“worst hotel stay ever”
Review of Oregon Caves Lodge

and 1 more site!
Oregon Caves Lodge
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Great charm and ambience until you try to get some sleep. The walls here are paper thin, I could hear the entire conversation of the people in the room above me. The lobby below closes at 1030 pm but a bunch of people remained down there til midnite and a woman with a very whiny voice talked on and on endlessly... and, for a place with very few children, I am dismayed to say that this is the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. Would have had more peace and quiet at a truck stop on a highway somewhere. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank RoadNurse

Reviewed 10 May 2009

This was my first time staying at the Oregon Caves Chateau. It is an historic lodge, so more rustic than some accomodations, but a wonderful place to relax!! My room was clean and comfortable, though darkly lit and with only one electric outlet. There are no elevators to the rooms on the second and third floors, and there are stairs from the lobby level down to the restaurants, so I got a workout going up and down stairs. The Chateau is in an incredibly beautiful setting. It has large (although somewhat dark) lobby with windows looking out to the ravine, where you can sit and read, write letters, or converse. The weekend I was there, there was a special event going on, so there was live music in the lobby every evening, and one night there was a fire in the big fireplace. The continental breakfast consisted of an all-you-can buffet of cold cereal, a selection of pastries, toast, bagels and cream cheese, juices, fruit, etc. It is served in the Caves Cafe, which also serves lunch. The Caves Cafe has great 1940's era decor and good food at reasonable prices - soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, and GREAT homemade milkshsakes!! I ate lunch there several times. The dining room is more expensive, but the food was excellent! I had the breaded, panfried, blackened Rainbow Trout stuffed with bacon, onions, and mushrooms - to die for!! The staff - especially Leo -were very friendly and helpful. I am planning to stay there again this summer or fall.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Writerwannabee
Reviewed 29 September 2008

THE GOOD:
This was our second stay at the Oregon Caves. The first time was just my wife and I. This time, we brought out seven year old daughter. We absolutely love the lodge. It's rustic, and fits in well with the surroundings. It dates back to the 1920's, so if you expect a four star "wipe your behind" experience, don't go here.

The lodge is well maintained, has beautiful hiking trails, a gift shop, an evening restaurant, a ranger building, and a "diner" for breakfast and lunch.

The caves themselves are well worth a visit, but bundle up, because the caves are ALWAYS in the 50-60 degree range year-round. We took the cave tour twice, once for photos and video, once to just listen to the ranger and look around. The tour is strenuous, so if you can't hike, don't go. I would recommend against anybody with disabilities taking the tour.

The staff are friendly, and were very helpful. We were concerned that our room was going to be noisy, so they switched the room for us to an upper floor, no hastles. It was nice hearing the waterfall outside our window.

There is nothing like sitting in the great downstairs lobby looking out the giant window down the canyon. Reading a book, playing a game of chess, or listening to your iPod.

If you like the rustic cabin feel, and being out in nature, you will be happy.

THE BAD:
There's nothing "bad" about it, as long as you understand it's an old building, and is meant to be that way. The walls are a bit thin, the floors are a bit creaky. No elevator, just stairs. You don't get HBO or TV or any of that stuff because... it's a LODGE. Cell phone service is spotty, because you are in the mountains. If you don't like stairs, make sure you get a first floor room.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank deliot
Reviewed 29 June 2008

Our son had booked here but became ill and since we were in Ashland, not far away we took his reservation.
A long and winding drive to the lodge which is one of the great lodges of Oregon.
The lodge is right next to Oregon Caves a national monument and was built back in 1915. The unique feature is that the outside is bark covered. The lodge is furnished with antiques using Monterey craftsman furniture which after almost 100 years has worn to a fine patina. Not the most comfortable but quite hsitoric.
The staff is exceptional from the front desk to the wait staff. I have never seen such quality even in a Four Seasons or RItz Carlton. Upon checking in the front desk came out grabbed the bags took them to the room and refused a tip. As the wait staff was leaving a late check in at 9:30 pm asked for a glass of wine and a snack. He was told the the restaurant was now closed but our waitress overheard as she was leaving the lobby and volunteered to stay and serve him although she had a 45 minute drive down the mountain.
Rooms were basic in keeping with the period. No TV or phones.
The bed was new and slept very well and we had plenty of ventilation keeping quite cool with the windows open.
We ate at the lodge and the food was very good with great service. Nothing exceptional but wouldn't hesitate to eat here again. You do get a great hot continental breakfast in a throwback coffee shop.
Of course the Cave tour was also exceptional with small groups and quality guides.
One of our best stays ion some place we did not expect to find such service after visiting Crater Lake Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phantom41
Reviewed 12 August 2007

Oregon Caves Lodge is off the beaten track. There is a 20 mile drive off a main road to reach the lodge the last 12 twisting, turning, and narrow. I was glad I chose to stay here as I've seen many of the other National Park lodges and they are quite magnificent. Rooms have their own bath but no TV or air conditioning. I found I didn't need either.
Check in was wonderful and if you happen to have Leo assist you, it will be an outstanding experience. He was most courteous and helpful. My room was on the second level and very cozy. I do think it was a bit overpriced. The park workers at the visitor center had a wealth of information about the cave and hiking trails in the area. I chose to hike during my stay here as that was the purpose of my trip. I've been in Mammoth Cave, Wind cave and Jewel cave so chose not to visit the cave on this visit.
My complaint is the lack of dining options if you arrive late afternoon. The "coffee shop" was closed and the food selection in the gift shop area was non-existent. That left the more formal (and expensive) dining room as the only place to eat. I made due with what I had in my bag for supper. The coffee shop area was open in the morning and I had an ample breakfast at a fair price.
My only other problem was a VERY slow running drain pipe in the bathroom sink.
It was a quiet restful stay in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank hikinggal
Reviewed 4 October 2006

Since I booked the cheapest room they have I was surprised to find it comfortably spacious,well appointed and with a window (in the bathroom) that overlooked the courtyard and waterfall. Dinner was wonderful and the charming diner serves a nice breakfast. Very friendly staff who didn't fuss that I was a little late checking out as I caught some of the cave tour late morning. Their location on top of a gorgeous woodsy mountain makes this a fabulous motorcycle rideand I was very tempted to make another trip back up just for the joy of this ride.

• Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank lady_hd_rider
Reviewed 14 September 2006

This is one of the greatest places in the world to stay overnight! It is a classic mountain lodge. It is not that big so it is not crowded with tourists. The rooms are old-fashioned (no TV's!) with a beautiful forest view out of each window. When we stayed there we felt like we were a million miles away from civilization! The nights are even better---since the hotel is so far away from any other place (the nearest store or building is about 30-45 minutes down the mountain road) it is extremely quiet and peaceful. The coffee shop, which serves a delicious breakfast and good lunch items, is very 1940's in design. The only problem we had was with dinner. The coffee shop closes at around 5:00 PM so one must eat dinner in the dining room. We were traveling with children so the dining room presented a problem. It had gourmet fare (our teenagers didn't like it) and it was expensive. We decided to eat a late lunch in the coffee shop.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank Rogerdob

Been to Oregon Caves Lodge? Share your experiences!