“disappointing and charmless”

Best Western Padre Island
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during our Texas road trip and have to say that it is the absolute worst place that we stayed. The room was stark, uninviting, in desperate need of renovation, especially the bathroom, the towels were worn out and the bed sheets had holes in them.
Breakfast was disgusting - needless to say we only went once. Cheap cereals, bread and english muffins that were stale, boiled eggs that were off, withered fruit, bad coffee - need I say more?
It reeks of penny pinching.
Funnily enough we stayed in another Best Western in Houston on the next leg of the trip and it was exactly the opposite .... for the same price!
I must add that Padre Island as a whole was not impressive at all and unless you really have to, don't go.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mistyweaver
BW_on_the_Island, Management at Best Western Padre Island, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy North Padre Island nor your stay here at the Best Western on the Island. We pride ourselves on our friendly and professional staff that takes great care in making sure the rooms are beyond standard. Our hotel has been extensively renovated in the last twelve months including rooms, front desk, and breakfast area. We appreciate the breakfast feedback and have since upgraded the free continental breakfast to a free hot breakfast. We assure you, and every guest, any decisions made are always made with the concern of our guest. We strive to make every guests experience the best one possible, and will continue to make decisions that will enable us to improve our hotel and enhance the experience of our guest to be even better than the last. We hope that if you ever decide to visit North Padre Island or Corpus Christi that you might consider staying with us again. Thank you again for taking the time to review us, safe travels in the future.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Padre Island

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Hotel is located right off of Padre Island drive; very convenient location. The rooms have a view of the bay. However, this is not a "romantic hotel"; it is more for families and fishermen. The rooms are clean, and the hotel staff is professional, courteous and very friendly. The food is very basic; cereals, yogurt, gravy and biscuits and it's all free. Coffee is okay. Waffles are great! One thing that we weren't satisfied with was the water pressure in the shower; low pressure. The front desk staff is professional and friendly. It is obvious that the cleaning staff do an excellent job, not only in our room, but in the other rooms. The lobby and dining areas are spotless. I suggest you rent a room upstairs and toward the back of the hotel for less noise. It is a pet-friendly hotel, but only if you stay downstairs; upstairs rooms are off limits to pets. Phone number: (361) 949-2300

Room Tip: The hotel has two floors; the 2nd floor rooms have valted ceilings, so they look a lot larger. For g...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave E
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Great customer service as usual! The hotel is right on North Padre Island and an absolutely convenient location if you're planning for some fishing/boating fun. The do have available boat parking, laundry facility, and ice machine. The definite must haves! If you want beautiful vaulted ceilings check out the 2nd floor. The 1st floor is ceramic tiled for those avid fishermen that don't want to deal with carpet coming back from the muddy coastline. My husband got frustrated with the remote (it had no battery charge)...I called late around 11pm and they were there in less than 5 mins to replace the remote. Great service indeed! I did rate the value as very good because when we previously stayed during a non-holiday rate it was at a much lower rate. I understand now that the upgrades have been made to each room it is necessary to increase the rates. I don't like the mini pillows though...I found it odd to lay my head on. There is no fitness center so I rated that average. The food can be alittle bit better. A bit of diversity would be great. Other than that I have no complaints and this place still remains our favorite mini-vacation go-to hotel.

Room Tip: Book online for the internet rate! Saves a few bucks!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Thea R
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Cudos to Best Western for ditching the styrofoam!!! Breakfast was the best we have had in any of the chains. This place was super clean. Better bed than we have at home! We slept great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Clean, quiet, wonderful!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed 20 December 2012

The staff was friendly and helpful. I used the laundry which was adequate. The front desk will sell you soap for one dollar. My room was quiet and clean. Ask for the rear of the property to be farther away from road noise. When you come from Corpus Christi, look for the motel on the left and make a uturn to get there. The motel is about three miles away from the city but as the title implies, it's has great access to Padre Island.
I went to a pretty good aquarium complete with dolphin show at 11AM. There is an art museum practically next door.

Room Tip: ask for your room toward the rear and away from the roadway
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Mare60845
Reviewed 6 December 2012

The only thing was that, when I booked the reservation was for 2 rooms. I wanted them next door to each other not on different floors. In my party was my husband and I and my 2 kids (teenagers). So I didn't sleep very well knowing that my kids where in the second floor in a area that I'm not familer.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank MARIA P
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We loved the location because we weren't in the city of Corpus Christi. We had great views of the water. The room was nice & big. Breakfast had great food. Loved the biscuits and the variety. The staff couldn't have been any friendlier. They gave us great recommendations. We were close to quite a few things.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple