“Best hotel in Salt Lake City”

Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is my favorite hotel in Salt Lake. One block from temple square, salt palace, and dont forget the fabulous new City Creek Mall right next door. The staff are always very friendly and knowledgeable and willing to help. A few things you should know, Internet in the rooms will cost you $12.95 per day (normal in higher-end corporate owned hotels) unless you are on a company rate that includes it, or your are a Marriott Gold or Platinum member. Also this hotel does not own their parking garage, so parking is $12 per day which is the norm in Salt Lake. The City Center Marriott and also the Hilton charge for parking. Its a city people! It costs money to park a car where there is limited space! Other than that, the beds are extremely comfortable and rooms are average size. The bathrooms are a little small, but very luxurious with granite counter tops. Most of their rooms have fridges, and YOU CAN CALL THE FRONT DESK TO REQUEST A FRIDGE! They will bring one up to your room for no additional cost. The pool is a good size, the roof opens up when the weather is nice. They also have a hot tub and dry sauna in the locker rooms which are very nice. Also breakfast is not included, but the buffet in the morning for $17 in the restaurant is very delicious and well worth it. I have stayed at several hotels in downtown SLC and this is by far my favorite. You wont be dissapointed!

Room Tip: Request a fridge when you check in if needed, and ask for a city view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek

Reviewed 11 May 2012

It pains me to write such a negative review on my favorite chain of hotels, but the truth is (in my opinion), you would do much better staying elsewhere.

First, they charge $12.95 for 24 hours of internet use. That is "per connection" not per device!!! Granted, if you're a gold rewards member you get it for free. During check in, I told "Brian R." that I would be a Marriott gold within the next 30 days. Didn't make a difference to him. No leniency, $12.95 a day. Of course I was here on business, with employees, thus had TWO rooms... that get's very expensive for something that in this day and age, should be free. Oh, and their suggested solution? "We have free internet in the lobby" - incredible!

The room was clean, spacious and well equipped though the carpet was old and appeared dirty (I wore socks at all times, my own barometer). The room had a bottle of "VIP Water" which looked almost identical to the single FREE bottle many hotels give you upon check in - surprise, it was not free ($3.50). No refrigerator or free breakfast, like most Marriott hotels. The AC was loud. Valet parking was $18 a day. In their defense, the valet guys were nice and did a nice job of handling our team.

Caleb asked me at checkout how my stay was. I told him I was not happy and certainly would not be staying at this hotel again. The service, the expense and the attitude the main reasons. Though he was apologetic, he offered no assistance, nor did either of the other two at the counter listening to me. What I was hoping, and expected, was to hear someone say, "I apologize for the problems, let me get a manager for you to discuss this with". I wasn't looking for a discount, just someone in management to listen to my concerns. An upset rewards member, only 8 stays away from 50 nights (in the first five months of 2012), should not have to "ask". Nor should I have to pay for internet, again, in my opinion.

In closing of the longest review I have ever written... though I love the Marriott chain, adore Salt Lake City, until they make some changes, I would suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank johndfffff
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The hotel was nice and had a little fitness room, good size pool, and clean and attractive rooms. Be sure if your corporate travel agent books the room, that they give Marriott authorization to charge the card that they reserved with. The hotel is convenient to restaurants and bars within walking distance.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I had a terrible experience at the Ogden Marriott and decided to change the pace and stay at the SLC Marriott and make the drive. Their service is exceptional, everyone at the front desk is very attentive, helpful, and courteous. It is central to everything you need to get to in SLC including places to eat. Most importantly the rooms are clean and up to date. The only suggestion I have to this location is to not charge Marriott Rewards members (silver and above) for parking. This would really boost guest satisfaction!

Room Tip: Great views, try to get a room on the 5th Floor and above!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I often stay here for work and love the rooms. The hotel is always clean, and the beds are so comfortable I sleep like I'm at home in my own bed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Great central location, walking distance to shops and restaurants.

Jointhe free Marriott rewards club for easier bookings and better pricing.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 11 April 2012

the staff here is very friendly and helpful. We had a king bed room with a rollaway for our daughter. They already had it set up and made before we even came to the room. The elevators, although busy, moved very quickly and you never had to wait long. We were on the 14th floor and had no problems. The restaurant in the lobby had a great breakfast buffet and all the staff there was attentive and friendly! I would definitely stay here again! The new City Creek mall is around the corner and temple square is a quick walk away. The bed was very commfortable and we had extra pillows, which was a nice extra!
The only bad thing about the hotel is when walking out you must walk through the valet and arrival area. there is no sidewalk and it can be a little dangerous avoiding incoming cars, especially with small children.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family