“Beautiful Hotel Management lacks personal skills”

Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Phoenix
“Beautiful Hotel Management lacks personal skills”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed here in Mid June of this year. It was a leisure long weekend for my wife and I. We were given a nice up grade to a top floor as frequent guests of Marriott's around the country and world. This was our first stay at this particular property. We were impressed with the brick and mortar of the property. It is located very close to great shopping and restaurants. You enter to a beautiful lobby and friendly staff at the front desk. As mentioned we were slotted to a top floor room next to apparently a large suite. The room was nicely appointed. Fresh carpets and fresh paint and furniture. Unfortunately for us on our Saturday night at near midnight a party broke out in the suite next door and the noise was great enough that security had to make an appearance and ask them to keep it down. But there was no sleeping probably anywhere at this end of the floor. When we complained we were asked to move in the middle of the night rather than management ending the party next door. We were given a new room on another floor but by then my wife found it hard to sleep the rest of the night due to the chaos of the evening. Due to the lack of sleep from that night we asked to be comped for the one night out of the 3 nights we stayed during our trip in SLC. The Manager of the hotel would have no part of this and gave us a few Marriott points instead. He was also condescending to my wife as well. Just poor attitude and disrespect. We have stayed in enough places in the world to know that occasionally we get noisy neighbors. But generally management is good to make things right. We loved out time in SLC and both agreed that this Marriott was a beautiful property with great location. BUT we also agreed we would never stay here again due to attitude of upper hotel management. I very seldom stay at properties that I have felt the need to write negative reviews. I waited a few weeks before writing this one so that I would be less emotional about our experience.

Room Tip: Stay away from the suites on weekends if peace or romance is important.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Harry H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Great Location Downtown. Next to Nordstrom's and City Creek Center with all the shops and Restaurants!

There is a starbuck's with a lobby entrance and there is a bar for the evening.

The rooms are typical Marriott. Very comfortable. The concierge
Floor room is nice with water, soft drinks, coffee and good snacks!!

Straight forward and on business that is what I want!

Stayed June 2014
MarriottCityCreek, Public Relations Manager at Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Kavikaf, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your positive experience online. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon. Safe travels!
Fruita, Colorado
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed for 3 nights over the forth of July. Great location close to city creek mall. Lady at front desk moved us on second night so that we would be on the side of hotel to view the fireworks for my little girl. Room was very clean. Cool at night. Great parking. Only down side was you have to pay for internet in rooms. Would stay again when coming to salt lake.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MarriottCityCreek, Public Relations Manager at Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Brian D,

We appreciate you writing a review of our hotel! We're very happy to hear you had a good experience and a nice 4th of July weekend. My staff and I look forward to your return.

Thanks again, Brian, for staying with us!
Idabel, Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I was planning to book a few rooms for my wedding party in August. When I called on July 4th to make reservations the receptionist, Candy, was very rude. I will be taking my business to a hotel with better customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Trips8889
MarriottSLCUT, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
I do apologize for the lack of service that you received when you called to book your rooms. I would be happy to personally assist you with this or to discuss this further with you. Unfortunately we do not have someone by the name of Candy that works at my hotel but possibly someone that works in the Marriott call center that handles all of our hotels reservations.
Sydney
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here for one night as part of a tour. The location was good, one block from Temple Square and a great shopping centre with a Nordstrom right next door. WIFI at the shopping centre. 3 blocks away was another shopping centre, Union Station. The room was comfortable with a great bed and pillows. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Ging466,

Thank you for writing your review of our hotel! I'm glad that you had a nice experience. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Thanks again for choosing Marriott City Creek!
Kitchener
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great hotel and great location. A block away from Temple Square, City Creek Shopping and across the street from the convention centre. Also lots of great restaurants to chose from, all close to the hotel. Swimming pool is nice when they open the sliding roof.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and were able to utilize our pool. My staff and I look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Thanks again, Sharon, for choosing Marriott City Creek!
Denver, CO
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Location, Location, Location! 3 blocks from the Union Station mall and theater. 2 block to the Energy center where the Jazz play. On site to the river walk shops and mall. Across the street from the Convention center. 1 block from Temple Square. 1 block (in 2 directions) from the trolley/light rail line. Easy access to the highway. So the location is awesome.
The rooms are okay. I wonder why there is such a dearth of drawer space. If you are here for 3-4 days you might be fine but we were here for 11 days. I knew this ahead of time as this is my 2nd stay, and brought hangars for the closet (which did have 10 on it's own). LOVE the pillows and the memory foam bed, but this may not work for everyone. bathroom is a bit dated but it was clean. The A/C in the room worked perfectly, but the phone was a bit confusing trying to find room service, vs. wakeup call, vs. outside line. The Marriott now has a single button for all of it and they transfer you.
Staff was amazing. The fitness center was acceptable and the pool is nice. They have a retractable roof to open it up when it is nice, close it up when it is raining.
Would stay here again based on location alone.
SIDENOTE - Tried to use the Hertz rental car service in the hotel. Big mistake. When they opened (we needed a car that morning) the man talked to me about what kind of car, how long, etc. then said "Well I don't have any cars here" - I would think that might be something you would do at the START of the conversation. Then I got an excuse of the airport is short cars. I walked two blocks to an Avis office in a hotel (Hilton) and got a car no problem. Not a reflection on the hotel, but something to think about.

Room Tip: North viewing rooms above 12 can see to the great salt lake and down into the mall next door. South...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MarriottCityCreek, Public Relations Manager at Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Tcoolhand,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek. I'm glad that you had a good experience and my staff and we look forward to having you as our guest again soon.