“Wonderful overnight stay”
Review of Oregon Caves Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cave Junction
Oregon Caves Lodge
s calif
“Wonderful overnight stay”
Reviewed 4 October 2006

Since I booked the cheapest room they have I was surprised to find it comfortably spacious,well appointed and with a window (in the bathroom) that overlooked the courtyard and waterfall. Dinner was wonderful and the charming diner serves a nice breakfast. Very friendly staff who didn't fuss that I was a little late checking out as I caught some of the cave tour late morning. Their location on top of a gorgeous woodsy mountain makes this a fabulous motorcycle rideand I was very tempted to make another trip back up just for the joy of this ride.

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank lady_hd_rider

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
La Canada, California
Reviewed 14 September 2006

This is one of the greatest places in the world to stay overnight! It is a classic mountain lodge. It is not that big so it is not crowded with tourists. The rooms are old-fashioned (no TV's!) with a beautiful forest view out of each window. When we stayed there we felt like we were a million miles away from civilization! The nights are even better---since the hotel is so far away from any other place (the nearest store or building is about 30-45 minutes down the mountain road) it is extremely quiet and peaceful. The coffee shop, which serves a delicious breakfast and good lunch items, is very 1940's in design. The only problem we had was with dinner. The coffee shop closes at around 5:00 PM so one must eat dinner in the dining room. We were traveling with children so the dining room presented a problem. It had gourmet fare (our teenagers didn't like it) and it was expensive. We decided to eat a late lunch in the coffee shop.

• Liked — The location high in the mountains away from civilization
  • Disliked — The evening dinner menu
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to be far away from any store or restaurant (come with everything you might need)
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank Rogerdob
midwest
Reviewed 15 August 2006

Visited the Chateau for 2 nights last month-very affordable suite of rooms for 5 people-heard all the ghost stories from Joe and other staff-food was great in the diner and restaurant-no TV, telephones so bring some books and ask the front desk for some 100 watt bulbs-rooms are dimly lit-caves are great and the hike to the Big Tree was worth it-if I did it again I would only stay 1 night-you can do it all in that time

1 Thank cutter8
new york
Reviewed 16 July 2006

With beautiful hiking trails for kids to explore, the cave and old time “haunted” atmosphere is great for ghost stories. NO TV makes for plenty of family game time and conversation. I agree the TROUT was the BEST I’ve ever had. Romantic too - Quiet at night , sleeping to the sound of the water fall. Well worth the price for this exceptional family experience!

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 February 2006

I stayed at this lodge while doing the cave tour. I drove all the way up from California. I was at the lodge for a couple of days, and they were enjoyable. My room overlooked the small pond and waterfall on the property. It was clean and pleasant. Didn't see the ghost. The lobby was beautiful and serene. So was the dining room--I remember having an excellent trout there. The creek through the room was a nice touch. I had a great milkshake from the coffee shop. This for me was one of the top lodge experiences I havc had in a National Park or Monument.

• Stayed July 2002
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 29 August 2005

Charming, rustic, quiet and calming - keeping in mind the age of the building! Great lobby area to relax in the afternoons, or after dinner for a drink or board game. Recommend driving up to the hotel during the day and in good weather (worth it, despite the turns/incline). Take the hotel tour in addition to the Caves tour - very interesting! Would stay again if in the area -

4 Thank J&MDAV
Kerby, Oregon
Reviewed 21 June 2005

The Chateau itself is an interesting place with an interesting history. But there are rooms upstairs, and one in particular, that is haunted. I have stayed at the Chateau twice. Once, in one of the rooms on the lower floor and once in one of the upstairs rooms, the one adjacent to the 'haunted' room. And I will tell you, I am happy to have been next door and not IN the haunted room. To know that you are on the top floor of a building, yet to hear the tread of human footsteps pacing *above* your head and the crying of what sounds like a child outside of your window. VERY strange. I am wondering if the person who wrote the 'one star' review may have booked into the haunted room. Blood on a towel and a slimy bathtub? Most bizarre!

I have rated the Chateau as Neutral, because the rooms really are spendy for what you get. If you are looking for a nice and affordable place to stay on Caves Highway, try COUNTRY HILLS RESORT. There are private cabins, motel rooms and a campground with RV spaces and camp sites, food is served in Summer, there is an ice-cream parlor and the folks that run the place are truly nice. It's about twelve miles to the Caves, but that is not a big deal. Rates are very reasonable at CHR and there is a big, beautiful creek running through the back of the property and easy hiking trails. I lived at CHR in a cabin for nine months while building was being done on my property in Kerby and recommend the place highly. The food is 'down home', not fancy, but it's tasty and Don & Judy will make sure you don't go hungry!

I will also add that food at the Caves Chateau *was* exquisite, world-class, in 2003, but the quality took a nosedive in 2004. The meal prices haven't changed -- you'll still be paying for what *should* be an extraordinary meal, but what you will get is sub-par. But hey, if you are into hauntings and want to experience something genuinely spooky, ask to be put in the haunted room (or next door...you'll get some of the overflow vibes, which were strange enough for me!).

• Stayed September 2004
#4 of 18 in Grants Pass
The Chateau at the Oregon Caves
The Chateau at the Oregon Caves
#1 of 2 in Cave Junction

Been to Oregon Caves Lodge? Share your experiences!