. The chair in the room was filthy and had a hole in it. The ceiling in the bathroom was ready to fall down. The carpet was worn, and carpet on the steps to the room had holes along the edges. The walk to the rooms hadn't been cleaned in at least months.

The breakfast room was dirty as well. The container for the oatmeal, unbelievable. Needless to say, we didn't have breakfast there, it may have been free, but....

It is my own fault, I should have read the reviews more carefully. This was absolutely awful.

Room Tip: STAY AWAY! There are no good rooms.
Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dagpel
Albany, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The room we got had a filthy bathtub:the tub was leaking and the mat and rim had mold. The bathroom door had holes on it. You can tell that no one cares about maintaining the room. Across from our room is a suppose-to-be ice and vending room. But because it is empty, it apparently becomes a shelter
for the homeless. This is absolutely the worst hotel I've ever stayed.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank QQcherry
Winnemucca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is just about the worst place I've ever stayed. It's the type of place you want to take a shower *after* you check out.
The carpet is stained, the wallpaper peeling and/or torn, and the paint in the rooms hasn't been washed in eons and is chipped and peeling. Furniture is stained and lamps are broken. Plugs won't stay in the socket. There is a depression in the floor in front of the sink where the carpet is very wet. God only knows what is growing there.
The buildings are no better. Torn, worn-out carpet, peeling paint and the general (and very apparent) lack of maintenance pervades the place.
And the wifi didn't work.
You get the feeling that the staff tries (the room was clean given the condition of the place), but the ownership won't put the nickel into maintenance.
Too bad you can't give zero stars.

Room Tip: Go someplace else
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank John I
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

My mother and I stayed here in Summer 2013. We were in town in June 2014 and it appears no work has been done. This hotel is misrepresented by the old pictures on the travel websites. The beautiful round glass enclosed restaurant is closed and filled with mattresses and overgrown with ivy and other plants.

While at this hotel, I had to have my key reset 4 times because the employees set it for one day at a time. The exterior doors to the hallways were never locked. People were hanging around the entrance and stairway most of the day. The room was acceptable. I was wary about walking without shoes on inside.

There are people hanging around that appear to live at the hotel. When we were there, the homeless off the street would come in for the breakfast each morning.

The employees were less than friendly. This was not surprising seeing the condition of their workplace. We were told in Summer 2013 that the hotel would be undergoing renovations soon. Apparently soon is longer than a year.

The pool has been closed for over a year.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

My fiance and I stayed at the Royal Garden Inn en route to San Francisco. We booked a room there at 2 in the morning through a third-party website and arrived around 4 a.m. While checking in, the front desk clerk on the night shift warned us that we would have to check out at noon that very same day, since we were checking in before 3 p.m. However, for an additional $20 the clerk said she would put us down for next day check out. We took the deal and comfortably went to bed. Less than 6 hours later, we received a call from a woman named Sara at the front desk telling us we had to check out. I explained to her that our check out wasn't until the next day, per my conversation with the night shift clerk. Sara was extremely rude, belligerent, demeaning and ill mannered. In less than 2 minutes of conversation, she threatened to call the police if we didn't check out. She then hung up the phone on me, so I went to the front desk to speak to her. According to her computer system, we had checked in a day early and now we needed to leave. I told her I had checked in that morning and not the day before. She called me a liar and told us we had 10 minutes to get our things out of the room, or she would call the police to have us removed from the premise. I asked to speak to the manager; unfortunately, Sara was the front desk manager and the GM was away for the holiday weekend. At that point I called the third-party company where my reservation had been made to explain my situation. They called the hotel to speak to Sara, who was extremely loud, rude and aggressive over the phone with them. By now my fiance and I had had enough. We figured they could keep the extra $20, because dealing with Sara and her lack of professionalism and customer service wasn't worth the headache. Just as we were leaving, Sara surprised us by telling us we could stay the night and check out the following afternoon at no additional cost. After further investigation (which she should have done in the first place), she explained that the night shift clerk had put the wrong date down for us, so it looked like we had checked in the prior day instead of that morning. While she did apologize, it was the most insincere and resentful apology that I have ever received. It was like a small, petulant child being told by an adult to say that they were sorry. I would not recommend the Royal Garden Inn in Salt Lake City to anyone. The front desk staff is unprofessional and incompetent. Sara is a terrible fit for the hospitality industry and lacks the leadership and problem-solving skills that make a great manager. I hold her solely responsible for the front desk’s lack of communication. If you’re looking for a cheap place to bunk down for the night, you’re better off sleeping in your car.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple