“Location is Perfect”
Review of Oregon Caves Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cave Junction
Oregon Caves Lodge
Reviewed 7 July 2010

The chalet was built in the 1930's. The appeal is location as it is a 20 mile winding road back to town. We stayed there 2 nites. The location is very much in the woods and just feet from the cave opening. There are hiking trails also. It was hot there when we stayed and there is no air and we got the setting sun so the room was hot.

This is a rustic chalet and nothing close to a posh resort . I knew that so it was fine. The coffee shop was old school like the old soda fountains with a winding counter and no tables. Dining room was OK but the food seemed a bit overpriced for what it was but then you are not close to anything else.

I was fun for a night or maybe two but any more would be a long time there as the trails are not long hikes.

Also when warm at night just go near the cave opening and get a nice cool breaze out of it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emcman
There are newer reviews for Oregon Caves Lodge

Reviewed 23 June 2010

You can't beat the location if nature is what you want. The lodge/chateau is rustic, but nice. The main dining room was a little disappointing, but the coffee shop was excellent. We plan to come back again even though it is 1,500 miles from home.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2009

The Chateau at the Oregon Caves (I am unsure why they call it "the Lodge" here) is celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2009, and a visit there is like a step back into a different time. Everything from the design, to the furniture, from the diner to the ambivalence created by the 30s and 40s music playing in the lobby, takes you back to that time, similar to today, of economic and international uncertainties. But, as back then, the magnificent Chateau in the mountains can also transport you away from all those troubles.

The pace there is much more relaxed than at any of the other National Park Lodges I have visited. The guests seem to be less tourist like, and while families are found there, children are fewer, and the average guest age is a bit more mature. Aside from the caves themselves, which generally warrant only a single 90 minute tour in a visit, and a few short and generally unchallenging trails, there are few attractions, and Monument calls for a overnight visit as opposed to a longer stay more common at Yosemite, Yellowstone, or even Crater Lake. This probably accounts for the lack of families, as most would make a day-trip rather than overnight stay.

This is not to say that the sights there are not wonderful. The Siskiyou Forest and mountains in which the Chateau sits are beautiful and the Caves are the most unique in the West. The graceful pace and serene setting create a more romantic retreat, attractive to couples. And the architecture and facilities are awe inspiring and inspirational.

Inside your room, however, be prepared to be under-whelmed. While the views can be gorgeous, particularly if you are looking out at the canyon, or the Caves Creek pool, the walls are thin and lined with unattractive fire-retardant tiles. The sprinkler system hangs from the ceiling, and the bathrooms are plain. The beds can be sunken in the center, though the furniture is authentic period western-lodge style. You will hear the neighbors walking about, and running the water, and you might be awoken in the night by the pipes knocking. If you can attribute this all to the fact that it is a historic lodge, operated on a restricted budget, and not a modern comfort and convenience center, and can appreciate the lack of telephones and TVs in your room, you will enjoy your stay.

Dining at the Chateau is one of the places most pleasant surprises. For as few guests as make their way there, and with it so out-of-the-way and lacking of competition, the Chateau performs grandly. In fact, I can say that the evening dining room is the best of any national park lodge in which I have eaten. Most lodge ding rooms seem to take for granted that their guests will accept what they get in exchange for the views.

The Chateau, perhaps recognizing there are less families and more discerning couples, strives for excellence. The food has been unique, scrumptious, and tastefully presented, with a fair price. The service has been good, perhaps because the servers seem to be local and comitted rather than the seasonal workers usually found in National Park Lodges. The view from the Dining room is gorgeous, and the Cave Creek stream runs through it. The 30s style Diner is a kick and serves up a nice continental breakfast for hotel guests, as well as lunch at additional cost for all. Be sure to look into Cave Tour, Dinner and room package deals.

Please keep in mind, The Chateau is simply not for everyone, and those seeking luxury and urban elegance would be severely disappointed. But those appreciative of architecture embracing nature, and a wonderful and romantic setting, will find it memorable. I did so much so that I proposed to my wife five years ago there, and celebrated the five year anniversary with a return trip this year, and I can think of no more memorable place to have done it.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank geislg
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Living in Oregon all my life, I have always heard good things about the Oregon Caves and more recently about the Oregon Caves Chateau. My son and I had some leisure time before school started back up and we decided to check it out!

Well we were not disappointed! We arrived just in time to catch one of the multiple daily tours of the Oregon Caves. What a natural wonder! To think it only took me 43 years to find it! Not only did the 43 year old enjoy the caves but it was interesting enough to keep the 16 year old's attention as well.

After the tour we hiked on several of the many groomed hiking trails, and witnessed the abundant wildlife. After the outside entertainment we retired to our room to clean up for dinner. The Chateau itself is an amazing piece of architecture. The large wooden beams and iron hardware, not to mention the giant rock fireplace is amazing. Plenty of places to sit and enjoy the view or warm up to a roaring fire. Several board and card games are available free for guests.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and quaint. This is not a luxury hotel, but it is very comfortable. We had our dinner in the dining room at the chateau. The menu was excellent, something for everyone.

I would highly recommend this vacation spot for a family or a couple looking for something out of the ordinary and for those who enjoy the outdoors!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Great charm and ambience until you try to get some sleep. The walls here are paper thin, I could hear the entire conversation of the people in the room above me. The lobby below closes at 1030 pm but a bunch of people remained down there til midnite and a woman with a very whiny voice talked on and on endlessly... and, for a place with very few children, I am dismayed to say that this is the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. Would have had more peace and quiet at a truck stop on a highway somewhere. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank RoadNurse
Reviewed 10 May 2009

This was my first time staying at the Oregon Caves Chateau. It is an historic lodge, so more rustic than some accomodations, but a wonderful place to relax!! My room was clean and comfortable, though darkly lit and with only one electric outlet. There are no elevators to the rooms on the second and third floors, and there are stairs from the lobby level down to the restaurants, so I got a workout going up and down stairs. The Chateau is in an incredibly beautiful setting. It has large (although somewhat dark) lobby with windows looking out to the ravine, where you can sit and read, write letters, or converse. The weekend I was there, there was a special event going on, so there was live music in the lobby every evening, and one night there was a fire in the big fireplace. The continental breakfast consisted of an all-you-can buffet of cold cereal, a selection of pastries, toast, bagels and cream cheese, juices, fruit, etc. It is served in the Caves Cafe, which also serves lunch. The Caves Cafe has great 1940's era decor and good food at reasonable prices - soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, and GREAT homemade milkshsakes!! I ate lunch there several times. The dining room is more expensive, but the food was excellent! I had the breaded, panfried, blackened Rainbow Trout stuffed with bacon, onions, and mushrooms - to die for!! The staff - especially Leo -were very friendly and helpful. I am planning to stay there again this summer or fall.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Writerwannabee
Reviewed 29 September 2008

THE GOOD:
This was our second stay at the Oregon Caves. The first time was just my wife and I. This time, we brought out seven year old daughter. We absolutely love the lodge. It's rustic, and fits in well with the surroundings. It dates back to the 1920's, so if you expect a four star "wipe your behind" experience, don't go here.

The lodge is well maintained, has beautiful hiking trails, a gift shop, an evening restaurant, a ranger building, and a "diner" for breakfast and lunch.

The caves themselves are well worth a visit, but bundle up, because the caves are ALWAYS in the 50-60 degree range year-round. We took the cave tour twice, once for photos and video, once to just listen to the ranger and look around. The tour is strenuous, so if you can't hike, don't go. I would recommend against anybody with disabilities taking the tour.

The staff are friendly, and were very helpful. We were concerned that our room was going to be noisy, so they switched the room for us to an upper floor, no hastles. It was nice hearing the waterfall outside our window.

There is nothing like sitting in the great downstairs lobby looking out the giant window down the canyon. Reading a book, playing a game of chess, or listening to your iPod.

If you like the rustic cabin feel, and being out in nature, you will be happy.

THE BAD:
There's nothing "bad" about it, as long as you understand it's an old building, and is meant to be that way. The walls are a bit thin, the floors are a bit creaky. No elevator, just stairs. You don't get HBO or TV or any of that stuff because... it's a LODGE. Cell phone service is spotty, because you are in the mountains. If you don't like stairs, make sure you get a first floor room.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank deliot
#1 of 15 in Grants Pass
The Chateau at the Oregon Caves
The Chateau at the Oregon Caves
#1 of 2 in Cave Junction

Been to Oregon Caves Lodge? Share your experiences!