“Great Rustic Charm with a built in attraction!”
Review of Oregon Caves Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cave Junction
Oregon Caves Lodge
Southern Oregon Coast
“Great Rustic Charm with a built in attraction!”
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Living in Oregon all my life, I have always heard good things about the Oregon Caves and more recently about the Oregon Caves Chateau. My son and I had some leisure time before school started back up and we decided to check it out!

Well we were not disappointed! We arrived just in time to catch one of the multiple daily tours of the Oregon Caves. What a natural wonder! To think it only took me 43 years to find it! Not only did the 43 year old enjoy the caves but it was interesting enough to keep the 16 year old's attention as well.

After the tour we hiked on several of the many groomed hiking trails, and witnessed the abundant wildlife. After the outside entertainment we retired to our room to clean up for dinner. The Chateau itself is an amazing piece of architecture. The large wooden beams and iron hardware, not to mention the giant rock fireplace is amazing. Plenty of places to sit and enjoy the view or warm up to a roaring fire. Several board and card games are available free for guests.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and quaint. This is not a luxury hotel, but it is very comfortable. We had our dinner in the dining room at the chateau. The menu was excellent, something for everyone.

I would highly recommend this vacation spot for a family or a couple looking for something out of the ordinary and for those who enjoy the outdoors!

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
SANTA BARBARA
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Great charm and ambience until you try to get some sleep. The walls here are paper thin, I could hear the entire conversation of the people in the room above me. The lobby below closes at 1030 pm but a bunch of people remained down there til midnite and a woman with a very whiny voice talked on and on endlessly... and, for a place with very few children, I am dismayed to say that this is the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. Would have had more peace and quiet at a truck stop on a highway somewhere. Very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank RoadNurse
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 10 May 2009

This was my first time staying at the Oregon Caves Chateau. It is an historic lodge, so more rustic than some accomodations, but a wonderful place to relax!! My room was clean and comfortable, though darkly lit and with only one electric outlet. There are no elevators to the rooms on the second and third floors, and there are stairs from the lobby level down to the restaurants, so I got a workout going up and down stairs. The Chateau is in an incredibly beautiful setting. It has large (although somewhat dark) lobby with windows looking out to the ravine, where you can sit and read, write letters, or converse. The weekend I was there, there was a special event going on, so there was live music in the lobby every evening, and one night there was a fire in the big fireplace. The continental breakfast consisted of an all-you-can buffet of cold cereal, a selection of pastries, toast, bagels and cream cheese, juices, fruit, etc. It is served in the Caves Cafe, which also serves lunch. The Caves Cafe has great 1940's era decor and good food at reasonable prices - soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, and GREAT homemade milkshsakes!! I ate lunch there several times. The dining room is more expensive, but the food was excellent! I had the breaded, panfried, blackened Rainbow Trout stuffed with bacon, onions, and mushrooms - to die for!! The staff - especially Leo -were very friendly and helpful. I am planning to stay there again this summer or fall.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Writerwannabee
Orange County, CA, USA
Reviewed 29 September 2008

THE GOOD:
This was our second stay at the Oregon Caves. The first time was just my wife and I. This time, we brought out seven year old daughter. We absolutely love the lodge. It's rustic, and fits in well with the surroundings. It dates back to the 1920's, so if you expect a four star "wipe your behind" experience, don't go here.

The lodge is well maintained, has beautiful hiking trails, a gift shop, an evening restaurant, a ranger building, and a "diner" for breakfast and lunch.

The caves themselves are well worth a visit, but bundle up, because the caves are ALWAYS in the 50-60 degree range year-round. We took the cave tour twice, once for photos and video, once to just listen to the ranger and look around. The tour is strenuous, so if you can't hike, don't go. I would recommend against anybody with disabilities taking the tour.

The staff are friendly, and were very helpful. We were concerned that our room was going to be noisy, so they switched the room for us to an upper floor, no hastles. It was nice hearing the waterfall outside our window.

There is nothing like sitting in the great downstairs lobby looking out the giant window down the canyon. Reading a book, playing a game of chess, or listening to your iPod.

If you like the rustic cabin feel, and being out in nature, you will be happy.

THE BAD:
There's nothing "bad" about it, as long as you understand it's an old building, and is meant to be that way. The walls are a bit thin, the floors are a bit creaky. No elevator, just stairs. You don't get HBO or TV or any of that stuff because... it's a LODGE. Cell phone service is spotty, because you are in the mountains. If you don't like stairs, make sure you get a first floor room.

• Liked — Location, feel, comfort.
  • Disliked — Lack of ammenities
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank deliot
Oregon crabber
Reviewed 29 June 2008

Our son had booked here but became ill and since we were in Ashland, not far away we took his reservation.
A long and winding drive to the lodge which is one of the great lodges of Oregon.
The lodge is right next to Oregon Caves a national monument and was built back in 1915. The unique feature is that the outside is bark covered. The lodge is furnished with antiques using Monterey craftsman furniture which after almost 100 years has worn to a fine patina. Not the most comfortable but quite hsitoric.
The staff is exceptional from the front desk to the wait staff. I have never seen such quality even in a Four Seasons or RItz Carlton. Upon checking in the front desk came out grabbed the bags took them to the room and refused a tip. As the wait staff was leaving a late check in at 9:30 pm asked for a glass of wine and a snack. He was told the the restaurant was now closed but our waitress overheard as she was leaving the lobby and volunteered to stay and serve him although she had a 45 minute drive down the mountain.
Rooms were basic in keeping with the period. No TV or phones.
The bed was new and slept very well and we had plenty of ventilation keeping quite cool with the windows open.
We ate at the lodge and the food was very good with great service. Nothing exceptional but wouldn't hesitate to eat here again. You do get a great hot continental breakfast in a throwback coffee shop.
Of course the Cave tour was also exceptional with small groups and quality guides.
One of our best stays ion some place we did not expect to find such service after visiting Crater Lake Lodge.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Phantom41
Grand Rapids
Reviewed 12 August 2007

Oregon Caves Lodge is off the beaten track. There is a 20 mile drive off a main road to reach the lodge the last 12 twisting, turning, and narrow. I was glad I chose to stay here as I've seen many of the other National Park lodges and they are quite magnificent. Rooms have their own bath but no TV or air conditioning. I found I didn't need either.
Check in was wonderful and if you happen to have Leo assist you, it will be an outstanding experience. He was most courteous and helpful. My room was on the second level and very cozy. I do think it was a bit overpriced. The park workers at the visitor center had a wealth of information about the cave and hiking trails in the area. I chose to hike during my stay here as that was the purpose of my trip. I've been in Mammoth Cave, Wind cave and Jewel cave so chose not to visit the cave on this visit.
My complaint is the lack of dining options if you arrive late afternoon. The "coffee shop" was closed and the food selection in the gift shop area was non-existent. That left the more formal (and expensive) dining room as the only place to eat. I made due with what I had in my bag for supper. The coffee shop area was open in the morning and I had an ample breakfast at a fair price.
My only other problem was a VERY slow running drain pipe in the bathroom sink.
It was a quiet restful stay in a beautiful setting.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dining options
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank hikinggal
s calif
Reviewed 4 October 2006

Since I booked the cheapest room they have I was surprised to find it comfortably spacious,well appointed and with a window (in the bathroom) that overlooked the courtyard and waterfall. Dinner was wonderful and the charming diner serves a nice breakfast. Very friendly staff who didn't fuss that I was a little late checking out as I caught some of the cave tour late morning. Their location on top of a gorgeous woodsy mountain makes this a fabulous motorcycle rideand I was very tempted to make another trip back up just for the joy of this ride.

• Stayed September 2006
#4 of 18 in Grants Pass
The Chateau at the Oregon Caves
The Chateau at the Oregon Caves
#1 of 2 in Cave Junction

Been to Oregon Caves Lodge? Share your experiences!