“Historic Lodge”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Oregon Caves Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cave Junction
Oregon Caves Lodge
Benson, Arizona
“Historic Lodge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

The Chateau itself is lovely, staff very friendly and accommodating. Room was very basic, no TV, no radio, uncomfortable mattress, tiny bathroom....the dining room, main lodge, gift shop lovely, they have a 50's coffee shop where we had breakfast in the morning, while 50's music was playing. The Chateau is a six story structure fourth floor is at road level. The rustic staircase of oak, and pine or fir is lovely. You can purchase a glass of wine or beer in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Like walking into the past with all the modern conviences. The staff is exceptional. Both dinner and breakfast were delicious.

• Stayed July 2012
Saint Francis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I love staying at historic national park lodges and this was a fun stay. We were there one night and had a two room queen "suite." The other small room had a single bed. We were on the very top floor and it was really a neat experience for us. Yes, the rooms are old and they warn you up front that the walls are fairly thin, so please be courteous of your neighbors (their words). We didn't hear any noise and enjoyed our comfortable bed. The weather was cool and damp so I turned the handle on the radiator and it kept the room warm all night. It didn't get too hot, thank goodness. The bathroom was large and everything was super clean. I loved the old lodge and especially the real-wood fireplace that was burning when we go there and also the next day. So wonderful! It smelled so good. There is no wifi, cell phone service, televisions, or phones in the room, so be prepared to step back in time to a quiet environment. We ate dinner at the lodge and unlike previous posters had a fabulous meal. My husband had the salmon and I had the chicken alfredo. We were celebrating our anniversary and found a bottle of sparkling juice with two champagne glasses in our room waiting for us with a card (I had just mentioned it in passing when making the reservation) as well as free dessert with our dinner (carrot cake, my husband's favorite). Our hostess Laura and server Pamela could not have been more professional and helpful. It was a wonderful experience for us. We were also surprised at the reasonable bill at the end of the meal. After seeing the video on national parks and learning about this old lodge, I just had to stay here. I am so glad we did!

Room Tip: The rooms are old but clean. Part of their charm is the rustic nature of the furniture and beds. W...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lifes2short4me
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

This is a tricky review to write because I love this place on so many levels. The drive up is a real slog, and once you get there it really feels like you're far away from anyplace else. It's wonderful that the lodge still feels old and authentic, but on the flipside it has beds that aren't super comfy and the walls are paper thin (I heard the people in the next room complaining in great detail about one of their in-laws).

It's magical and rare to find a place with this kind of vibe and with a cozy lobby where people can hang out, enjoy the fireplace, play board games, and (on the night we were there) listen to a local band play a combination of 70s/80s pop-rock hits, original songs about Native Americans, and oddball numbers like "Ghost Riders in the Sky."

I should disclose that I did do some research on the the supposed resident ghost before staying here, as this place has been featured on TV shows and websites about haunted places, so my feelings about it may be tainted by the creeped-out factor I felt while staying here. I did take a peek at the third-floor supposedly-haunted room, which has been transformed into a sitting room with no door, probably because of all the ghost publicity, and I got a chill that didn't go away until we checked out and were way down the windy road out of there.

I feel I should also mention that the restaurant was expensive and the food was not too great. The old-school diner downstairs was fun for breakfast. Food ok.

My recommendation: check it out for the experience and see the caves for sure, which are amazing.

Room Tip: Only stay on the third floor if you're not scared of the resident ghost.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Von_Shmavid
Southwest Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

I'm glad we stayed if for nothing more than the experience. The lodge is very old, walls quite thin, very basic. The cave tour was awesome. We also included a stay in the Crater Lake Lodge on this same trip. Definitely a family vacation we won't soon forget!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MsBee78
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

The scenery and the caves are wonderful. The lodge is historic and very pretty, but the rooms are rather unexciting, but clean and basic (no tv's or special amenities). This is really the only place to stay in the area, as the caves are at the end of a long drive up a very winding road in the forest. The small town of Cave Junction is about 30 minutes away, but it's definitely worth it to stay in the chateau as it feels a world away and it would be a big pain to drive all the way back down. Once you are at the chateau, you can relax, hike and take a tour of the caves, which are SPECTACULAR (our tour guide was very good and funny)! The beds are not that comfortable and the walls are thin. It's a charming place (esp. the lobby and common areas), but we did not sleep that well. We actually got up in the middle of the night and went outside to see the most amazing star-lit sky. There is a restaurant downstairs, otherwise, you have to bring in your own food. The milkshakes are so good! Just check the hours for service! The staff is also very friendly and kind.

Room Tip: Book ahead!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Celestialtravels
North Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

We bought the TWO package - cave tour, two nights stay and two dinners -- all for two people. The hotel is a beautiful, rustic old charmer, but the rooms aren't all that nice, and room temperature is unregulatable. The radiator absolutely COOKS the room, so the windows were open a lot, making for a cold room. We found a balance and left both on/open, but woke up freezing because the NOISY radiator heat is turned off at night. There was absolutely nothing special about the room that would warrant the $150/night or balance out the temp problems - NOTHING. The dinners were VERY disappointing. There doesn't seem to be any quality control in the kitchen, but if they had someone in charge who knew what they were doing, it could have been a nice dining experience. It was not. Twice.

Room Tip: See the caves, visit the gift shop, but do not stay or eat at the lodge!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hooplehead

Been to Oregon Caves Lodge? Share your experiences!