“Not bad”

Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Bozeman, Mt
“Not bad”
Reviewed 21 March 2008

Not a bad hotel, most of the reviews here are spot on so I won't go into to much detail. I've stayed there twice now. Some things that stand out.

Good:
Lots of nice pillows, really good mattress and bedding.
Friendly staff. Nice pool area with a great balcony.

Bad:
$12-14 to park and another $10 for internet. Though you can park in the street on the weekend for free I believe. But paying for internet? Come on. I did pick up the connection from a neigbooring hotel for free.

TV's suck. Horrible picture.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of kids in the pool at all times of day both stays. I know this is mormon ground zero but kick the kids out at night. I had idiot parents letting their little kids jump in and out of the hot tub splashing me late at night. Lame.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 March 2008

I was staying in town on business and couldn't get my preferred hotel. There must of been too many conventions going on in town. I know there was one going on in this hotel while I was there.
I ended up staying in an Executive Level room. My view of downtown was a bit obstructed though. In my travels, I have stayed at many hotels on the executive level floors. I wasn't really impressed with the room. There wasn't anything about my room that gave me the impression I was staying in an executive level room. I didn't like the design of the stopper in the bathtub. It had a tendancy to want to close up on its own.
I did like the Executive lounge on the top floor though. It had a nice view of the mountains in the distance. I would probably stay there again, but again it wouldn't be my first choice.

Pros: Central downtown location, Spencer's Resturant located in hotel, clean rooms. Close to popular sites and good resturants.

Cons: Bathtub stopper design. Room decor.

• Liked — Its central downtown location
  • Disliked — Room decor
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 28 February 2008

The Salt Lake City Hilton is a nice hotel with a great location. However, there was nothing that made this hotel stand out as above-average. The rooms had the standard Hilton bedding (always great), but very little character. The televisions (as noted in a previous review) were programmed to return to the HIlton channel after a specific period of time which I found highly irritating. Most of the rooms (including mine) had obstructed views of the beautiful Salt Lake City landscape. I could barely glimpse the mountains between two office buildings.

The staff was friendly for the most part, but some could use training in customer service. The front desk staff was great, but valet and room service staff was unfriendly. The worst service I witnessed was from the Executive Lounge attendant. He was incredibly unfriendly and very difficult to understand (I'm not sure if he really spoke English).

Overall, the hotel was ok. But for $300 a night, I expect a little better.

Stayed February 2008
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 February 2008

Spotless room, extremely comfortable bed and comfortable bath (no vanity mirrors though). Nicely-appointed, if smallish, public areas on ground floor, and popular pool and well-kitted exercise room on 2nd floor.

TV had an annoying habit of inexplicably resetting itself to the hotel's channel in the middle of programs.

Complaints:
(1) I was given a room on the 5th floor, which was apparently above the laundry room. Washing machine-type whirring sounds were audible in the room and the hallway outside from 6 or 7 am (although not audible at night). Fortunately, I did not spend much time in the room, so was not too bothered by this.

(2) $6 bottles of spring water on the side table are an abomination. Hilton should list these in their room-service menu for those patrons who want to pay for this nonsense.

(3) why the additional charge for internet access, when other area hotels offer complimentary access? Yet another needless example of nickel-and-diming patrons (this is hardly a budget hotel). Note that the hotel across the street includes complimentary breakfast, unlike Hilton.

(4) Minor annoyances with service:
I had a bit of trouble arranging airport transportation.
Valley Shuttle provides shuttle service to/from the airport for $8 each way (vs about $20 for a taxi). (Hilton advertises this on their website.) When I called the courtesy line from the airport terminal to inquire about the shuttle, I was told the hotel did not offer shuttle service; the correct response should have been that I had arrived too late for the shuttle (it was after midnight) and/or that "the hotel does not offer shuttle service but Valley Shuttle does, and their phone number is ...."

On the way back to the airport, I asked the bellboy(?) in the lobby whether I should ask him to call a taxi or ask the fellow outside (?the valet) to. He said to ask the fellow outside, who then told me I should ask the bellboy. I then asked the bellboy if he would call a taxi, and he said the shuttle was scheduled to leave in about 15 minutes. Since I was running late at this point, I just went out and found a taxi on the street myself!

The room, which I purchased through priceline, was a good deal at less than half the advertised rate. It would have been a poor deal at the advertised rate.

• Liked — clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — nickel and dime
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 5 October 2007

Good business hotel in downtown Salt Lake City. All the usuals are included: Pool/Gym/Steam&Sauna/Business Center.

Recommend the steak house on-site.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank SO T
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 September 2007

I was very impressed with this hotel during my stay for two nights. I was attending a convention and liked the proximity of this place in relation to dining and other activites.

The hotel lobby is well kept and the restuarants offer a decent array of food. The rooms are very clean and the beds are amazing. I slept very well each night.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone coming into town for a visit.

• Liked — It's location.
  • Disliked — The gift shop.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank jrman66
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2007

The room was good,but the staff were great. I stayed on the executive floor and the staff in the lounge were fabulous - especially in the evening remembering what your drink choice was.

The bell staff were really helpful in suggesting restaurants and shopping and detailing how to get there.

Great pool and gym, very clean and lots of towels. The sun deck was nice.

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo