Royal Garden Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Comfort Inn Downtown(Salt Lake City)
View Hotel
Quality Inn(Salt Lake City)
View Hotel
Metropolitan Inn(Salt Lake City)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is my second time staying at the “Royal” Garden. Both times all other hotels were sold out in Salt Lake and we had no choice. DO NOT stay here if you have a choice. Old, run down, poorly run, very clear that management doesn’t care.

This trip we had 6 rooms. All of them were dirty, poorly maintained (even the recently renovated ones) and generally disgusting. Missing shower heads, AC not working or sounding horrendous, toilets without parts requiring an hour of maintenance at 1 am, dirty floors, hallways, broken rails, missing locks on hallways doors, the lists is truly endless.

I understand run down, this is rundown, poorly managed and not caring.

Pass

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank busdevoffice
Reviewed 7 August 2014

What a dive. If you get one of the better rooms, then the $69 rate is almost fair, but only if you get a better room.
When I checked in, I was given a disgusting room. It may not have been cleaned in 20 years. The bed spread was ripped, the door to the adjoining room had obviously been kicked in (and not repaired) and there was no way I was taking my shoes off with that carpet!
I requested a change to one of the "recently renovated room" and was moved to a less awful space. I suspect they clean it regularly, but superficially. It really needs a deep clean. They do make nice fans with the Kleenex and the bathmat, but that's not enough. The tub and sink both dripped - a lot! The mattresses were good, but one leg on one bed was broken.
You can't expect much for $69, and that's what I got - not much.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ProfessorPaddle
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Royal Garden does not have the gardens you would expect! Cigarette and litter is strewn all over the premises! The building renovated has a hallway lock that was faulty and did not lock correctly. My air conditioner did not operate and a new one had to be installed while I was in the room! The cost of this quality was a bit expensive and could only be accepted because it was in the Downtown capital neighborhood! Yes,you are able to get a frig but expect to pay! Breakfast is 6:00am to 9:00am but cleanliness is needed and should be required! The Inn feeds alot of homeless and for the tourists that can be dishearttening! Only if you cannot find anything else should you consider a visit here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anna C
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were apprehensive due to all the negative reviews, but decided to stay here due to location and our budget. It turned out well; the front desk staff were bright and cheerful and accommodating -as well as the maintenance guy who brought us towels and a fridge- and the pool was clean and the breakfast was pretty good (pretty much all carbs, but they have to meet a price point). We stayed in a 2nd floor room and it was fine despite the broken tiles in the bathroom. The down side was that we never got cold air from the AC. (could we trade the noisy AC for a cold AC?)
It was encouraging to see the rooms below us in the process of being renovated. I bet we'll come again.

Room Tip: maybe ask for a renovated room. If the room you do get is terrible, ask for a different room and keep asking until you get one you can live with
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ns S
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After reading all of the "terrible reviews" after I had already booked a room, I was pretty nervous about staying here. It wasn't too bad, though. The room was clean, the beds were comfy and the pool is nice, deep and clean looking. There were some problems with some of the tile in the bathroom coming away from the wall and what looked like mold under the calking in the bathtub. One thing that was a bit hard to deal with, though, was that there was no climate control/personal air conditioner in the room. It was just a vent in the ceiling blowing out almost not warm air. After showers the room was pretty stuffy. The staff was really nice and accommodating. I have medication that needs to be refrigerated so they sent a mini fridge to our room. The breakfast was good, too. I liked that they had biscuits and gravy, but was sad that it was the only protein provided. Lots of carbs (I'm diabetic). It would have been nice to see some fresh fruit and maybe just some boiled eggs. Also, the floor around the breakfast bar was very sticky. Overall, however, it was a pleasant stay. As we were about to leave I asked my kids (all teens and tweens) if they would like to stay there again sometime and they all said, "Sure!"

Room Tip: You should probably bring a fan if you want to stay cool in the summer. I was wishing I had mine.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family