“Great place to stay, beware of the buffet”

Hilton Salt Lake City Center
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed here while visiting SLC for a concert. The hotel is centrally located and has very nice accommodations, clean and modern and they even have free bottled water daily :-). Two complaints however; one - the buffet and room service were plain awful. I don't even know where to start but can say overall that the wait staff and manager were unorganized and chaotic. Forgotten drinks, sides, etc. The guy making eggs at the buffet complained to the customers about the management (very professional) . They were the worst eggs ever, and we returned them. To their credit they didn't charge us. The second complaint was the concierge. They really may as well not bother having one as he was unhelpful and admittedly uninformed. However, if you have to stay in SLC the Hilton is a good pick, good value and a really nice property. Just eat elsewhere :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
JKProtzman, General Manager at Hilton Salt Lake City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear DoingOur Part,
Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel, and your comments regarding our breakfast buffet, room service and the Concierge. I appreciate the direct and candid feedback. We strive to provide better than average food and beverage for our guests, and obviously we failed to deliver during your visit. The detials that you provided me are essential for addressing these problems and ensure future guests do not experience the same problems with under trained Concierges, and poor execution in our Trofi restaurant. I will address these issues with our department managers and make adjustments to improve our guest experience going forward. Thank you gain for the direct and detailed feedback.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Salt Lake City Center

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Recent business trip to SLC and Hilton was good stay. Check in was easy and gold status provided breakfast voucher for Starbucks or restaurant.

Rooms were fine with upgrade providing extra room and a modern/clean feel. View was nice of city and temple in the background. Extra's can add up with parking and internet which is provided for free in many close by hotels.

Room Tip: high room and away from elevator.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Spi-kids_LA
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed 4 nights on business trip. Centrally located, close to downtown attractions. Room was immaculate, (recently renovated, with new carpet). Very comfortable bed with premium linen and extra plush pillows. Upgraded bathroom with granite top vanity.

Starbucks in lobby for quick breakfast or great breakfast buffet, in the restaurant on-site (if you have time). Spencer's steakhouse, did not disappoint , was fabulous.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Kiki20995
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Staying at this Hilton for 5 nights on business was perfectly average. The hotel does not have anything unique about it in fact it feels like you could be anywhere in the world. Very convenient for city centre meetings. Some of the small things were disappointing, no replacement laundry bag once the laundry had been returned, no remote control in the room, bedside clock showing the wrong time! The pool and gym are fine and clean. Will look for another hotel with more character next time.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
JKProtzman, General Manager at Hilton Salt Lake City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Hello Giles P,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to SLC. I appreciate the feedback. We definitely do not want to be "average" in any way. I will address the laundry bag, room clock and missing remote control in your room with my team. This is totally unacceptable. I do hope you'll consider us for a future visit to Salt Lake City, so we can regain your confidence in our hotel.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed here 1 night with some friends after a night downtown. We checked in a little early and they offered us an upgrade for only $20/room. The upgrade was well worth it as we were placed near the top floor and the views at night were incredible. The rooms were extremely clean and modern and the entire hotel had a great feel to it. The staff was very helpful and we experienced zero issues during our time here. We will be back for our next weekend trip to SLC!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quite and have great views of the city at night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MontanaPilot
Reviewed 24 January 2014

How does the Doubletree by the SLC Airport 15 minutes down the highway have better service and amenities than a full blown Hilton?
I just transferred hotels today thinking I was giving myself an upgrade, nope, just the opposite!
So the only benefit is the location if you want to be downtown, but you have to pay $18 a day for parking.

No executive lounge (if you aren't in the loyalty program that doesn't mean anything, but if you are, that is one of the big reasons why you choose what are supposed to be the nicer end properties). They say at the front desk that it is stated on the website, so I'm looking now...don't see where it is mentioned on the Hilton website.

I'm going to include a picture of the desk in my room, which is melted, scratched, and stained which again is a minor thing, but really stands out when you walk into the room.

The wooden door that exposed the refrigerator is almost completely unscrewed (luckily I have a screw driver with me for my snowboard if I wish to repair it myself).

The overall look and furnishings of this hotel are actually quite nice (besides my desk), but it is the minor things when you are on the road a long time that really matter sometimes...crap there is no water in this room...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Erik K,
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize to you for the poor quality finish on the desk and the loose handle on the beverage refrigerator. Our team should have addressed these issues prior to renting this room, and as a Hilton Honors Diamond member, two complimentary bottles of water should have been placed in your room. As you now know, we do not have a Concierge Lounge or a Hilton Honors Lounge. I apologize if this was not clearly communicated to you during the reservation process. I do appreciate the feedback and details that you have provided to me for areas that need my attention.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I think for the price point this hotel has a great value. I was very pleased with my room. The amenities were all pretty good, the bed was very comfy and the tv had a great picture. The sofa and chair were also very nice and everything seemed newly renovated. The only thing I did not care for is the hotel room service. The food we ordered was horrible. There are some restaurants in walking distance 5-10 minutes and Ruth Chris steakhouse is literally steps away which is very convenient in the winter months. I visited Park City/Sundance Festival while I was there and used the Hilton's recommended Haroon Transportation for travel to/from airport as well as our private driver to Park City. I found them to be very convenient and professional as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple