“Great Beaches, Lots of family fun”

Padre Island National Seashore
More attraction details
Owner description: A 15-minute drive from downtown Corpus Christi transports you to this magnificent 70-mile stretch of white sand beach, scenic dunes and warm ocean water, offering ideal conditions for swimming, fishing, beach-combing, windsurfing, camping, bird-watching and viewing wildlife.
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Beaches, Lots of family fun”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The entry fee is worth it. I think it cost $10. The beaches are nice and clean. Showers, gift shop, and plenty of parking.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Rich Loofe L

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
UK
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Doesn't live up to the hype.”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was my last ditch effort to find something I liked about Corpus Christi and it was a disaster.

Let's be honest, this beach is a bit manky. There is a narrow strip of clean sand right before the ocean, but behind that there are mounds of dried seaweed and a wide range of general debris. It is very quiet and you can drive down the sand, but it's not really worth the effort unless you're desperate for some beach time. It's about on a par with (or possibly even slightly below) the beaches at Galveston. On the plus side, the road that you follow to get to the park makes for a fabulous drive.

(Disclaimer: I didn't go as far as the visitors centre. Maybe it was nicer there?)

Good points: quiet.

Bad points: covered in rubbish and seaweed.

Visited September 2013
Weatherford, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“70 miles of Beach”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Seventy miles of natural beach, go as far down the island as your car or truck can go , be careful of getting stuck in the sand. The visitor center has restrooms, showers, changing area, convenience store, and gift shop. There are camping areas, day use areas with picnic tables. Best ten dollars I spent on the whole trip.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank mark w
Talala
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great view and fun place to visit.”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Great place to spend a day at the beach! We built a sandcastle, swam and searched for shells. The sand was to soft to drive very far on so we didn't get to see the big shells. But we had a great time. We try and go there each time we visit family in Corpus. It's well worth the short drive.

Visited August 2013
McKinney, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Guided excursion all the way to the end”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I have been visiting with my family for many years, but I had never driven down the beach all the way (60 miles) to the end (Mansfield Channel), because I didn't have a 4WD vehicle. This summer I was visiting, and I thought of renting one, but I didn't want to deal with the stress of trying to avoid getting stuck, especially with the family. I was able to hook up with a really great guide, Jeff Wolda of Padre Island Light Tackle Adventures who normally leads shore fishing expeditions, but also leads sightseeing expeditions in his 4WD pick up truck. At $400, its not cheap, but we thought it was worth it. I, my wife, and our 3 young children fit comfortably in the truck, and we went all the way to the end and back, stopping to swim, beachcomb, and have a picnic lunch. The beach is very beautiful, and probably the only one that long with no development (and none allowed because it is a National Park). I highly recommend him, his web site is pi-adventures.com, his # is 361-215-8400.

Visited August 2013